Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I'm reading on amazon reviews that the case is a bit too big lengthwise. It does feel like there is a little play when you put the charger or headphones in. Has anyone had this and found that it hurts the phone?

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Same here. It doesn't move when I shake the case. Just when I plug something in.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
If you're looking at the bottom of the case with the screen facing up. The strip going across the bottom above the charging and headphone ports seems to be more pliable than the rest. Ok guessing this is by design but wanted to check.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Contact OB and request for them to send you another case if you feel there's an issue with yours. Their customer service is top notch.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Contact OB and request for them to send you another case if you feel there's an issue with yours. Their customer service is top notch.

Well I'm not sure if its really an issue or how all the cases are going to be. It only really moves when I plug headphones or the charging cable in. It doesn't move around when I shake it or use it in a normal day. Just plugging in. And it's a very small amount. .

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Well I'm not sure if its really an issue or how all the cases are going to be. It only really moves when I plug headphones or the charging cable in. It doesn't move around when I shake it or use it in a normal day. Just plugging in. And it's a very small amount. .

Give them a call and ask.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I got my Otterbox case pretty early on... Not the first gen of iPhone 5 cases where the packaging still read "The New iPhone", but one shortly after that.

I can shake my case and hear the phone bump around in it, but it hasn't scratched my phone or anything. Either way, I still love the case. The Defender for the iPhone 5 is SOO much better than it was for the previous iPhone's.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The last good defender case that was made was the one for the iPhone 3GS other than that, the workmanship from what I have seen is sub par a best and not worthy of purchasing.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I decided to return the case and just go with a simple snap on hard case. I have insurance in the event of a catastrophic failure

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Does the silicone get loose after a while? Or from removing the case? I have removed it a couple times to clean dust out and try and fix the rainbow effect. Will that stretch it out?

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The last good defender case that was made was the one for the iPhone 3GS other than that, the workmanship from what I have seen is sub par a best and not worthy of purchasing.

I will eat my words here as I ended up buying a OtterBox Defender for my iPhone 5 and it is actually constructed very well indeed!

I originally bought the Glacier Defender Case which was fine...

No gap or rainbow effect on the screen protector

Precise fit withing the Interior Shell

Silicon Outer Casing perfect Fit and of High Quality

Ended up Exchanging the "Glacier Defender" for a "Black Defender"

This decision was made only because I foresaw the Glacier White/Grey being a issue for dirt for me personally (no other reason)

"Black Defender Case"

No gap or rainbow effect on the screen protector

Precise fit withing the Interior Shell

Silicon Outer Casing perfect Fit and of High Quality

So, that's 2 different Defender Cases with the exact same quality results!

My only gripe with this case is the fact that the Front Camera / Ear Piece and the Rear Camera are completely exposed to the elements with "ZERO" Protection.

I have no idea what they were thinking with this but, I am sorry these areas should have a clear screen protector over them. OTTERBOX: what the hell were you thinking?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.