Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A set of patent applications discovered by AppleInsider today suggests that Apple may be considering allowing customers to resell or lend iTunes Store content to other users in the same way they might sell a physical book, music CD or movie DVD.

itunes-resale.png
Apple's system is similar to one outlined in a separate patent already granted to Amazon, although Amazon's approach requires transactions to be made via a central marketplace while Apple's proposed approach would also allow direct user-to-user transfers.
Techniques are provided for managing access to a digital content item (such as an ebook, music, movie, software application) to be transferred from one user to another. The transferor is prevented from accessing the digital content item after the transfer occurs. The entity that sold the digital content item to the transferor enforces the access rights to the digital content item by storing data that establishes which user currently has access to the digital content item. After the change in access rights, only the transferee is allowed access to the digital content item. As part of the change in access rights, the transferee may pay to obtain access to the digital content item. A portion of the proceeds of the "resale" may be paid to the creator or publisher of the digital content item and/or the entity that originally sold the digital content item to the original owner.
Restrictions are outlined to prevent abuse of the facility, such as allowing publishers to limit transfers to certain timescales (for example, requiring the user to have owned the product for a certain length of time before selling it), frequency (limiting how often someone could sell their content), price (enforcing a minimum price) and buyer (perhaps limiting sales to within the country of origin).

The patent covers gifting and loan as well as resale, and outlines an option for the content publisher to receive a cut in return for granting rights to transfer the content.

It should of course be noted that Apple files a huge number of patent applications, only a tiny minority of which ever see the light of day in an Apple product or service, but it is interesting to see Apple at least exploring the idea.

Article Link: Apple Patent Applications Address User-to-User Resale and Lending of iTunes Store Content

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
If this ever goes through, I bet the resale will happen through iTunes and Apple will get some share of that resale. Even though the article says user-to-user, I doubt it will happen.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Yet more DRM. Thanks but no thanks, Apple. I will continue to buy nothing from the iStore.

Techniques are provided for managing access to a digital content item (such as an ebook, music, movie, software application) to be transferred from one user to another. The transferor is prevented from accessing the digital content item after the transfer occurs.

Boomchukalaka

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Yes!!!! This right here, this is what we need in this digital age. I miss reading a book or hearing a song and not being able to say to my brother or a good friend, "Have you read So&So? No? Here's my copy, you might enjoy their work."

Content needs to be payed for, I completely agree with this, otherwise there is no incentive to create. But paid content also needs to be shared, so that enjoyment of the experience can be shared. In the world we live in today, I can lend you a book, and authors and publishers seem to be doing okay: the same should apply with this digital model.

I hope Apple gets this functionality.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
resale or lend digital content ? now thats interesting and something that we can all benefit from.

just don't let samsung knows about this.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Reselling of books could be a brilliant idea.

Split the profit on the resell between you and Apple/publisher and there would be an army of used book salesman out there pushing their old books onto friends. Could be win win all around.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
resale or lend digital content ? now thats interesting and something that we can all benefit from.

just don't let samsung knows about this.

Why? Samsung could copy Amazon and Kindle's lending library if they need to model it after something.

Now obviously - this goes beyond book lending. But it's not like the model is foreign.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
A crucial consideration is intra-family transfer. Ability to give my digital content to wife or kids is important, especially when you consider issues of metabolic cessation.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I can see trading movies or books with a friend for a small fee that Apple gets.

Eg. I want to trade SuperBad for Office Space. Apple charges me and my friend $5 each. Apple makes $3, gives publishers $7. I have a movie at a much lower cost than buying new ($20). Apple and publishers still make some money.

But I can't see why they would allow resale. It's not like printed material where there is a significant cost of production to be saved by reselling. Digital content costs almost nothing once created.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012

Yelmurc

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Houston TX
I don't see how content owners would sign up for this. If my memory serves me correctly most of the license and contract you have when you buy digital goods state your just buying a license to use their product you don't actually own a copy.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I can see trading movies or books with a friend for a small fee that Apple gets.

