Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knockworstface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
How long do you think the iPhone 4 will be supported for? Many people are still using the iPhone 4 and 4s. Do you guys think it will be supported for quite sometime?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
How long do you think the iPhone 4 will be supported for? Many people are still using the iPhone 4 and 4s. Do you guys think it will be supported for quite sometime?

If you want it to last, don't upgrade the OS. Unless of course there is a feature you MUST have.

IOS7 will be compelling though, am not saying is gonna be better, but it will be the 1st fresh IOS in the post-Jobs era.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

By supported I assume you mean iOS updates, in that case maybe 2 more years.

If you mean by hardware exchanges at the genius bar... the original iPhone is still supported, so I could only assume a long time.

Knockworstface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
If you want it to last, don't upgrade the OS. Unless of course there is a feature you MUST have.

IOS7 will be compelling though, am not saying is gonna be better, but it will be the 1st fresh IOS in the post-Jobs era.

I was on 4.3.4 for quite sometime and the phone ran like crap, when I upgraded to the iOS 6 the phone runs great. Currently on the latest version of iOS 6...6.1.2 and its almost like a brand new phone. No complaints.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

Depending on when Apple announces iOS 7, the iPhone 4 may/may not get supported.

If Apple shows off the iPhone 5S in June/July than the iPhone 4 would most likely be dropped as Apple won't see them anymore.

If Apple shows off the iPhone 5S in Aug/Sep and show iOS 7 off at WWDC in June than the iPhone 4 would most likely be supported with limited features (like the iPhone 3GS and iOS 6).

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I wonder if Apple will just reduce the cost if the unsubsidized iPhone 4 once the 5S comes out rather than discontinue it. It could be their solution to needing to create some cheaper iPhone if they can drop the iPhone 4 8GB down to $299 or $349 no contract.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I'm guessing iOS 7 will be its last os update. The iPhone 4 is really starting to show its age. The hardware in it is almost 4 years old as it's the same as what's in the 3GS, just more power efficient and a 200mhz faster processor. Apple will likely drop it when they announce the 5s and the 4s will take the $0 spot.

Iceboie

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
i'm hoping my 3gs's get ios7 :D

Lol... Yeah I bought a iphone 3GS a month ago since iOS 6 was supported to test the Apple's ecosystem since I am an Android guy and so, I am enjoying the iOS experience. Though my 3gs freezes constantly but I am assuming is because I have installed too much JB tweaks.. BTW, my carrier is Tmo and hopefully, the network performance will gradually be better when Tmo officially releases their own iphone 5 this month.

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
In my eyes,iPhone 4 will be supported for at least two years. Apple release the iPhone 3gs in 2009 and continued in production until September 2012 when the iPhone 5 was announced. Only when Apple Stop making the iPhone 4, Apple will stop update for the iPhone 4.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I think it will be around for 1-2 more years, before it starts to fade, maybe longer. I think the IP4 with iOS 6 is solid, however we all do not know if it will get iOS7, but I had a 4 with OS6 and it was decent, but now owning a 5 and Samsung Note II, it seems dog slow to me, but still a groundbreaking phone by any means.

When I see the 4 I always think of that June Day I pre-ordered mine and sat online for 3 hours to pick it up.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

You can look at it the way I am with the 4 I have (that my wife's using). It's a perfectly good and viable phone for years to come. I've left it on 5.1.1 (jailbroke) and have no intention of updating (notice I didn't say upgrade) the OS because it Apple hasn't introduced anything I need in OS6 and probably won't for years to come.

If you stop feeling the need to keep updating the 4 to whatever Apple flushed out of their pipes, you'll be just fine for years down the road. Heck, my kid is still using my old, old 3GS on 4.2.1. Works just fine.

Hail Caesar

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
I think it has 2 more iOS updates before its cooked, which is amazing compared to how other phones are supported.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I think a fair upgrade path would be OS support for 1 year after the device gets discontinued. So if the 5s comes out in June, then the 4 should be supported (at least partially supported) with the latest OS until June 2014.

Of course, international sales will come into play as other countries may sell the 4 a little longer.

Also, you have to look at other devices using the same internals as the iphone4. I think the entry level iPod touch has the same internals as the iPhone 4. So if they dump the iPod touch 4g in October, then expect support for the iPhone 4 to last until oct 14.

I think someone should come out with a handy chart showing how long each ios device was supported after it was discontinued.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
The iP4? I agree with the above- probably about 2 more years. It is the iP4S that will surprise us. I bet it's around for five+.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I think it has 2 more iOS updates before its cooked, which is amazing compared to how other phones are supported.

Seeing as how the two more updates is just a guess, nothing is amazing. We'll wait and see. The internals are approaching 4 years old, and it barely got anything with iOS 6. After the 5S is comes out, it's safe to say based on past releases that the 4 is done. It had a great run but all icons need to retire at some point.

Firesign3394

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
Minnesota

It will receive updates as long as it is being sold in stores. The moment the new iPhone comes out, and the iPhone 4S becomes the free phone, the iPhone 4 will no longer receive updates.

EX: iPhone 3GS still received iOS 6 when it was the free phone some months ago, but iPad 1 did not go past iOS 5.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Meh. The iPhone 4 is already done. Yeah its getting iOS updates so you can buy more apps that require the latest OS but its not getting Apples feature like Siri or navigation (love them or hate them). All you are getting is a numerical addition in settings > general > about under OS version....

Come iOS 7 and you'll get even less features. That is also where the 4S won't get some new feature Apple releases citing its due to hardware even though you know that isn't true.

BTW I don't blame them for this, its what drives people to want to upgrade and increase Apples profit which is why they are in business to begin with.

I'm more about the software anymore. Useful features or lack thereof is why I'm still using a 4S. If the 5S has something amazing software wise I might bite...

Edit: You still get very small features like DnD and passbook but nothing with any real heft to it.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I think....

that based only in iOS upgrades, the iPhone maybe have a year more of life... :eek:Still, no so sure.....

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
As the last phone model to sport a single core processor, I have a feeling it may not be eligible for many of the new features in ios7. We really likely see only a few minor new features, basically like ios6 in the 3GS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.