Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released minor updates for its suite of iWork apps for the iPhone and the iPad. The iOS versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote have all been updated with minor stability improvements and bug fixes.

iwork.jpg
This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes.
The last major update to the iOS apps came in early December, adding several significant improvements.

Pages, Numbers, and Keynote for iOS are all available from the App Store for $9.99.

Direct iOS Links: Pages, Numbers, Keynote

Article Link: Apple Updates Keynote, Numbers and Pages for iOS with Bug Fixes

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
.... damn! Received an alert about iWork being updated. I thought it was the desktop version. D'oh! .......

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
And still PAGES is missing a simple search feature. I have over 500 docs in folders within the app and no way fast way to search for one.

LastMinuteMike

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
Good, iWork for iOS is really good. Now my hope is the iWork team is focusing on the long overdue update for the Mac. I hope they bring over the looks from iOS (leather toolbar for Pages, slate for Keynote/Numbers) even though I know a lot of people are against "leathery" design :D

My bet is that they'll release an update this summer, I can think of dozens of features I'd like to see in Keynote!

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
About time.
iWork is so cheap compared to micro-and-soft (hehe) office.

And it works wonders. I only use MS Excel on my Mac for one task. And I'm working on migrating that so it would work in iOS.

Does anyone know what exactly was fixed?
I found one so far:
- External keyboard shortcuts to change text attributes now work: COMMAND-B COMMAND-I COMMAND-U, etc.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Not sure what is more important -- updating the Mac version to completely kill off the need for MS office or making the iOS version equal to the Mac version. I no longer use the MS stuff at home and really do not miss it, but I am not 100% sure I could get away with MS at the office. But I do find that I can start things on my iPad but usually finish it on the Mac. So there are opportunities for improvement in both areas.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
I could imagine that there is something inside this app that they going to announce at the 'near' Apple event...
They last did it with iCloud implementation, they already had that stuff inside the app before they even announced that service...
I think it was the 2011 WWDC iCloud part where Steve says that.

Don't Judge me if I am completely wrong^^who knows :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Not sure what is more important -- updating the Mac version to completely kill off the need for MS office or making the iOS version equal to the Mac version. I no longer use the MS stuff at home and really do not miss it, but I am not 100% sure I could get away with MS at the office. But I do find that I can start things on my iPad but usually finish it on the Mac. So there are opportunities for improvement in both areas.

I don't think you're ever going to see complete feature parity between Office and iWork. For those of use who left Office behind, that's okay -- iWork has never been about feature cram, and this is a good thing. You're also probably never going to see complete feature parity between the Mac and iOS versions of iWork, and that's a little less okay. The limitations of iOS iWork can be a problem if you create documents on the Mac and things get lost in translation. Until/unless Apple allows fonts to be added to iOS, this is always going to be a problem without a fix.

Last edited:

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
And still PAGES is missing a simple search feature. I have over 500 docs in folders within the app and no way fast way to search for one.

I feel for you...
If I were you I'd consider WebDAVing them...

Get a second WebDAV client app ready that allows you to browse the files and search for them then.

It's a workaround, but at least something... Have you considered this?

Or use a file manager app to store them.

The best one around right now seems to be Files.
(https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/files-app/id595075818?mt=8)

Again, just a workaround as you need to export and re-import and all that all the time, but hey, that's of course the most natural way of handling files. *cough*
Oh Apple, you and your problems with iOS apps working together more nicely... *sigh*

You're not normal...
But it won't be that hard to implement either.
I'll tell you what's not normal: apps being the folders for the stuff you want to open in them and if you want to open something somewhere else you have to make copies and fight duplicates on a device that already only comes at 64 or (new) 128GB max at a HEFTY surcharge.

Nope, THAT is not normal.

If they insist on apps being their own document folders, they better get their act together and fight the need to duplicate stuff, make apps work together better and make app data independent from their apps...
(another random, less crucial example: So you are on vacation and need to free up some space on your iPhone to take more pictures, you're out and about and can't be bothered going back to the hotel where your laptop is... or maybe not? :) You only brought your iPad maybe...)
Either way, you're there and just want to free up some space, best way to quickly get space, delete that one 1GB game... the joy? Lose your gamesave along the way, because if you install an app again, no way to get the app data back from a backup in iTunes... Hooray! :) - when simplicity gets in the way of crucial functionality or data conservation... then you know you're doing it wrong. And this is just a game example... What if you want to delete and reinstall an app to fix crashes? Well, bad luck if it's got important data in it. Long story short: Your data in iOS is always just inches away from being dug into the grave of data destruction by bad OS/backup&restore design. Unless you're jailbroken and willing to spend some time fixing stuff by hand... Which actually sounds more like Android than iOS, doesn't it? (the fixing stuff by hand part))

Glassed Silver:mac

Last edited:

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I think we might finally see a new iWork this summer...

Honestly, I think iWork for Mac is the b%#*#d child that has been disowned.

It's pretty clear that iOS is getting all the focus. I think that iWork for Mac will be left to drift into the darkness.

But God I hope I'm wrong.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

It's pretty clear that iOS is getting all the focus. I think that iWork for Mac will be left to drift into the darkness.

Apple has been hiring Mac App developers to work on the next version of iWork, recently. I applied for the position a month ago but haven't heard back from them :-/

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Lately I prefer Google Drive for small excel or text documents since it allows easy collaboration with other users. I still use iWork on my Mac from time to time.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Apple has been hiring Mac App developers to work on the next version of iWork, recently. I applied for the position a month ago but haven't heard back from them :-/

Yeah. Don't know what to make of that.

I think they're just going to keep bumping the iOS versions, whilst maintaining basic compatiblity with the latest OSX version and increased iCloud support on the Mac end.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

Not sure I see that. The iOS version was way behind the Mac version in development. The Mac version is mature as it stands. I wouldn't want to see changes just to make new versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.