Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Roku yesterday announced their third-generation set-top box, and Apple TV competitor, Roku 3, with new features like a brand new interface and motion gestures for its remote.

roku3.jpg
Like previous Roku boxes, the newest version also hosts entertainment apps like Hulu Plus, HBO GO, Amazon Instant Video, Netflix and more, in addition to music streaming apps like Spotify and Pandora.

The big new addition, however, is a brand new interface with a new search function. Search now allows users to search by movie title, director, actor and more and pulls in information from all of the installed apps. Once the user finds something they're looking for, they're able to watch it on whichever app they like.

roku_3_interface.jpg
The company has also included a motion controller, much like the controllers for Nintendo's Wii game console, so that users can play games like the bundled Angry Birds Space. The controller also has a headphone jack that allows users to plug in the included earbuds and listen to their programming without disturbing others.

Roku also claims that the box consumes less power than a nightlight when streaming, has dual-band wireless for fast streaming and is the most powerful box they've built.

Although the Roku has 750 apps, more than the handful available on Apple TV, Business Insider says that Roku doesn't have a feature similar to AirPlay.
On the flipside, Roku doesn't work as well with mobile devices as the Apple TV does. You can't wirelessly beam content from your smartphone or tablet to your Roku like you can with Apple TV.
The new Roku 3 is $99, in line with Apple TV pricing, and will begin shipping in April.

Article Link: Roku Announces Roku 3 Set-Top Box

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I have a Roku, and a few people I work with got one as well.

Biggest issues:

- That D-pad on the remote? It's one of those really crappy ones. There is no pivot point in the middle, which means you can push all 4 directions at the same time.

- No YouTube app.

- Poor indication of if anything was "happening" in an app, menus, interface, etc. Is something loading? Did it hang? Who knows! There's no activity indicators.

Galaga is actually my favorite thing on Roku. It's a nice, arcade-perfect game that even saves my high score between plays. But that D-pad is horrible. If they fixed the D-pad on the new Roku, I would get one.

thederby

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Austin, TX
can it stream my existing media from a network share? if so, what codecs?

this is my #1 requirement for a box like this and the main reason why an appletv3 won't be in the running until it gets a jailbreak (so it can run xbmc).

ikev85

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2012
With the Roku iOS app you can stream music and pictures from your phone to your TV. it isn't Airplay but it's something

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Galaga is actually my favorite thing on Roku. It's a nice, arcade-perfect game that even saves my high score between plays. But that D-pad is horrible. If they fixed the D-pad on the new Roku, I would get one.

OMG! Galaga is one of my all-time favorite games. Even more tempting now to get a Roku. I'd really like to stick to one strategy for streaming though (and I have a 3rd gen AppleTV right now). I really wish Apple would open Pandora's box by opening up the AppleTV to third party app developers. For this I keep waiting and hoping.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

this is my #1 requirement for a box like this and the main reason why an appletv3 won't be in the running until it gets a jailbreak (so it can run xbmc).

The Roku hardware has a Network connection, USB port (for massive multi-TB hard drives), and an SD card slot.

The Roku OS has multiple programs for playing/streaming from any of those, including popular software such as Plex.
So right there that tells you that anything Plex understands (MKV, MP4, H.264, etc) can be played on the Roku.

There's a lot of people that will tell you that a Roku is a hundred times better than an Apple TV, simply due to the wide variety of apps.
Lots of people mess with jailbreaking their Apple TV ... just to do what Roku already does.

----------

Something to keep in mind is the Roku's price.

The basic unit (WiFi, 720p, APPS) is just $49.99.

The $99 unit (WiFi, Ethernet, SD, USB, 1080p, APPS, etc) is $99. Way more features and functionality than the $99 Apple TV.

The new Roku 3 is still $99, but adds a multi-core Cortex 9 CPU, which really kicks the speed up.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Plleeaassee put the iPlayer on the Apple TV
and 4OD,
then the UK will really listen :)

Just AirPlay the BBC iPlayer from your iPhone/iPad to the Apple TV. It works well now, even "Africa" looked beautiful through this.

