Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nick16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
FL
I have the 15GB iCloud storage plan. My camera roll makes up half of that, but what's taking up the rest? The space taken up by the other apps is so small that I know it doesn't equate to 7GB.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362610755.043955.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362610785.192191.jpg

Last edited:

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
What iOS version are you running? I was having this problem on my 4S and iPad Mini, each taking up a gig of space. No camera roll. This was on 6.0. I think it had something to do with SMS/iMessage history not wiping properly and the only way to fix it was wipe the iOS device and start new.

But either 6.1, 6.1.1, or 6.1.2, not sure which one, fixed this problem, and my iCloud backups are now at manageable sizes. They both total now a gig in size, which is where I think it should be.

Nick16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
FL
Could it be SMS or MMS messages or call history?
Hm, if messages really take up space then it could be. I have never deleted any texts since I first got an iPhone, about four years ago... I mean literally every single text is still on my phone.
What iOS version are you running? I was having this problem on my 4S and iPad Mini, each taking up a gig of space. No camera roll. This was on 6.0. I think it had something to do with SMS/iMessage history not wiping properly and the only way to fix it was wipe the iOS device and start new.

But either 6.1, 6.1.1, or 6.1.2, not sure which one, fixed this problem, and my iCloud backups are now at manageable sizes. They both total now a gig in size, which is where I think it should be.

I'm on 6.1.1. I'll update to 6.1.2 to see if that corrects the problem.

It's all the backups for the iPhone in iCloud. If you really want to save space backup the iPhone on the Mac instead.

I've always backed up to my Mac, but then bought the extra iCloud storage in order to backup to iCloud. It's way more convenient because I don't have to remember to backup my phone to my Mac every day manually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.