Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Again people calling me out for a fact that even most Apple fans accept, iOS has gone stale, as i said earlier hardware increments are fine but you would be a fool to tell me iOS is not stale. Podcast app: fail, siri: lots of complaints and features are very limited, upgrades are slow, maps: failure for most people. Passbook: hardly used by MOST people because it has updating issues, so few apps support it and people just use the main app instead of passbook. Aside from that what has Apple done in iOS since 2010? Literally nothing, its gone stale and hardware bumps alone wont win Apple any accolades. Hardware aside if the software is old school compared to competition, people will switch. My critics here should man up and accept that iOS 7 needs a radical bump like os 9 to os 10

So, tell us what the competition has software wise that is considered "radical"? If we use Samsung as an example: SVoice, total fail. No where near as good as Siri. Face unlock; sketchy and doesn't really work well unless under perfect conditions. Widgets? Had them on an older Android device and felt they were useless [personal opinion].

I think the big bell/whistle for Android's latest Jelly Bean was "Project Butter"; something needed to get rid of lag...

You're confusing Stale with boredom. And both are really subjective.

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
New to Apple aren't you. No they don't have to increase the size to 5 inches, now or in the future. They will sell millions upon millions with the size they have now. Or bigger than 5 inches you post. Good grief, that's in the territory of a tablet, not a phone for goodness sakes. :eek: :mad:

No I am not. I have using the iPhone 4 for a while now. I was not suggesting that they abandon the current size (iPhone 5 is a horrible size factor in IMO) but to introduce a bigger size as there is a demand for it. iPhone has been losing ground to other manufacturers because they have been sitting on their past glories. Sony was great in the past great products like Mini-Disc, Walkman, CRT TV and Hi Fi products. They stopped listening to the consumers. Look what happened to them. They are just making a come back after a long time by introducing Experia Z.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
So, tell us what the competition has software wise that is considered "radical"? If we use Samsung as an example: SVoice, total fail. No where near as good as Siri. Face unlock; sketchy and doesn't really work well unless under perfect conditions. Widgets? Had them on an older Android device and felt they were useless [personal opinion].

I think the big bell/whistle for Android's latest Jelly Bean was "Project Butter"; something needed to get rid of lag...

One thing, app data sharing between all apps. Apple locks down to a minimal what and where you can share, its more common sense than radical

----------

Today even famous Apple writer Andy Inahtko switched from iphone to Android

http://www.techhive.com/article/2030042/why-i-switched-from-iphone-to-android.html

Its a very long article you guys should read:

1. Killer features

2. Better keyboards

3. A true large screen

This is part 1. Part 2 and 3 are next week. So you can see even the famous Apple fanboy switched today

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
One thing, app data sharing between all apps. Apple locks down to a minimal what and where you can share, its more common sense than radical

----------

http://www.techhive.com/article/2030042/why-i-switched-from-iphone-to-android.html

1. Killer features

2. Better keyboards

3. A true large screen

This is part 1. Part 2 and 3 are next week. So you can see even the famous Apple fanboy switched today

They don't need iOS 7 to have a killer feature. People will still buy it and it's not stale. Because a new feature isn't introduced, doesn't mean something is stale. Longtime iOS users can go and try Android or BB10. You like their "killer feature" you stick with it until you feel that they are "stale". Come to iOS again and back. Let's be real, when it's working fine, no need to add something killer. You feel something is stale, go use something new. When that becomes stale, then you move to another. It's called a choice. Apple doesn't need to do anything to keep you or those who want a widget. Get something that works for you and stop talking about a killer feature Apple needs to make money. iOS is fine for what it does and it is fine for majority of the people. Those who are not happy will find android. All you are saying is that you want an Apple product with Android installed. That won't happen so do what you must. It's stupid to come to a board and write something like you're leaving if Apple doesn't do this or that.

Grow up people.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC

LOL what are you even talking about!? S-voice stinks but Google Now sh**** all over Siri.

Talking about some of the features though, how about the ability to keep the device awake by simply looking at the screen? How about the ability of apps to interact with one another (ex: if I want to be able to send an image with Whatsapp or any other messaging app, I can do that on Android...not in iOS) ? How about the ability to REALLY multitask (there's a reason your gmail, mailbox etc. apps can't download emails in the background...there are only specific multitasking API's which is a poor man's alternative to true multitasking)? How about the ability to change your default apps (brower, mail apps etc.)?! Siri can't even communicate with apps unless Apple approves them.