Eg. I want to trade SuperBad for Office Space. Apple charges me and my friend $5 each. Apple makes $3, gives publishers $7. I have a movie at a much lower cost than buying new ($20). Apple and publishers still make some money.

But I can't see why they would allow resale. It's not like printed material where there is a significant cost of production to be saved by reselling. Digital content costs almost nothing once created.

This remains why I am still a fan of physical media. Color me old school. I love to stream stuff. I even like renting a movie. But having my purchased media in the cloud or on a hard drive that is locked to a provider isn't my thing.

Here's your scenario in my preferred process. I buy a dvd or blu-ray (which is the same if not less than iTunes) and if a friend wants to borrow it - I lend it to them. And I/my friend doesn't have to pay for that privilege.

I was referring to this news http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/27/4035064/samsung-wallet-app-apple-passbook-features

where at a certain point samsung would activate the copy and paste function to what apple would and have done.

I know what you're referring to. Irrelevant.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
In the world we live in today, I can lend you a book, and authors and publishers seem to be doing okay: the same should apply with this digital model.

If the authors and publishers had their way, public libraries would be just as illegal as any other sort of distribution that they cannot make a profit from.

Look at the history of the First Sale Doctrine.

And you don't need additional DRM to lend your digital copies to your friend. Not yet, anyways. You are free to do so any time you wish, with no legal repercussions, no thanks to the authors and the publishers.

This new thing by apple will NOT increase your ability to do anything. It will only put additional screws into consumers.

Last edited:

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I'd love to see this happen. I'd even give Apple 30% because if they facilitate this and make it easy to do then it's worth it. Everyone benefits. Right now there's no way to resell anything I buy digitally (content) like there is with DVD/BluRay/CD. Bargain hunters can find what they are looking for cheaper and some people can raise some extra cash if they need it. Probably would spur people into trying things they wouldn't have tried otherwise.

I saw the article about Amazon's approach earlier. I'm just glad that we're reaching a point where a digital second-hand marketplace might become a reality.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It should of course be noted that Apple files a huge number of patent applications, only a tiny minority of which ever see the light of day in an Apple product or service, but it is interesting to see Apple at least exploring the idea.

Given the year after year griping about merging apple IDs, I suspect this one is actively under work

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

Split the profit on the resell between you and Apple/publisher and there would be an army of used book salesman out there pushing their old books onto friends. Could be win win all around.

Why should I split any revenue with Apple or the publisher when I sell my old books?

Do you have to give Chevrolet a cut when you sell your old car? If suddenly you had to sell your used car through Chevrolet's used car lot, and you had to split your money with them, would you be happy?

If not, then why does such an scheme with digital content make you happy?

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009

I was just thinking about this (this morning) today regarding selling ibooks comics that may end up going up in price or being discontinued..

----------

Why should I split any revenue with Apple or the publisher when I sell my old books?

Do you have to give Chevrolet a cut when you sell your old car? If suddenly you had to sell your used car through Chevrolet's used car lot, and you had to split your money with them, would you be happy?

If not, then why does such an scheme with digital content make you happy?

this is true but we're talking about apple.. they will find a way to take a cut

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'd love to see this happen. I'd even give Apple 30% because if they facilitate this and make it easy to do then it's worth it. Everyone benefits. Right now there's no way to resell anything I buy digitally (content) like there is with DVD/BluRay/CD. Bargain hunters can find what they are looking for cheaper and some people can raise some extra cash if they need it. Probably would spur people into trying things they wouldn't have tried otherwise.

I saw the article about Amazon's approach earlier. I'm just glad that we're reaching a point where a digital second-hand marketplace might become a reality.

So Apple (and others) create a problem (which everyone loves and doesn't think it's a problem) - now they will "fix" the problem and possibly charge for it - and people will rejoice?

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.