Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twitter1.png
Twitter today updated its iOS app, adding search improvements that include additional topic and user suggestions when searching and Top Tweets from important events.

The update also removes support for video services from Mobypicture, Vodpod, and Posterous, leaving Twitpic and yFrog as the last remaining video uploading services for the iOS app.
This update includes enhancements to search and other improvements.

-As you search you'll see more topic and user suggestions for your query, based on what's happening in real time. You'll also see these suggestions when adding a hashtag or username as you compose a new Tweet.

-Top Tweets from big moments in the past pop out when you search for a given term. For example, searching for "election" might highlight Tweets from several months ago.

-When you open a web page you can now see the related Tweet for more context. Just pull the tray icon up or down to see or hide the Tweet.

-It's easier to see long conversations in the Tweet details view, which now shows all of the replies to any Tweet

-When you block a user in the app, their Tweets will instantly disappear from the Connect tab in the app

-Pull-to-refresh in Discover shows a new, smoother animation

-Support for traditional Chinese

-Logout support (iOS 6 only)

-Uploading videos vie Mobypicture, Vodpod and Posterous is no longer supported

-Additional bug fixes and improvements
Twitter for iOS is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter iOS Update Adds Improved Search Capabilities, Cuts Support for Several Video Services

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
This company seems to have a talent for annoying its users time and time again.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I use hashtags and lists. What else is needed? I don't even notice when they remove support for other things.

dannyp1996

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
United Kingdom
What is this with Twitter removing support here, and cutting things back there? It doesn't make any sense, surely an update should be just that!

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I still can't believe they destroyed the award winning iPad panel UI that many apps tried to imitate because it was so intuitive and a pleasure to use.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I still can't believe they destroyed the award winning iPad panel UI that many apps tried to imitate because it was so intuitive and a pleasure to use.

It still bugs me to this day! Wish I never updated the app, its a shame it had a loss of functionality in other aspects. I swear even apple showcased the twitter app when comparing it to crappy android tablet apps.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
It makes sense that Twitter would remove support for Posterous. They bought out the company and announced in February that it's being shut down on April 30th.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
What is this with Twitter removing support here, and cutting things back there? It doesn't make any sense, surely an update should be just that!

Their strategy is to slowly close off the third-party ecosystem, and eventually force people to use twitter photo/video uploading. They are also slowly bleeding features out of third-party clients like Tweetbot with API restrictions, so that eventually people will be forced to use the official Twitter client. They want to control everything so that they can monetize their network as Facebook does.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
John.B said:
My working theory is that Twitter now makes all strategic decisions based on a coin flip.

My working theory is that Twitter is now run by George Constanza. He does everything opposite to what his instinct tells him.

YouTube: video

My working theory is that George Costanza has hired former Gotham City D.A. Harvey Dent as Twitter's Strategist. Dent had to resign the D.A. position after turning to a life of crime as a result of a chemical burn that ate away half of his face.

images

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Their strategy is to slowly close off the third-party ecosystem, and eventually force people to use twitter photo/video uploading. They are also slowly bleeding features out of third-party clients like Tweetbot with API restrictions, so that eventually people will be forced to use the official Twitter client. They want to control everything so that they can monetize their network as Facebook does.

And what would you do if you ran Twitter?

----------

Yep. Every update on iOS gets worse, messy, with less features.
Not gonna update this time.
Got punked the last few times and learned my lesson.

Lately, I get anxious whenever there's a new update for Twitter or FB. It's usually a downgrade with something missing or a crappy upgrade with useless new features. They're both hitting the wall at the moment.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I can't play Youtube videos in tweets now. The circle icon flashes when I press it but nothing plays. I guess this is progress, Twitter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.