Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I've been reading a few rumors regarding the iPhone 5S and been seeing "upgraded camera" pop up in a lot of them. If they indeed go up in megapixels or use a better sensor, do you all think the thickness, or lack-thereof, could slightly increase or could Apple have found a sensor that would allow it to stay thin?

Here is a paragraph that Rene Ritchie wrote from iMore on some info he received: "Sources familiar with the plans have told iMore that the iPhone 5S does indeed have the same basic design as the iPhone 5, with a more advanced processor and an improved camera. With the iPhone 5, Apple made the casing thinner but managed to keep essentially the same, if not slightly better, overall quality. Given the dimensions, or lack-thereof, that in-and-of itself was a feat of engineering. With the iPhone 5S, the aim is to once again raise the bar in terms of iPhone optics, including a much better camera in essentially the same casing. No huge surprises there, given the past history of S-class iPhones."

I might be just me, but it seems as if he's poking around that maybe it'll be thicker. And here is the link to the full story: http://www.imore.com/iphone-5s-planned-august-next-ipads-may-debut-april

Last edited:

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Nope. iPhone seem to be getting thinner and thinner, not thicker, just like iPhone4s to iPhone5. And most of people like thin idevice.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Unless Apple want to include something hugely ambitious and new(like the iPad 3), it'll remain thinner. That's not to say that a thinner iPhone cannot have something huge and new, but if hey incorporate something that just can't be possible in a thin body

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Wish they would. Have the same 4 inch screen with the iPhone 4S thickness to accommodate a larger battery and a solid feel again. ;)

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Sadness for the people who equate "quality" with weight and thickness lol...

If you need a device to be heavy and thick for you to think it is well made, get a big thick case and add some lead tape to the back before you put the phone in it.

VOILA: "Quality"....

Hail Caesar

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
Nah, what will see with the 5S is more evolution of the iPhone5. Internals, Camera, and iOS 7.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Stop going gaga over a "better camera." Yeah-yeah, is gonna get a bigger sensor, and firmware enhancement, but no matter what they do, it's still a fixed focus, tinny lens.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I'd go back to the thickness of the 4/4S if it meant increased battery life.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Could it? Yeah. (Apple did that with the iPad 3). Will it? Probably not.

Though I would prefer if they did return to the 4/4S thickness to add a slightly bigger battery. I do not mind the thickness/weight of the 4S at all.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Better camera, fingerprint scanner, better battery, thinner. No way an "S" version gets all that. At least according to CNet.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
If it is called a 5S, you can be assured, it will be the exact same dimensions. Otherwise, accessory manufacturers would be pissed.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
I would gladly give up the current iPhones anorexic thinness for a thicker device with a larger battery. This is getting ridiculous. How much thinner can Apple make an iPhone?

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
If it is called a 5S, you can be assured, it will be the exact same dimensions. Otherwise, accessory manufacturers would be pissed.

U mean like how the 4 and 4s changed the mute switch and all the cases had to b changed? An, apple wouldn't do that to an s model

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
U mean like how the 4 and 4s changed the mute switch and all the cases had to b changed? An, apple wouldn't do that to an s model

There were no dimension changes on the 4S. And Apple surely wishes they didn't make that slight change as it caused lots of issues. Keeping it the same dimension is also effective for manufacturing. Like the 4S, it helps them use a lot of the same resources making it much more cost effective.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
It can't and won't be. Apple always brag about the thinness of every new iPhone, and this would go against their m.o.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Yes it can.

Wasn't the iPhone 4S a little bit thicker than the iPhone 4?

It depends on what Apple is doing. Hopefully they don't make it thinner though. I don't want it to be too thin.

(slice your finger off by iPhone 12 :D)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
No. The only reason Apple has ever made anything thicker in recent memory was to incorporate the Retina display in the iPad 3. I think Apple will eventually be making these things thinner in minuscule amounts, but don't count on the portable devices getting thicker. The whole point of the Lightning connector was to make everything smaller.

Mellisaray

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
I do not think, As for Apple's product, the 5S would not be thicker, the thinner i guess, to the customer using habit, it is not convenient if it is heavy

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Stop going gaga over a "better camera." Yeah-yeah, is gonna get a bigger sensor, and firmware enhancement, but no matter what they do, it's still a fixed focus, tinny lens.

Fixed focus?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.