Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArctiX-Arts

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Hey, my jailbroken 4S on iOS 6.1 wants customizeable Folder Icons ;)
Beautifolders and Foldericons don´t work on iOS 6, please provide me a tip for an alternative Tweak!
Greetings

I know this isn't as good as individual icons for each folder. But it's a good workaround while we wait :)
For those who don't know how to change the regular folder icon to a customized icon of your choice, see below: (my apologies for those who already know!)

Following things are required:
- iFile
- PNG Folder icon - 128x128px (I used google image search to find 'black iphone folder icon PNG')
- Photoshop (Optional, if you wanna tweak the folder, ie. make background transparent)

1. Transfer your PNG file to your iphone, I use NetaTalk so I can easily network straight in to the root. Though you can use iFile's built in WiFi server if you need to.
- Navigate to '/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/'
- Transfer your PNG file into SpringBoard.app folder (or if on mac 'show contents' and transfer into .app)

2. Rename existing folder icon
- In SpringBoard.app, locate the file : FolderIconBG@2x~iphone.png
- Rename this icon to back it up (I chose FolderIconBG@2x~iphone1.PNG)

3. Rename your chosen icon
- Rename your icon png file to FolderIconBG@2x~iphone.png
- Ensure that the caps is all the same, and the extension is lowercase (I'm unsure if it matters, it's good to try keep error free! :))
- Also be sure that your icon doesn't exceed 128x128 px, it can put your icons out of alignment. Try keep it above 96x96 to it doesn't look crappy.

Almost done, we just need to clear the caches now!

4. Clear Springboard cache
- Navigate to '/var/mobile/Library/Caches'
- Locate com.apple.springboard & com.apple.springboard.sharedimagecache
- Delete these two folders (don't worry they will recache after a respring)

Reboot your iDevice and you should have your custom folder icon! :)

This edit also works on most springboard/switcher icons/wallpapers. Just have a look through the list of png's in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/. I also changed my switcher wallpaper, using this method and the file 'FolderSwitcherBG-568h@2x~iphone.png' - if you do this, remember to rotate your image 180 degrees, because the switcher wallpaper's top is the bottom of the screen (and you lose about 20px worth at the top of the image)

I forgot to add, I also use Springtomize 2 -> Folders -> Hide preview - to hide the icons within the folders.

Have fun :)

ArctiX Arts

Last edited:

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I know this isn't as good as individual icons for each folder. But it's a good workaround while we wait :)
For those who don't know how to change the regular folder icon to a customized icon of your choice, see below: (my apologies for those who already know!)

- iFile
- PNG Folder icon - 128x128px (I used google image search to find 'black iphone folder icon PNG')
- Photoshop (Optional, if you wanna tweak the folder, ie. make background transparent)

1. Transfer your PNG file to your iphone, I use NetaTalk so I can easily network straight in to the root. Though you can use iFile's built in WiFi server if you need to.
- Transfer your PNG file into SpringBoard.app folder (or if on mac 'show contents' and transfer into .app)

- Ensure that the caps is all the same, and the extension is lowercase (I'm unsure if it matters, it's good to try keep error free! :))
- Also be sure that your icon doesn't exceed 128x128 px, it can put your icons out of alignment. Try keep it above 96x96 to it doesn't look crappy.

This edit also works on most springboard/switcher icons/wallpapers. Just have a look through the list of png's in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/. I also changed my switcher wallpaper, using this method and the file 'FolderSwitcherBG-568h@2x~iphone.png' - if you do this, remember to rotate your image 180 degrees, because the switcher wallpaper's top is the bottom of the screen (and you lose about 20px worth at the top of the image)

I forgot to add, I also use Springtomize 2 -> Folders -> Hide preview - to hide the icons within the folders.

ArctiX Arts

Works great!
Thanks.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA

- iFile

ArctiX Arts

You can already do this with Winterboard. What people are after are actual icons per folder.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I tried foldericons and could never find my damn folders. Honestly, some of these 'tweaks' have you hunting for seconds trying to find things. Tossed it toot-sweet.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I tried foldericons and could never find my damn folders. Honestly, some of these 'tweaks' have you hunting for seconds trying to find things. Tossed it toot-sweet.

Private/var/mobile/media/Foldericons

Hopefully it will be updated soon

llDeviousll

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2013
Ios 6.+ Folder Icon and Background mod

1. Create folder (******).theme inside that folder make another folder named Bundle.

2. In that folder create another folder named com.apple.springboard.

3. Inside com.apple.springboard folder create image: FolderDropBG@2x~iphone which is 354X354 px (modify image till you see fit).

