Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kzhlin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Hey guys,

I just bought an iPad mini from best buy. Should I get the best buy care ($180) or AppleCare ($100)?

AppleCare charges $50 for accidental damage replacements but best buy doesn't charge.

Any advice/experience?

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
$180 is a lot of cash for a warranty on a $330 device. (unless you got the 32 or 64).

I would go for Apple care out of those choices. I think the out of warranty replacement is $200 on the mini?

I personally have never bought apple care on an iPhone or iPad and have owned around 8 devices. I have only had minor problems with them, and either had them replaced by apple or fixed. Maybe totaling in the $100 range. If I had bought apple care for each devise, I would have spent around $700-$800. This just isn't worth it to me.

That said, if I was to buy one, I would stick with apple.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I would go with AppleCare+ if for no other reason I don't expect Best Buy to be around by the end of the year.

If you only use it once, you are still ahead as it would be $149 versus $180.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I would go with AppleCare+ if for no other reason I don't expect Best Buy to be around by the end of the year.

Both are good, the best buy has no cost once its purchased and if a new ipad mini comes out there is a good change you will get upgraded to a newer model (happened to me with iPad 2 and I got an iPad three at no extra charge because they had no 32 GB ipad 2 anymore.

Also anyone who things best buy will be gone in a year has no clue what they are talking about.

Reactions: Badrottie

go ipad

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Go for Applecare +. You have a coverage with $99 and $50 for the replacement. There's a chance that you might not need to replace the device. In that case, you only spent $99 for the coverage instead of $180.00.

:)

yth

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Wow, I can't believe some people are suggesting Best Buy. That is $180 on a $300 device! Think about it

Also, AppleCare is awesome and with Best Buy you might get a refurbished replacement, who knows. AppleCare you take it in and get a brand new replacement right out of the box, same visit.

kzhlin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Cool. Thanks guys! I was thinking about AppleCare anyways.

Best Buy's warranty seemed a bit expensive for the price of the iPad mini, and I wasn't planning on dropping it more than once. :p

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Cool. Thanks guys! I was thinking about AppleCare anyways.

Best Buy's warranty seemed a bit expensive for the price of the iPad mini, and I wasn't planning on dropping it more than once. :p

If you drop it twice, you have only paid $20 more. But you don't pay the $20 until the second incident.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Best buy will give you either a new in box of the same model or an equivalent store credit. Apple will replace with a refurb. On the other side of the coin; if you use the replacement plan it's a one time deal. Meaning you will have to re purchase it on the replacement.

kzhlin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Wow, I can't believe some people are suggesting Best Buy. That is $180 on a $300 device! Think about it

Also, AppleCare is awesome and with Best Buy you might get a refurbished replacement, who knows. AppleCare you take it in and get a brand new replacement right out of the box, same visit.

@Mdwall: Are you sure Apple replaces it with a refurb? Not a new unit?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

Best Buy warranties are backed by insurance companies. But that said, $180 for an iPad Mini is a bit absurd.

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
180 bucks for BBY is pretty expensive. It's like buying a 400 dollar guitar case on a 500 dollar Yamaha guitar.

kzhlin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Sales associate told me it was $180 for BB coverage, but their website shows $160... still a bit expensive compared to AppleCare.

But I might not even get any care at all since I have the 16gb wifi iPad mini and it already comes with 1 year of AppleCare. Not sure if I can justify paying 1/3 of the price of the actual product for an additional year of AppleCare.

Jiggly Billy

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Best Buy warranties are backed by insurance companies. But that said, $180 for an iPad Mini is a bit absurd.

All the more reason to NOT get it.

Need we bring up the fact that Consumer Reports even loves Applecare? Go for it.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Honestly, I would not buy anything for a $329 device.

Think about it, if you upgrade your unit in a year and buy another warranty, you've effectively paid the price of 3 iPad Minis for only 2.

By buying the warranty, you guarantee paying the extra cost even if nothing happens. I feel like $329 is a trivial amount to risk, especially for a device you aren't carrying in your pocket everywhere you go (thus the risk something happens is pretty small).

And if you end up not using the warranty for one version and the next, you basically saved enough money to buy an extra iPad already.

The manufacturer warranty is already enough for all common problems anyway. And even a broken iPad with a cracked screen has some resale value on Craigslist or eBay (maybe even 50%), so its not like you are out 100% of your investment should you drop it.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Ignorance? The amount of money it costs, the amount of time it takes, the amount of paperwork, and the poor customer service of BB & the insurance companies backing it are a joke.

I've had nothing but good experiences with BB's Service Plans, for 15 years. Free battery replacements, swapping products to the newest version of the device or just plain getting all my money back in store credit to buy something else. Being backed by an insurance company means that if Best Buy goes under (closes down) you're still covered to the end of your contract by the insurance company for the extent of what you paid.. last I checked AIG covered Best Buy. Huge insurance company, you might want to look them up.

If Apple just happens to close down (not that it ever would, but for the sake of this exercise it does), your AppleCare is either null and void or Apple has an insurance company backing them too who will cover repair of your item.
One or the other. I can't seem to locate an insurance company backing Apple though so I can't confirm which it is. The AppleCare fine print states nothing. I really hope that there is coverage if Apple happens to go under though.

So yes, I repeat. Your ignorance astounds me.

Jiggly Billy

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
I've had nothing but good experiences with BB's Service Plans, for 15 years. Free battery replacements, swapping products to the newest version of the device or just plain getting all my money back in store credit to buy something else. Being backed by an insurance company means that if Best Buy goes under (closes down) you're still covered to the end of your contract by the insurance company for the extent of what you paid.. last I checked AIG covered Best Buy. Huge insurance company, you might want to look them up.

If Apple just happens to close down (not that it ever would, but for the sake of this exercise it does), your AppleCare is either null and void or Apple has an insurance company backing them too who will cover repair of your item.
One or the other. I can't seem to locate an insurance company backing Apple though so I can't confirm which it is. The AppleCare fine print states nothing. I really hope that there is coverage if Apple happens to go under though.

Both AIG and Best Buy are hemorrhaging money, while Apple is consistently turning a large profit. HMMMMM. I'll keep my extended coverage with the stable company thankyouverymuch.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

You're not the 1st that told me good things about Best Buy Warranty. A guy i work work with had a MacBook Pro from them about a year old. New ones just came out and he slipped on stairs, and fell with his in his hand. He went to Best Buy and they gave him the latest model.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Both AIG and Best Buy are hemorrhaging money, while Apple is consistently turning a large profit. HMMMMM. I'll keep my extended coverage with the stable company thankyouverymuch.

Last I checked Apple stock was down quite a bit too. Funny how you ignore certain details...

And as I stated in the first post you attacked me on. Apple is the better choice here. $180 for a 329 dollar device is absurd. I don't blindly stick with a single choice like a fool would do. I am just helping the OP on their choice with facts, not bias fanboyism.

----------

You're not the 1st that told me good things about Best Buy Warranty. A guy i work work with had a MacBook Pro from them about a year old. New ones just came out and he slipped on stairs, and fell with his in his hand. He went to Best Buy and they gave him the latest model.

He must have had accidental protection. I've never actually bought one with that. But yeah that's what it's for. I'm debating getting BB's accidental protection for a 6th gen Nano I bought refurbished on eBay. 19 bucks will cover my ipod for 2 years even if I fall and crack the screen...

I Wear it as a watch, apple would never cover me for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.