Throw in the ability to change default keyboard and customize the look of your home screen and there are quite a bit of benefits of Android right off the top of my head! Next time, you should actually USE Android before you comment on it.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011

----------

1. Killer features

2. Better keyboards

3. A true large screen

Well geeze, in that case better just pack up the iPhone train, the parties over...

Let's do this: I predict the 5S (or whatever the next iteration is called), that does NOT have any of the demanded "features" will SELL OUT FOR WEEKS (probably Months), and will convert more Android users than it loses TO it.

Just because a few spec whores leave the iPhone for a few more GHz, or a bigger screen, or some gimmicky feature like NFC is NOT an indication that the iPhone is in any "trouble".

If you are so enamoured by the features you think people are leaving the iPhone for: LEAVE. Again, it's really ok, but people like you refuse to.

You'll complain and complain, but end up buying the 5S anyway.

I'm sure you could make it bigger, better, badder, and faster. So what? It wouldn't necessarily SELL better (or for a better margin), and that's all that matters to Apple.

Your ideas are fine, but you fail to see that there is absolutely no NEED for Apple to implement them. If you're desperate for gimmicks and specs, go buy an SGS3 (or the 4, which will be impressive too I'm sure). It still won't be an iPhone. I have a hunch you know that, which is why you are unable to move on.

The iPhone 5 is a KILLER device, and the 5S, even if incrementally updated, will be another beast. It doesn't NEED to be reinvented. Apple isn't the desperate manufacturer. Samsung is. That's why they try literally everything to gain attention. If that's what you want, go buy one. It's REALLY ok.

You'll be back:p

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
They don't need iOS 7 to have a killer feature. People will still buy it and it's not stale. Because a new feature isn't introduced, doesn't mean something is stale. Longtime iOS users can go and try Android or BB10. You like their "killer feature" you stick with it until you feel that they are "stale". Come to iOS again and back. Let's be real, when it's working fine, no need to add something killer. You feel something is stale, go use something new. When that becomes stale, then you move to another. It's called a choice. Apple doesn't need to do anything to keep you or those who want a widget. Get something that works for you and stop talking about a killer feature Apple needs to make money. iOS is fine for what it does and it is fine for majority of the people. Those who are not happy will find android. All you are saying is that you want an Apple product with Android installed. That won't happen so do what you must. It's stupid to come to a board and write something like you're leaving if Apple doesn't do this or that.

Grow up people.

Windows xp worked fine too, no need for windows 7 right?

----------

Well geeze, in that case better just pack up the iPhone train, the parties over...

Let's do this: I predict the 5S (or whatever the next iteration is called), that does NOT have any of the demanded "features" will SELL OUT FOR WEEKS (probably Months), and will convert more Android users than it loses TO it.

Just because a few spec whores leave the iPhone for a few more GHz, or a bigger screen, or some gimmicky feature like NFC is NOT an indication that the iPhone is in any "trouble".

If you are so enamoured by the features you think people are leaving the iPhone for: LEAVE. Again, it's really ok, but people like you refuse to.

I'm sure you could make it bigger, better, badder, and faster. So what? It wouldn't necessarily SELL better (or for a better margin), and that's all that matters to Apple.

Your ideas are fine, but you fail to see that there is absolutely no NEED for Apple to implement them. If you're desperate for gimmicks and specs, go buy an SGS3 (or the 4, which will be impressive too I'm sure). It still won't be an iPhone. I have a hunch you know that, which is why you are unable to move on.

The iPhone 5 is a KILLER device, and the 5S, even if incrementally updated, will be another beast. It doesn't NEED to be reinvented. Apple isn't the desperate manufacturer. Samsung is. That's why they try literally everything to gain attention. If that's what you want, go buy one. It's REALLY ok.

Big selling

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/03/01/leap-wireless-stuck-with-100-million-of-unsold-iphones/

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
LOL what are you even talking about!? S-voice stinks but Google Now sh**** all over Siri.

Talking about some of the features though, how about the ability to keep the device awake by simply looking at the screen? How about the ability of apps to interact with one another (ex: if I want to be able to send an image with Whatsapp or any other messaging app, I can do that on Android...not in iOS) ? How about the ability to REALLY multitask (there's a reason your gmail, mailbox etc. apps can't download emails in the background...there are only specific multitasking API's which is a poor man's alternative to true multitasking)? How about the ability to change your default apps (brower, mail apps etc.)?! Siri can't even communicate with apps unless Apple approves them.

