Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As reported by The Vancouver Sun, three men discharged bear repellant during a robbery of Apple's Oakridge Centre retail store in Vancouver while the store was full of customers last night.

oakridge-apple-store-.jpg
Photo: @CTVBCBRK
Police say three men entered the store shortly before 7:00 PM last night while around 40 customers were in the store, discharging the spray and stealing "a small number of electronics [items]" before fleeing.

Five people were treated at the scene by paramedics for the effects of exposure to the spray. A police dog unit recovered some of the stolen items but the thieves have not yet been found.

It is not known whether there is a link to a robbery in January in the same city, where two men robbed a jewelry store at gunpoint before fleeing 'in a cloud of bear spray'.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

The discussion thread is currently closed.

Article Link: Thieves Use Bear Spray in Robbery of Vancouver's Oakridge Centre Apple Store

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
On the face of it, the scenario might seem absurd but I guess the crooks can't be charged with armed robbery if they're caught. As it stands, their gambit seems to have paid off.

Reactions: adib

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
You'll get a lead sandwich if you attack me with bear spray, pending it's legal for me to carry at the location.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
This is Canada. Most people don't have guns and bear attacks are the real danger we face every day.

Just kidding. The real danger comes from some of our politicians.

I live in Ontario. The most danger we face here are from pointed sticks. And they will most likely ban those here soon too!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
On the face of it, the scenario might seem absurd but I guess the crooks can't be charged with armed robbery if they're caught. As it stands, their gambit seems to have paid off.
Use of Bear Spray makes this a violent robbery, and as I understand it, puts it into the same category as if a gun had been used.
This is Canada. Most people don't have guns and bear attacks are the real danger we face every day.

Just kidding. The real danger comes from some of our politicians.
Actually, we don't have guns... and I am more at risk of a bear attack here on the coast than being shot. Except by a hunter. One of the amazing things about Vancouver is that you can a city bus, for a regular fare, to one of several parks on the North Shore where you can hiking in the wilderness, get lost, and die. Or be attacked by a bear. Happens every year (the getting lost part and dying part, bear attacks are usually rare... mostly because people carry bear spray).
You'll get a lead sandwich if you attack me with bear spray, pending it's legal for me to carry at the location.
It's not legal, and you'll get arrested. If you cause harm to the robber you may even get charged with assault, unless you can show you were actually in imminent danger of being injured or killed.

No one was hurt, some stuff was stolen. The police will probably catch these thieves because they appear to be developing a pattern.

A wise old cop once told me that anyone who isn't an idiot can rob a bank and get away with it... once. It's when you start repeating yourself that the cops catch you.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
A wise old cop once told me that anyone who isn't an idiot can rob a bank and get away with it... once. It's when you start repeating yourself that the cops catch you.

Well I better get a damn good heist that first time.

----------

So after being blinded by bear spray you'd just take a gun out and start unloading?

Of course not. That puts others at risk. That's a criminal act in Texas even if you have your license.

----------

should have used your own strength and not a machine's strength.

Nah. I'd rather be sure to end things.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Well I better get a damn good heist that first time....
That's almost always the case. The thieves have an inflated vision how much they'll get, and then when the get away with it the first time (it seems) they go back for more.
Nah. I'd rather be sure to end things.
It's just a pity that for every bad guy who gets killed by a gun, about 8 other innocent people are killed by friends and family member during an argument.

Oh, well I guess that is the price of freedom... :rolleyes:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MOD NOTE: Most of comments in the thread have tended towards a PRSI discussion, so we moved the thread to PRSI.

B

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Yeah, I'm sure you'll be making loads of lead sandwiches (hold the mayo please) as your wriggling around on the floor temporarily blinded by the spray.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I think we should ban bear spray

nobody hunts bears, it has no use other than for criminals to cause mayhem. It's not like anybody needs it.

:rolleyes:

I guess you've never been to Minnesota, where there is a bear season for hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.