4. Again create a new image naming it FolderIconBG@2x~iphone, which is 140x140 px (modify image till you see fit). It is best to keep these 1st 2 images you create the same. Just resize them and rename them.

5. This last image is for the background image when you press a folder. Again create another image inside the folder com.apple.springboard. Name this image
FolderSwitcherBG@2x~iphone.png, which is 640X720 px (modify image till you see fit).

6. After you have created your .theme for winterboard place it in Root/library/themes via SSH or diskaid.

7. Open winterboard on Phone, select new theme, and RESPRING.

Cheers you should have new custom folders for your phone ;)

***The smaller icons which you see inside the folders will be found in system/library/coreservices/springboard.app and also var/stash/applications.2v2a5w HAPPY HUNTING :)***

YouTube Video Example of my phone:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2CnL9ZaDwE

Last edited:

TheGreatMuta

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
For about a week I've been unsure whether to post this here purely out of not wanting to somehow be dishonorable in spilling what could be considered a private conversation, but about a week or so ago I emailed Vertex, and I'd just really not expected to hear anything back.
My take on it was that perhaps he was a guy who'd made his tweak for kicks, taken it as far as he wanted to, and it was old news to him... and frankly? Good for him. That would've been fine. In fact, at the time of writing, I didn't even know his nationality. I just kind of sent him a goodwill email.

I was somewhat surprised to get a reply so quickly, and it seemed apparent that he was in really good spirits.

Well, I don't want to start typing every word of his reply out of respect for a private (albeit very brief) conversation, but I think there are some things that it's perhaps fair to share:

For him personally, he's been busy, and he is busy. Such is life. That's really been the case for him. In particular, work. It's been taking up so much of his time.

What I really didn't expect was for him to very confidently suggest (without me having asked) that FolderIcons for iOS 6.x is "almost done" and the imminent schedule he gave me for the release (which I'd never even pushed him for) was a surprise to me, too.

Something I have to say here, is please don't shoot the messenger. This is purely what I've been told directly from the source himself. Things change. Priorities and concerns change for people. For my part, I'm really not trying to score points over the internet, I'm just passing on something that surprised me and made me happy, and I'd thought that perhaps it was a bit selfish to just sit on that info by myself.

Well, here's hoping this really does come about.

I'm not a fan of my home screen looking like little piles of scrapheaps as it does right now.

HasoMujo

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2013
Hi all,
For about a week I've been unsure whether to post this here purely out of not wanting to somehow be dishonorable in spilling what could be considered a private conversation, but about a week or so ago I emailed Vertex, and I'd just really not expected to hear anything back.
My take on it was that perhaps he was a guy who'd made his tweak for kicks, taken it as far as he wanted to, and it was old news to him... and frankly? Good for him. That would've been fine. In fact, at the time of writing, I didn't even know his nationality. I just kind of sent him a goodwill email.

I was somewhat surprised to get a reply so quickly, and it seemed apparent that he was in really good spirits.

Well, I don't want to start typing every word of his reply out of respect for a private (albeit very brief) conversation, but I think there are some things that it's perhaps fair to share:

For him personally, he's been busy, and he is busy. Such is life. That's really been the case for him. In particular, work. It's been taking up so much of his time.

What I really didn't expect was for him to very confidently suggest (without me having asked) that FolderIcons for iOS 6.x is "almost done" and the imminent schedule he gave me for the release (which I'd never even pushed him for) was a surprise to me, too.

Something I have to say here, is please don't shoot the messenger. This is purely what I've been told directly from the source himself. Things change. Priorities and concerns change for people. For my part, I'm really not trying to score points over the internet, I'm just passing on something that surprised me and made me happy, and I'd thought that perhaps it was a bit selfish to just sit on that info by myself.

I'm not a fan of my home screen looking like little piles of scrapheaps as it does right now.

Great news - fingers crossed! :)

gonca

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
Europe

Cool..can't wait!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Eagerly awaiting the release, really appreciate all the effort the devs are putting in their often free apps!

Jack Gasoline

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
That sounds very promising! This tweak (well ok, this one and iPhoneDelivery) is the main reason I'm still on 5.1.1.

ajohansson

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
thanks for the update. maybe apple can pay him for his intellectual property and make it a standard option in ios

TheGreatMuta

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
Okay, so, I'm trying out the beta.