Throw in the ability to change default keyboard and customize the look of your home screen and there are quite a bit of benefits of Android right off the top of my head! Next time, you should actually USE Android before you comment on it.

Google Now isn't all that impressive - it didn't correctly find my home location nor any of my favorite teams. From what I had been told, Google Now should've been able to tell me all the information I wanted to know without having to configure settings....crap.

As far a voice recognition goes, sure Google Now may be better - I personally don't have all that much trouble with Siri, but I enunciate. Siri also can do things Google Now can't, like set location based reminders (not an alarm) or text something for me. Both have pros and cons imo - and by the way, check the sig.....I use both.

I understand the need to use alternatives (messaging apps, keyboards, browsers, etc...) and in some cases, that's justified. The keyboard could be better and allowing the user to change default browsers makes sense, even though I'd stick with Safari given it syncs with my iMac and iPad mini. But as far as sharing with other apps, you're allowed to do most everything you need to do. Why would I NOT use the stock messaging app - especially when iMessage exists (1,000x better than anything Android has to offer in the SMS/MMS realm). Each app will allow you to attach certain things - so just because you can't go into the camera roll and see a list of 1,000 apps to share with means you can't share that photo???

Apple puts the emphasis on apps....if you want to do something, generally you do it within the app itself. While convenient and widely used sharing services are made available, I wouldn't want a list of every damn app on my phone that could share something there.....what a mess! If I want to share a photo through something other than FB, Twitter, PhotoStream or iMessage, I can go into the specific app I'm sharing through and attach the photo through the app's own UI.....

And don't even start on the "true multitasking"....the fact that my iPhone doesn't let apps run rampant behind the scenes is actually a big selling point for me.....I look down at my Nexus and its at 60% and I'm like "WTF, I haven't even used it??" Then I look in the battery stats and the messaging app was running for 9 hours....and it wasn't even sending anything.....or some Google Services I turned off are suddenly running....

"True multitasking" is a myth....I don't want my apps running rampant, I don't need to watch a video AND text on a 4"-5" screen.....I can listen to music while I browse on my iPhone which is all the multitasking I need....plus apps cache their data for quick retrieval....

And I've added my own background and arranged my apps how I want on my home screen - customized how I like it....

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Google Now isn't all that impressive - it didn't correctly find my home location nor any of my favorite teams. From what I had been told, Google Now should've been able to tell me all the information I wanted to know without having to configure settings....crap.

As far a voice recognition goes, sure Google Now may be better - I personally don't have all that much trouble with Siri, but I enunciate. Siri also can do things Google Now can't, like set location based reminders (not an alarm) or text something for me. Both have pros and cons imo - and by the way, check the sig.....I use both.

I understand the need to use alternatives (messaging apps, keyboards, browsers, etc...) and in some cases, that's justified. The keyboard could be better and allowing the user to change default browsers makes sense, even though I'd stick with Safari given it syncs with my iMac and iPad mini. But as far as sharing with other apps, you're allowed to do most everything you need to do. Why would I NOT use the stock messaging app - especially when iMessage exists (1,000x better than anything Android has to offer in the SMS/MMS realm). Each app will allow you to attach certain things - so just because you can't go into the camera roll and see a list of 1,000 apps to share with means you can't share that photo???

Apple puts the emphasis on apps....if you want to do something, generally you do it within the app itself. While convenient and widely used sharing services are made available, I wouldn't want a list of every damn app on my phone that could share something there.....what a mess! If I want to share a photo through something other than FB, Twitter, PhotoStream or iMessage, I can go into the specific app I'm sharing through and attach the photo through the app's own UI.....

And don't even start on the "true multitasking"....the fact that my iPhone doesn't let apps run rampant behind the scenes is actually a big selling point for me.....I look down at my Nexus and its at 60% and I'm like "WTF, I haven't even used it??" Then I look in the battery stats and the messaging app was running for 9 hours....and it wasn't even sending anything.....or some Google Services I turned off are suddenly running....

