Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple executives met with Beats Electronics CEO Jimmy Iovine in January to discuss a potential partnership with Beats' announced music subscription service called "Project Daisy". CEO Tim Cook and SVP of Internet Services Eddy Cue reportedly expressed interest in the service's "business model and its rollout plans" according to Reuters.

jimmy-iovine-crop-324x285.jpg
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook met with Beats CEO Jimmy Iovine during a visit to Los Angeles in late February to find out more about Beats' "Project Daisy", a music subscription service the company announced in January but with scant detail, the sources said.

Apple's Internet products chief Eddy Cue, a key player in setting up its iTunes Music Store, also joined the meeting, at which Cook expressed interest in Daisy's business model and its rollout plans, although the two did not discuss specifics of a deal, the sources said.
Iovine pitched Steve Jobs on a subscription music service a decade ago, but Jobs felt the prices record companies were charging were too steep and would eventually come down.

There have been rumors for nearly five years about Apple developing a subscription music service, though more recent reports have suggested that Apple is aiming to release its service sometime in 2013.

Bloomberg reported in October that Apple was aiming for a first quarter launch, but record labels have suggested that negotiations were hung up over licensing fees.

Article Link: Beats CEO Jimmy Iovine Recently Met With Apple Executives About His Subscription Music Service

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
wow. The 2 tech companies that are the best designers in the industry are working together...

this made my day!

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Apple: We have now integrated Beats into the:p iPhone and decided to sell for an affordable price of $649 ........................ with a 2-year contract

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
You mean Beats aren't really made by Dr Dre? My heart is broken :(

Just kidding. I don't even know or care who Dr Dre is. All I know is that I'm not going to pay $200-$400 for headphones ever. Think of what else you could buy for $200... including 10 pairs of good headphones.

----------

Beats are in the same category as Apple ----> Overpriced electronics.

*reads signature*
:confused:

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
This music subscription market is becoming annoyingly saturated...
On another note, I wonder if the service will be as bad as the headphones they offer.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
This music subscription market is becoming annoyingly saturated...
On another note, I wonder if the service will be as bad as the headphones they offer.

Hey, they're not bad unless you factor in the price. Actually, even then, they're not bad; they're HORRIBLE.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Not a fan of Beats, but I do like the idea of an Apple music subscription service. It would make it easier to discover new music and I'd probably buy more music from iTunes.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Tim most likely met with Jimmy because of his ties to the music industry. He is the founder of Interscope Records and chairman of Interscope/Geffen/A&M Records. Beats has nothing to do with it.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
Apple: We have now integrated Beats into the:p iPhone and decided to sell for an affordable price of $649 ........................ with a 2-year contract

My HTC rezound...beats and more ppi than an iPhone 5!

lol but it would be hilarious if they actually integrated beats audio in the iPhone. Another excuse to charge more!

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
wow. The 2 tech companies that are the best designers in the industry are working together...

this made my day!
I hope you're being sarcastic. My 80 dollar Grados take a crap all over his overpriced Beats.

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
I'd much rather have Apple integrates the Dirac HD audio filters into their hardware, and have Dirac Research AB calibrate a few dozen common headphones and in-ears.

For that matter, Apple should ship the VSONIC VC02 with their products, with microphone and volume clickers. Best cheap in-ears.

Last edited:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Edit: I deleted my original comment. I poked a little fun at Iovine, but shouldn't have. The guy has had an amazing career; he can dress however the heck he chooses.

Last edited:

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

Just kidding. I don't even know or care who Dr Dre is. All I know is that I'm not going to pay $200-$400 for headphones ever. Think of what else you could buy for $200... including 10 pairs of good headphones.
Not many good pair of headphones for $20. I hear that Sennheiser's HD 485s and JVC Flats are pretty good for the price range, but I don't think they can really compare with the Beats by Dre set (I don't think you need to spend $300 for a good set either. I'm really happy with my Sennheiser PX 210 BT that I got for less than half that)

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Not many good pair of headphones for $20 [..] can really compare with the Beats by Dre set
There are the $30 Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, not $20 but still quite cheap. And the $15 Koss KSC75 apparently come close in sound quality.

Anyone looking for headphones should check out this massive review. Search for "(S1) Summary (The short version)" on the page for an overview table.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
I love using my Audio Technica. When I worked at BBY forever ago, the Beats just didn't compare at any level, but people seemed to still flock to them despite my advice. :confused:

Last edited:

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011

I was going to post, but I see you've already done it for me. Thank you!:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.