Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fonnegan

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Okay, it sucks a hell of a lot because I'd written a huge post explaining the workings of the newest beta version and what had been implemented (some clever stuff/additions/options). I'd written how it had worked shockingly well for me even at the earliest beta stage and how my phone was looking so good off the back of that alone. Just great stuff. I had a lot of info. Covered everything you can think of (note: I know some people couldn't care less - i appreciate that - I'm just filling in the blanks).

I need to say, without any doubt, and especially in the way he comes off, Vertex is a great guy. He's really nice and he doesn't even need to be. Really lighthearted, but after a very short exchange via email, I'm just not allowed to publicly discuss the topic.

That's fine. I have to respect that. I feel like a total idiot for doing so thus far.

I will say, though, just hold on a bit longer, it really IS coming, and in my opinion already, it's just so good. So good.

Sorry guys. :(

I feel like I've done wrong by the developer and done wrong by anyone reading the thread.

Anyway, as I say, hang on for it. So very nearly there. So very worth it.

Don't be too strict to yourself. Vertex posted this youtube video himself and I guess this is'nt far from what you're actually testing.

You gave us good news and now we are waiting for the release.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Don't be too strict to yourself. Vertex posted this youtube video himself and I guess this is'nt far from what you're actually testing.

You gave us good news and now we are waiting for the release.

Has anyone tried downloading the beta from the repo shown in the video?

Fonnegan

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
In the meanwhile I was able to get the repo of the beta. And I can confirm that it looks just like the video shows it. At the moment it has some problems with icon creation. But once that is done it works flawless like before iOS 6.

3-pack

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
It works!

The repo is http://cydia.myrepospace.com/Vertex. I installed the beta on my iPad 3, and it works perfectly -- no issues at all with icon creation. Just tap and hold on the folder you want to change and touch the new grey badge. The rest is explained. It is important that your imported icons (backgrounds and foregrounds) are named properly for your device, though, or you will crash into safe mode.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
The repo is http://cydia.myrepospace.com/Vertex. I installed the beta on my iPad 3, and it works perfectly -- no issues at all with icon creation. Just tap and hold on the folder you want to change and touch the new grey badge. The rest is explained. It is important that your imported icons (backgrounds and foregrounds) are named properly for your device, though, or you will crash into safe mode.

probably just me (sigh), but...installed the beta and...can't find it. resprung, rebooted.. no app icon anywhere (and nothing in settings).

so...what am i doing wrong? :confused:

cubian

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2010
U need 2 press any icon till starts to jiggle ull find a gear thing on the top left corner click that gear will take u 2 change icon

probably just me (sigh), but...installed the beta and...can't find it. resprung, rebooted.. no app icon anywhere (and nothing in settings).

so...what am i doing wrong? :confused:

Fonnegan

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013

Well if you copy the imagefiles in the named directories everything goes well. But icon creation from an image crashes winterboard and the option to choose from an installed app is disabled atm.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
just a test, but...coool...... (text icons, i need to make them better)...
FITEST.PNG

Kratellismorru

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2013
Deb file

Good day everyone, can someone upload the deb file of FolderIcons 2.99?
I cannot add vertex's repo, always ends at an error when adding the repo.

Thanky You!

Jack Gasoline

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
Works pretty good already on my iPad 2/ iOS 6.1.2. Crashes to safe mode when I try to import images. But, this looks very, very promising. Big thumbs up to Vertex!

cheesebanana

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
played around with it last night. whipped up a set for myself really quick. lookin good

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 136

Kratellismorru

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2013
humble request

Works pretty good already on my iPad 2/ iOS 6.1.2. Crashes to safe mode when I try to import images. But, this looks very, very promising. Big thumbs up to Vertex!

sir, can you upload the deb file? I really want it, yet I am having problems with the repo

TerryOhr

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2013
Thank you Vertex

Thanks to Vertex for updating Folder Icons for iOS 6. Here is my home screen. Office, Finance, Utilities, Media, Games, Readers, Lifestyle, Music, Bookmarks, and Xcode are all folders. Thanks for making my home screen look good again. I am running iPod 5 and iPod 4.

Attachments

• Folders.PNG
    Folders.PNG
    687 KB · Views: 142

limitzero

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
that repo is down, can someone post the .deb file for foldericons that works with ios 6 please, thanks

gSOLO

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Was going to wait until the final version was released, but decided to go ahead with the beta anyway. My springboard looks so much better now.

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
Was testing the beta this early morning and ran into multiple problems:
-Foldericon is sitting too low - so the badge icon doesn´t fit.
-If I change thumbnailsetting at one folder, the thumbs at another folder reappear. And vice versa. An endless respring orgy has to be done.

For me this tweak is totally overloaded. The perfect tweak/app does one thing and that does it perfect.

Who would use foldericons and also want to see the thumbnails? Nobody.
Why settings for label, shadow and so on? Other tweaks will do that.
As we see above all these options are hard to code and only bring up problems.

Foldericons should do only one thing: changing foreground. Bäm! Ready.
That is what we want, isn´t it?

What I like is that the options are done at the folder and not in Settings.

Nevertheless big thanks to Vertex for putting hard work in it.
I will donate for sure if the tweak runs flawlessly.
Because it is the last big tweak I need for the perfect layout of my homescreen.

Edit: Some problems result from interacting with other tweaks that hide lables like CustomGrid2 or Shrink. One more reason for my opinion above.

Last edited:

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Who would use foldericons and also want to see the thumbnails? Nobody.
Why settings for label, shadow and so on? Other tweaks will do that.
As we see above all these options are hard to code and only bring up problems.

Those settings are for individual folders, and as far as I know there are no tweaks that will allow you to do some of those things. For example, when initially looking at my springboard none of the icons have labels so I do not want to have labels for my folders. However, some of my folders have folders inside them (using folderenhancer). Any icons in folders I have set to display labels, so I want the folders located there also to display labels.

Cliffs -> No labels on main folders, labels on folders that are inside folders. How would I achieve that with another tweak?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.