Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_display-150x200.jpg
Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports (via AppleInsider) that Foxconn is ready to ramp up production on iPhone 5S and that it would be built on the same production lines that currently build the iPhone 5.

Mac Otakara is also reporting that Japan's number one cellular provider, NTT DoCoMo, which doesn't currently carry iPhones, is reducing orders for Android phones for the Fall 2013 season. This move has caused rival carriers to speculate that DoCoMo is preparing to carry the iPhone.

Earlier today, iMore's Rene Ritchie confirmed that iPhone 5S would likely arrive this summer in August. The iPhone 5 geared up production in the summer for a fall release, which would mean a spring production for a summer iPhone 5S makes sense. Previously, Jefferies analyst Peter Misek reported that the 5S would enter production in March.

The iPhone 5S  is reportedly going to have improved internals while having the outside shell unchanged, which matches the design for previous "S version" iPhones. It's also rumored to have a fingerprint sensor on the home button and improved flash for the rear camera.

Mac Otakara has been accurate in the past, like details on the redesigns of the iPod nano and iPod touch. They've also had some misses, however, like a rumor about how the iPod nano would include Wi-Fi capabilities to support iTunes in the Cloud.

Article Link: iPhone 5S Production Rumored to Have Begun

tredstone

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
Not sure what the value of the fingerprint scanner will be unless it is enforced on attempted firmware restores.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
So a finger print scanner, and improved flash? I really hope Apple would stop the "S" versions due to the Android devices (mainly Samsung) doing really well.
I just hope to god that iOS 7 is worth it, because iOS 6 was an epic fail and felt more like iOS 5.3. Here's pulling for Jony Ive!

Keeping my 4S and waiting for the 6.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
What good is a fingerprint scanner if your fingers get chopped off? :confused:

;)

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Yawn... Maybe Apple can make the 5S dent and scratch free out of the box?

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
The 4S was a pretty good upgrade from the 4. Though it looked the same, just about everything that matters was new in it besides the screen (processor, more RAM, better mics, better BT, much better camera, etc). The thing is though, the iphone 4 was lagging noticeably which made upgrading more justified. Also, this was still during the time carriers were offering annual upgrades (at least AT&T was to main lines on family accounts).

With the iphone 5, I haven't noticed any lag. The 5S would have to be pretty compelling to want to upgrade but I'm not seeing it right now especially with no upgrade pricing for me.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Wishlist:

-- Back to 3.5 inch screen
-- LTE-Advanced
-- A6X Processor
-- Retina Display
-- 13+ MP camera.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
So I don't really care about a fingerprint scanner...but people might be missing the bigger picture here: a touch sensitive home button.

That means they can add new gestures, like touch & hold to bring up multitasking (rather than double click) and swiping on the home button to quickly switch apps.

Now that would be one thing that I would actually want on a new iPhone.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'd love to see Apple get out more than just one phone a year. Maybe one of the issues is just getting the manufacturing process in place to handle the demand, so they can just do one phone. But still I'd like to see Apple keep around the 3.5" form factor and keep upgrading the internals. Heck, they could miniaturize the inside, keep the outside the same, and include a bigger battery. I'm sure it would sell. And the smaller screen form is getting abandoned by Android.

How about a 4SX next year that includes an updated processor but sticks with the beautiful glass body? Use stronger Gorilla Glass to make people more likely to go caseless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.