Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cairbreo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Hi,

I have a problem with an important .xlsx excel spreadsheet that I cannot solve with my best efforts, and hoping that the MacRumours community might be able to help.

I was working on an excel file (188KB), and began to copy charts to Microsoft Office. There seemed to be a problem with this so I closed both applications and reset the computer. From that point on I have not been able to reopen the excel file. No error message appears when I double click on the file. Excel starts, and the loading bar appears, and then nothing happens, no spreadsheet appears. When I double click on the file again a message pops up saying that the file is already open. When I use 'Quick Look' I can see everything in the file, so I am hopeful that it can still be opened. The file can also be viewed with the OpenOffice application, however, all the linked data is missing, and so if possible I want to restore the original file. I tried opening the file on another mac and a PC but the same thing happens...nothing! I have also updated the excel 2008 version, with no luck.

I would be immensely grateful for any possible solutions to the problem, as I have three weeks to my masters thesis submission, and could use the Master Data Sheet.

Thanks for reading,
Cairbre

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
With MS software and a corrupt file, sometimes it is better to copy the data to a new file, re-create the graphs and move on.

What do you mean you by: copied the graph from Excel to MS Office?

Have you tried using a newer version of Office?

Cairbreo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Thanks for the reply McGiord.

Yes, if I could open the file again I would certainly copy the data to a new file and re-create the graphs.

What I meant with copying the graphs was: When I finished creating the charts in the excel file, I then began to copy and paste them into a Word Document. However, when I tried to paste the first one into the Word Document, an error box came up and it refused to paste. In a quick attempt to resolve this issue, I closed down both applications and upon restarting the problem began.. Presumably, I may have upset the file during that incident.

I have not yet tried to open the file with a newer version of Office, i must try that!

Thanks,
Cairbre

Cairbreo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Applebai..you can? Fantastic! Could you tell me how?...I would be forever grateful.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I would be immensely grateful for any possible solutions to the problem, as I have three weeks to my masters thesis submission ...

Ouch! I feel the pain. I know it might too late for you know, but keeping backups is a habit which you cannot learn too early.

The actual problem seems to be that you've somehow corrupted the file. If you do not have any backups (like a two days old version) you can restart with, you need to try to force yourself into the file one way or the other.

Excel usually has had two routines for opening files, one is the doubleclick file -approach, the others based on File->open (these actually do slightly different things, so if one does not work, you should try the other). Also, as it's an xlsx, you should have a go at it with all excel versions which natively support the format, on both Mac and pc, enlist your friends to help if necessary.

Also, as you've already noticed, other spreadsheet applications may be able to recover some parts of your data (a disagreeable scenario, but better than nothing). Again, unless your data is confidential, send copies of the file to a few friends and ask them to try with different approaches.

Corrupted files are the worst part of working with computers, because they might be unsalvageable. I'll hope for the best.

RGDS,

----------

P.S. This might be outlandish...

Excel starts, and the loading bar appears, and then nothing happens, no spreadsheet appears. When I double click on the file again a message pops up saying that the file is already open.

So excel might really think it has loaded the file? But either will not or can not show it?
Once you've opened the file, check around if it is "open but not showing". Is it listed in the menu of windows? Can you do a save as? Doesn't allow you to export?

HTH,

Cairbreo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Seveej my Finish friend, what a wonderful contribution! Indeed, the classic not-backing-up rookie mistake, never again! ...Although I remember saying that the last time it happened a few years ago too.

I will try your suggestions, there must be a way to force into the file one way or another, as you so eloquently put it. When it opens in the Quick View its like I'm looking in the window from outside but can't get in and touch the data!

..Just as I was about to send this message I thought i'd first try your suggestion of double clicking the file and checking around to see if it's "open and not showing" as you said. Outlandish you said?? As I was browsing around, i clicked on the Window tab and there was a button that said 'Unhide'. Unhide?? Why would it hide in the first place?? Did I hide it? I don't think so. What I do know is that, Seveej my friend, you have solved the curious case of the unopenable file. When I clicked the Unhide button the file popped up as if it never left. You are a genius and I thank you a million times for your great direction and help!

JoelBarry

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Almost all inaccessible data of infected Excel sheet can be successfully retrieved by the RecoveryFix for Excel Recovery tool. Moreover, you can evaluate the performance of the software with the available free demo version. This demo version effectively extracts user data from corrupt Excel file and shows all retrieved data in list.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.