Jamie Clay

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
- No YouTube app.

There is (now) a dandy YouTube app on the Roku called VideoBuzz, works quite well.

Also, PlayOn in conjunction with a desktop can serve local (on your home network) media, (Free Hulu) and most of the popular streaming sites.

The only thing Apple TV has going for it is Airplay as far as I can tell.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The Roku hardware has a Network connection, USB port (for massive multi-TB hard drives), and an SD card slot.

The Roku OS has multiple programs for playing/streaming from any of those, including popular software such as Plex.
So right there that tells you that anything Plex understands (MKV, MP4, H.264, etc) can be played on the Roku.

There's a lot of people that will tell you that a Roku is a hundred times better than an Apple TV, simply due to the wide variety of apps.
Lots of people mess with jailbreaking their Apple TV ... just to do what Roku already does.

----------

The $99 unit (WiFi, Ethernet, SD, USB, 1080p, APPS, etc) is $99. Way more features and functionality than the $99 Apple TV.

The new Roku 3 is still $99, but adds a multi-core Cortex 9 CPU, which really kicks the speed up.

I know it would never happen - but apple should really create an iTunes app so people can use their Roku and watch movies/tv from their iTunes account.

While it might make Apple take a hit on hardware - they would be getting revenue from media consumption.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
See the kinds of little niceties that can be innovated when you have a team focused on a product line instead of treating it as a hobby? I wish Apple would take a tiny fraction of that war chest and put a dedicated team together that focuses on nothing but :apple:TV. I'd like to see what the "hobby" would look like after a year or two of dedicated attention.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

It can with the Plex software plugin. And it's pretty amazing, I'm doing it with the last Roku and it's way better than any apple media software I've used.

I don't know specifics on codecs, it probably doesn't play iTunes store content because of DRM but it has played any other files I've tried.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't have a roku - but two things would make it "perfect" for me

1 - ability to add a tv tuner or built in tv tuner
2 - be able to use usb to attach a hard drive to record (DVR)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Because of what the Roku can't do and you can't 'jailbreak' to get that to work since it's hardware based.

As for my Apple TV, it has around 300k apps thanks to my being able to Airplay anything I want off my devices. For me, and many, that's good enough. We don't need them onboard the set box

----------

See the kinds of little niceties that can be innovated when you have a team focused on a product line instead of treating it as a hobby? I wish Apple would take a tiny fraction of that war chest and put a dedicated team together that focuses on nothing but :apple:TV. I'd like to see what the "hobby" would look like after a year or two of dedicated attention.

1. That's basically their only product. So yeah they are focusing on it
2. You don't know that Apple doesn't have a team. They could have 1000 folks working in this. And you still won't like the results because they didn't do it the way you (and most of this board) want them to. But it will probably still sell hand over fist to 'the sheep'

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

----------

You speak the truth! I love my Roku 2 nothing else comes close in terms of Apps and flexibility.

One often overlooked feature of Roku is how WELL it streams netflix over low-speed connections. Not all network streaming devices are the same.

Ptjones1968

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2013
Massachusetts
"The only thing Apple TV has going for it is Airplay as far as I can tell".

Airplay has a huge advantage over Roku. I can convert my HDTV to a giant monitor by activating Airplay on my iMac. The Bluetooth keypad and trackpad easily work in a different part of the house. I can then watch Amazon TV or play Angry Birds or whatever else takes my fancy.
Face Time is also great through Apple TV.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

----------

You can also get a 1080p version for $79. http://shop.roku.com/ offers the comparison in models.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Headphone jack in the remote umm I would prefer bluetooth headphone support .

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Probably sarcasm but I think it is a good idea :p

No not sarcasm at all.

Honestly, when watching TV in bed my partner will invariably fall asleep within 5 minutes, leaving me to watch the rest of the program at a miniscule volume.

This would solve that brilliant. I'd literally use it every night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.