Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I have 7950 HIS and it fits fine into 1slot on MP3,1.

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5485/his-7950.jpg

If this is your card (http://www.hisdigital.com/us/product2-679.shtml), I can see why it fits since HIS design seems to be flush just like an OEM Apple card.

The issue is the heat sink screws on my VisionTek and the pictured Sapphire seem too big. Hopefully this is a preliminary design, and someone at Sapphire realizes a "Mac" edition should be flush on that side.

Attachments

• 0110_06_1600.jpg
    0110_06_1600.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 83

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
So here is the answer, Some (but not all) cards don't fit into macpro's slot1

for example 6970 and 5870 with backplates do fit

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
QFT. I never said the card would not work. My point is if you NEED the GPU in slot 1, this 7950 doesn't look like it will fit based off my experience with my 7870.

I'm assuming you haven't physically handled any 7XXX since you keep avoiding the question. Go order a 7870 eyefinity 6 off Amazon, who has a great return policy/no restocking fees and post back your experience in getting it into slot 1.

Again, please take a moment to check out who first discovered these cards working in November. (hint - it was me, front page story on this very site)

I have had a variety of 7xxx cards in a variety of Mac Pros.

You are whipping up a furor over NOTHING.

There may be foolish people that work at AMD, but nobody is stupid enough to not check this before they start shipping these things by the thousands. Even if they did, 15 minutes spent at your local hardware store would solve the problem.

Your time would be better served worrying about getting hit by a meteor.

Can't we just be happy that the cards are coming instead of finding something to worry about BASED ON A PICTURE OF A PRE-PRODUCTION CARD?

EDIT: Pictures added. Note that the 7870 has the feared long screws compared to the 7970 which has normal flat back. Note that it DOESN"T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER and both cards are easily fitted in Mac Pro.

Let's get back to worrying about getting hit by a meteor...and be happy that new cards are coming.

Attachments

• IMG_1602.jpg
    IMG_1602.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1603.jpg
    IMG_1603.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1600.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
If you turn off your flash and set the camera on a beanbag, stack of books, or a tripod your shots will look lots lots better... ;)

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
If you turn off your flash and set the camera on a beanbag, stack of books, or a tripod your shots will look lots lots better... ;)

Thanks for the tip.

If I had intended to use them as product shots I would have busted out my chimera.

All I wanted to do was illustrate that some were obsessing about a non-issue. They aren't the best pictures I ever took, but you can see the screws, that there are 2 different sizes, and that both cards fit just fine in Mac Pro.

But yes, they aren't pretty, just barely good enough but hopefully this will end "ScrewGate" before it gets blown any further out of proportion.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
good card for a lot of purposes for a lot of people, but the creative market who uses Adobe products will really not be upgrading too much with this one... unless Adobe opens their GPU support to additional cards (non-Nvidia)
Photoshop uses OpenGL and OpenCL:
http://helpx.adobe.com/en/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html#mercury

Adobe Inc. said:
MGE is new to Photoshop CS6 and uses both the OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks. It does not use the proprietary CUDA framework from nVidia.

----------

yes, Adobe uses CUDA processing for accelerating the Mercury Playback Engine... and that's Nvidia.
No.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Photoshop uses OpenGL and OpenCL

Yeah, I was under the impression that their Mercury Engine and their use of GL/CL (and CUDA too?) were relatively unrelated. But I thought PS uses CL/GL and their Video apps use the Mercury Engine... Is that wrong? You sound like you know so a brief explanation would edifying and appreciated. :)

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Yeah, I was under the impression that their Mercury Engine and their use of GL/CL (and CUDA too?) were relatively unrelated. But I thought PS uses CL/GL and their Video apps use the Mercury Engine... Is that wrong?
Premiere Pro CS6 can use CUDA via the Mercury Playback Engine. Photoshop CS6 and other CS6 apps use the open standards OpenGL and OpenCL via the Mercury Graphics Engine, which means that Photoshop CS6 supports AMD/ATI and NVIDIA cards (and CPU-based acceleration).

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Premiere Pro CS6 can use CUDA via the Mercury Playback Engine. Photoshop CS6 and other CS6 apps use the open standards OpenGL and OpenCL via the Mercury Graphics Engine, which means that Photoshop CS6 supports AMD/ATI and NVIDIA cards (and CPU-based acceleration).

Cool, thanks!

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Any mac pro news is better than no mac pro news. :) Perhaps users were afraid of the beta driver revision that you initially reported and apple potentially pulling support. With a final product in sight, people may feel more reassured in their upgrade.

Either way, thanks for your initial report as I've been hella happy with the 7950 for a couple months now. :cool:

Again, please take a moment to check out who first discovered these cards working in November. (hint - it was me, front page story on this very site)

I have had a variety of 7xxx cards in a variety of Mac Pros.

You are whipping up a furor over NOTHING.

There may be foolish people that work at AMD, but nobody is stupid enough to not check this before they start shipping these things by the thousands. Even if they did, 15 minutes spent at your local hardware store would solve the problem.

Your time would be better served worrying about getting hit by a meteor.

Can't we just be happy that the cards are coming instead of finding something to worry about BASED ON A PICTURE OF A PRE-PRODUCTION CARD?

EDIT: Pictures added. Note that the 7870 has the feared long screws compared to the 7970 which has normal flat back. Note that it DOESN"T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER and both cards are easily fitted in Mac Pro.

Let's get back to worrying about getting hit by a meteor...and be happy that new cards are coming.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Any mac pro news is better than no mac pro news. :) Perhaps users were afraid of the beta driver revision that you initially reported and apple potentially pulling support. With a final product in sight, people may feel more reassured in their upgrade.

AMD is actually in charge of which cards are supported, so there isn't much risk from Apple. AMD probably shipped these changes over to Apple in preparation for Saphire.

The driver process isn't actually the riskiest part of new cards, it's getting the actual hardware.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

Thanks for posting that. You really delivered.

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
10.8.3 is out now

Does the shipping version retain support for the 7900 ATI cards?

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
So here is the answer, Some (but not all) cards don't fit into macpro's slot1

for example 6970 and 5870 with backplates do fit

I think netkas summarized it best - there may be sufficient subtle differences between cards and chassis that make this a moot point - a few mm's makes all the difference.

You can see how my specific 7870 lies once I get the card seated in the PCI slot. The resulting tilt and need for torque to get the PCI lock clip screwed in place made me uncomfortable.

Maybe the screws on my 7870 e6 heat sink are a tad longer, maybe my rubber guard in my MP is a tad higher, who knows.

No intent in trying to start "screwgate" so I'll leave it less divisive - my 7870e6 fit was an issue for me, but here's hoping mine is a corner case. I am admittedly very type A.

Attachments

• P1020607.JPG
    P1020607.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 60
  • P1020606.JPG
    P1020606.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 62
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.