Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sleepy01

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
I don't get the point about people complaining about getting Toshiba SSD, LG panes etc....

I ran across a few thread about the complaints. I just checked a new Air and it has a Toshiba SSD and a AUO screen (never even heard of AUO before) and guess what it boots up in 11 seconds and the screen looks fine.

Anyway it's all good.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
The majority of owners wouldn't care less.
Macrumors will have a higher concentration of owners that will want to drill down to that level of detail.
Some people think this site is for whingers ;)

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
You don't get why people care about getting LG panels, for example? On rMBP, most panels that show image retention after some time are LG's. Why would I care to know, you ask? Still need an answer?

If this is only about Airs, I am sorry.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
While I partially agree with the OP (the discussion is somewhat out of proportion) there's a valid point in these complaints:

Apple sells a specific model as if all machines of that model would be equal - as if they all had components of comparable quality. They don't.

Whether you are interested enough to find out the maker of your SSD or LCD panel or not, the difference may be noticeable. You might suddenly find your classmate's/sibling's (nominally identical) machine to be a lot better/worse than your own.

I admit the problem is not easy to quantify, so the following analogy will be troubled, but nevertheless: Say you'd like to buy a bag of peas. On average each bag contains 1000 peas and you assume there's no significant variance. You get your bag, you count your peas and you end up fifty peas short. Then you start googling and find out that the average is based on two inherently different sets of bags (some with 950, others with 1050 peas) being sold as if there was no difference. Wouldn't you be annoyed?

RGDS,

Mikey7c8

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I'm not sure about the panel - though i think that's covered above - but on the SSD side it'll make a noticeable difference if you use drive encryption. Otherwise, probably not.

If you're someone who prefers to use the encryption, you don't want the Toshiba SSD that's for sure. Most people don't tho ;)

77slevin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
I came across a topic yesterday that spoke of the difference between LG and Samsung LCD's. Someone posted a guide how you could check which type of screen you have. Turns out I have an LG in my Air.:eek: Never noticed anything wrong with it so I guess I'm not observant enough or I'm not too picky.:D

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
I came across a topic yesterday that spoke of the difference between LG and Samsung LCD's. Someone posted a guide how you could check which type of screen you have. Turns out I have an LG in my Air.:eek: Never noticed anything wrong with it so I guess I'm not observant enough or I'm not too picky.:D

If someone said here i'll sell you both of these computers for the same price, say, $1,000. They both are good but this one on the right is a little bit faster...

Which one would you pick?

Now if someone said, you can have either of these laptops for $1,000 (and they were both brand new / identical), it wouldn't matter which one you picked would it?

Now what if you picked the one on left and your friend picked the one on the right. You both went to starbucks to show off these fancy new computers. You find out that his is quite a bit faster, and maybe the screen looks a lot better too.

Would you be a little jealous, better yet - if there was a way you could get the better one, would you?

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010

You should add the custom LCD profile that was created by a MR member for LG panels. I just received a 13" with the LG panel, which I felt looked awfully washed out right out of the box. Upon adding and switching to this custom profile, the LCD looks much better. I intend to work on AE, PS projects on it (not finalize) and I'm more than happy with the quality.

I'd link to the thread with the profile if I weren't on my phone. Just do a google search for "MacBook air LG LCD" and you'll see a few hits that have the profile linked.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I don't get the point about people complaining about getting Toshiba SSD, LG panes etc....

Just because some ppl can tell between a Chateau Lafit vs a Bordeaux and you can't... :D

I can't either. Must be very stressful to live with such discriminating taste.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just because some ppl can tell between a Chateau Lafit vs a Bordeaux and you can't... :D

Errr… a Lafite is a Bordeux… :confused:

Sleepy01

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013

I must not be cultured. My Toshiba SSD boots up in 11 seconds :rolleyes:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I admit the problem is not easy to quantify, so the following analogy will be troubled, but nevertheless: Say you'd like to buy a bag of peas. On average each bag contains 1000 peas and you assume there's no significant variance. You get your bag, you count your peas and you end up fifty peas short. Then you start googling and find out that the average is based on two inherently different sets of bags (some with 950, others with 1050 peas) being sold as if there was no difference. Wouldn't you be annoyed?

RGDS,

Actually, your argument is flawed. If Apple sold a MacBook pro with "256GB" storage - some of which had 266, some had 246, then your analogy might work. But they don't.

If you wanted to model this situation around peas - then better arguments might be:

- The peas in my brother's bag are slightly greener
- My mother's peas cook 5 seconds faster

But at the end of the day - they're still peas.

Nowhere does Apple advertise what speed SSD is in the machines. Nor to they state anything about the panel other than its resolution.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Actually, your argument is flawed. If Apple sold a MacBook pro with "256GB" storage - some of which had 266, some had 246, then your analogy might work. But they don't.

If you wanted to model this situation around peas - then better arguments might be:
SNIP.

I also wrote (emphasis added):

Whether you are interested enough to find out the maker of your SSD or LCD panel or not, the difference may be noticeable. You might suddenly find your classmate's/sibling's (nominally identical) machine to be a lot better/worse than your own.

I admit the problem is not easy to quantify, so the following analogy will be troubled, but nevertheless:

But thank you for a perfect example of selective quoting.

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.