Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neilbey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Hello everyone. I have been using Symantec for quite awhile now and finally figured out that it was causing my system to crash on a pretty frequent basis (Kernel Panic).

Question - Is virus protection even necessary for a Mac? And if so what do you recommend?

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello everyone. I have been using Symantec for quite awhile now and finally figured out that it was causing my system to crash on a pretty frequent basis (Kernel Panic).

Question - Is virus protection even necessary for a Mac?
Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below).

3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.