Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The original iPhone and iPad versions of Rovio's hugely popular Angry Birds game are currently free for the first time on the App Store. TechCrunch says that the move is part of Apple's "App of the Week" promotion, although Apple has yet to update its App Store pages with new banners.

angry_birds_app_of_week_levels.jpg
Angry Birds launched on the iPhone in December 2009, with the "HD" version for the iPad following in April 2010. Since January 2011, Rovio has offered free sampler versions of the apps with unique levels, but this is the first time the full versions of the game have been free on iOS. The Android version of the app has long been free, but that version is ad-supported while the free iOS version does not currently contain in-app ads.

In addition to the price drops, Rovio has also added 15 new levels to the "Bad Piggies" episode in the games. Angry Birds Space and Angry Birds Space HD have also been updated with a new theme song from legendary Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash, who has also received his own honorary Angry Bird image.

- Angry Birds [Direct Link]
- Angry Birds HD [Direct Link]

Article Link: Angry Birds for iPhone and iPad Go Free in App Store

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
If it's "free" as in "we'll keep trying to play video ads between each level" like they did for Bad Piggies, I'll pass.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I held out and didn't buy it and this my reward!!:rolleyes:

Nah, I was one of the first to buy it.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
If it's "free" as in "we'll keep trying to play video ads between each level" like they did for Bad Piggies, I'll pass.

They go a lot further than that.

There's an ad for Star Wars on the level-select screen. If you pause the game, the right hand side has ads for all of their games and merchandising. The stage-select for the Bad Piggies-themed level has an ad for the Bad Piggies game. Not to mention all of the freemium upgrades and powerups.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I bought it for iPhone years ago. But I refuse to pay 3 more dollars for an HD version for my iPad when I can just upscale the 99 cent version.

Free is a good price though. I'll buy it for free.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Pretty sure the full iPhone version has been free in the past, at least it has in the UK store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.