Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Does anyone know how to force NTFS read/write natively under OSX 10.8?

I have tried ntfsmounter, all the various "/etc/fstab" type tricks, and a few others, but it looks like 10.8 just doesn't include the driver for this. Can anyone confirm it?

Edit: This had most of what I needed.

Last edited:

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
NTFS3G is what I am running on leopard, snow and lion. I am glad to know it works for ML as well.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
and i am using tuxera ntfs on 10.8.2. i haven't encountered any problems yet. Although i can't believe Apple still doesn't have NTFS write support out of the box

page404

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2013
The Netherlands
A method which works flawlessly for me is Paragon NTFS. Will cost you a few $$$ but setup is foolproof and I haven't encountered any issues yet.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
and i am using tuxera ntfs on 10.8.2. i haven't encountered any problems yet. Although i can't believe Apple still doesn't have NTFS write support out of the box

NTFS is a proprietary Microsoft format.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Mac OS X can only read NTFS drives natively, but writing is possible via several methods.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

printz

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2012
Well it's still embarrassing/helpless when I'm given a USB stick to write to, and it's formatted as NTFS. And the guy who gave it to me is a Linux user who dislikes Windows, no less.

gnurf

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
The other alternative for USB sticks is ExFAT. Strange that a Linux user doesn't know about it ;)

krigsmakten

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Then why can Linux write to it?

Don't point out flaws in fanboi positions...

Just as Win should play well with other file formats, so should Apple, a heck of a lot of NTFS drives out there - especially if you move large files btw cameras, entertainment units etc. Childish to refuse to cross-license.

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
Don't point out flaws in fanboi positions...

Just as Win should play well with other file formats, so should Apple, a heck of a lot of NTFS drives out there - especially if you move large files btw cameras, entertainment units etc. Childish to refuse to cross-license.

I completely agree. Windows also should be able to read/write HFS+ & HFS+J. Someone should tell Apple and Microsoft that the format of a file system has literally zero impact on the device and OS we choose to adopt. So aggravating that it's still an issue in 2013.

----------

Same here (bc I'm a dick and refuse to pay for it and there's no working crack for the latest paragon solution).

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Then why can Linux write to it?
That highly depends on the distro you are using. Most do not have this functionality by default. It requires the user to install ntfs-3g which you can also use on OS X (and any other UNIX/Linux operating system). Tuxera is the commercial version of ntfs-3g and seems to be faster and more stable (Paragorn is its competitor btw).

However, ntfs is still proprietary stuff. The reason non-Windows systems can use it is very simple: it's the same as with formats like .doc/xls/etc. and smb/cifs: somebody has reverse engineered it and another has created an implementation from it (ntfs-3g, OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice, Samba).

printz

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2012
Problem is that NTFS write support has to be fully stable, I can't rely on errors. I did download once such a free driver from Sourceforge, and when I would insert an NTFS drive, sometimes it would work, but most often it would lock up OSX. Good thing it had an uninstall script with it…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.