I won't go into the finer details of what's happening with it or what's great and what needs tweaking, but it's really looking good and working pretty well so far. A few things need to be ever-so-slightly ironed-out, but really so little. I feel bad because I'm being really blunt about everything and anything I pick up on. I'm pointing every single, tiny anomaly out. It really should be so good, though. Even now, it's great. I don't want to speak too soon... but it seems very well made.

It's really been made very simple as it is (yet perfectly functional and covers all you need), but even at this stage, just using it to do testing, I can honestly say my home screen looks infinitely better with what is currently only a very limited set of icons and icon backgrounds for the beta model. Clearly it just doesn't need hundreds of icons to choose from for a mere test of functionality, but honestly... even with these few, it actually makes that much of a difference. It's just very neat and clean looking. Obviously, I would expect people to go nuts with downloading their own icons from various sites once it goes live.

So, yes. It's on its way. It exists.

Sorry, not trying to be a smartarse or a bigshot with all the (vague) info. It's just, I'm heavily waiting on this too, so I really want this to work amazingly.

Okay, hope everybody's well.

HasoMujo

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2013
Hi all,

I won't go into the finer details of what's happening with it or what's great and what needs tweaking, but it's really looking good and working pretty well so far. A few things need to be ever-so-slightly ironed-out, but really so little. I feel bad because I'm being really blunt about everything and anything I pick up on. I'm pointing every single, tiny anomaly out. It really should be so good, though. Even now, it's great. I don't want to speak too soon... but it seems very well made.

It's really been made very simple as it is (yet perfectly functional and covers all you need), but even at this stage, just using it to do testing, I can honestly say my home screen looks infinitely better with what is currently only a very limited set of icons and icon backgrounds for the beta model. Clearly it just doesn't need hundreds of icons to choose from for a mere test of functionality, but honestly... even with these few, it actually makes that much of a difference. It's just very neat and clean looking. Obviously, I would expect people to go nuts with downloading their own icons from various sites once it goes live.

Sorry, not trying to be a smartarse or a bigshot with all the (vague) info. It's just, I'm heavily waiting on this too, so I really want this to work amazingly.

Please keep us informed! :)

darkj2k

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
For those still talking about Winterboard pls let me know if you can make folders like this with it.

I just love FolderIcons and this is the best news after iOS 6.x was jailbreaked.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362585140.463602.jpg

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011

Awesome!!

How do I test said beta? :D

TheGreatMuta

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
Okay, it sucks a hell of a lot because I'd written a huge post explaining the workings of the newest beta version and what had been implemented (some clever stuff/additions/options). I'd written how it had worked shockingly well for me even at the earliest beta stage and how my phone was looking so good off the back of that alone. Just great stuff. I had a lot of info. Covered everything you can think of (note: I know some people couldn't care less - i appreciate that - I'm just filling in the blanks).

I need to say, without any doubt, and especially in the way he comes off, Vertex is a great guy. He's really nice and he doesn't even need to be. Really lighthearted, but after a very short exchange via email, I'm just not allowed to publicly discuss the topic.

That's fine. I have to respect that. I feel like a total idiot for doing so thus far.

I will say, though, just hold on a bit longer, it really IS coming, and in my opinion already, it's just so good. So good.

Sorry guys. :(

I feel like I've done wrong by the developer and done wrong by anyone reading the thread.

Anyway, as I say, hang on for it. So very nearly there. So very worth it.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Okay, it sucks a hell of a lot because I'd written a huge post explaining the workings of the newest beta version and what had been implemented (some clever stuff/additions/options). I'd written how it had worked shockingly well for me even at the earliest beta stage and how my phone was looking so good off the back of that alone. Just great stuff. I had a lot of info. Covered everything you can think of (note: I know some people couldn't care less - i appreciate that - I'm just filling in the blanks).

I need to say, without any doubt, and especially in the way he comes off, Vertex is a great guy. He's really nice and he doesn't even need to be. Really lighthearted, but after a very short exchange via email, I'm just not allowed to publicly discuss the topic.

That's fine. I have to respect that. I feel like a total idiot for doing so thus far.

I will say, though, just hold on a bit longer, it really IS coming, and in my opinion already, it's just so good. So good.

Sorry guys. :(

I feel like I've done wrong by the developer and done wrong by anyone reading the thread.

Anyway, as I say, hang on for it. So very nearly there. So very worth it.

dude, don't stress it. the good news is..."nearly there". makes ME happy (and undoubtedly others).. so THANK U!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.