"True multitasking" is a myth....I don't want my apps running rampant, I don't need to watch a video AND text on a 4"-5" screen.....I can listen to music while I browse on my iPhone which is all the multitasking I need....plus apps cache their data for quick retrieval....

And I've added my own background and arranged my apps how I want on my home screen - customized how I like it....

So Apple focuses on Apps yet doesnt allow browsers to have their own API's and only allow sharing of what Apple allows between apps ? Wtf?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So Apple focuses on Apps yet doesnt allow browsers to have their own API's and only allow sharing of what Apple allows between apps ? Wtf?

Yes, Apple's focus is on third party apps - they are what drive the iOS user experience. The OS itself is background noise, designed to work seamlessly without interfering with the in-app experience. They have their own stock apps, many of which are set to default with no option to change.....but what default app works worse than an available counterpart within the app store?

I'm curious what you want to share between apps that isn't allowed in iOS?

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan

You can with whatsapp in the iPhone..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 49

Adam-

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
I chose apple all those years ago because it was simple. Sure the iPhone was good when was first released but it couldn't do some of the things i could do on my phone at the time, but the difference was that my phone had all these 'coo' features that were so complicated and a hassle to set up, then they didn't even do it very properly. I like the fact that iOS hasnt got too cluttered or complicated, just look at mac OS on its homescreen compared to windows xp/vista/8. For me thats the best example I have for why i switched, for me it was just far more simple to use.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
I chose apple all those years ago because it was simple. Sure the iPhone was good when was first released but it couldn't do some of the things i could do on my phone at the time, but the difference was that my phone had all these 'coo' features that were so complicated and a hassle to set up, then they didn't even do it very properly. I like the fact that iOS hasnt got too cluttered or complicated, just look at mac OS on its homescreen compared to windows xp/vista/8. For me thats the best example I have for why i switched, for me it was just far more simple to use.

Ironic that you mention mac os and xp vista 7 and 8. Mac os x leads in os innovation while windows always followed, the reverse of ios and android

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec

^this

True multitasking is the best way to kill battery and performance. Push notifications and background audio are a better alternative to achieve similar functionality minus the cons.

If only Skype used this properly...

And no, I don't care to download torrents on my phone.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
To answer the question, nope.

----------

And don't even start on the "true multitasking"....the fact that my iPhone doesn't let apps run rampant behind the scenes is actually a big selling point for me

Don't know if you know this already, but iOS does let apps run in the background, indefinitely sometimes, with certain restrictions, and these restrictions are not related to battery usage or CPU time. The restrictions are rules on what apps can run in the background, for how long they can run, and what they can do.

A perfect case battery-chewer is a beta testing iOS app I have that tracks me everywhere always in the background, and this is within Apple guidelines.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
Windows xp worked fine too, no need for windows 7 right?

Sounds like you just want to jailbreak. Yes. There are still people who uses Windows XP and it works fine. People didn't leave Windows to OSX because windows was stale. Again, it's your choice to leave for android. No one here will beg you to stay with Apple. Get the phone you want and the OS you feel is "better".

But I don't understand what you are trying to prove when you state that windows xp worked fine too and that there is no need for windows 7. That is an upgrade to Windows XP. iOS is upgraded every year. iOS 6 is an upgrade from iOS 5 and 4 and 3. The functionality of Win 7 is still the same as Win XP. Looks changed a bit but still the same old Windows. Windows 8 as well. Yes new tiles but still the old Windows.

The swipe function android has isn't killer feature. Bluetooth file transfer isn't killer either. Multitasking in android isn't a killer feature as well. What's to kill about it. It's a phone.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

Wow this is some post. And you know what you really said? Apple can build a subpar device and people will still buy it. So is that it, are you accepting that Apple CAN build a better iPhone and CAN develop a better OS, but profit trumps customers and Apple customers are not smart enough to know nor care and buy the crap Apple sells anyway?

So not trying to put words in your mouth, but when you say this "I'm sure you could make it bigger, better, badder, and faster. So what? It wouldn't necessarily SELL better (or for a better margin), and that's all that matters to Apple."

What exactly are you saying? If Apple could make it better, why would anyone not demand Apple do so? Wouldn't it still work great, still have the same ecosystem, but giving the consumers more bang for their buck? No, that is not the Apple way, margin is king to Apple not the customers needs??

If so, and if you think this is so, then Apple will eventualyl fail as the market demand is shifting and Apple is not keeping pace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.