Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Confuzzeled23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Hey everyone,
I have a new iPhone 5. Restored from my iCloud 3GS backup. My 3GS used to sporadically reboot. I would be using my phone and all of a sudden the screen would go black and the apple logo would appear and then the phone would start back up.

This just happened on my iPhone 5 after receiving a text and going to read it. I swiped to read and the apple logo appeared for 4 seconds and I was back at the lock screen with battery time usage stats reset indicating the phone was reset.

Any idea why this would happen?

Thanks.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Hey everyone,
I have a new iPhone 5. Restored from my iCloud 3GS backup. My 3GS used to sporadically reboot. I would be using my phone and all of a sudden the screen would go black and the apple logo would appear and then the phone would start back up.

This just happened on my iPhone 5 after receiving a text and going to read it. I swiped to read and the apple logo appeared for 4 seconds and I was back at the lock screen with battery time usage stats reset indicating the phone was reset.

Thanks.

This has never happened to me.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
It's probably just a bug. Without knowing what else you were doing before the crash or what other apps you had running, it'll be difficult to pinpoint the issue.

I wouldn't get too concerned about it though unless it starts happening often.

KeysieNole

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
this has happened to me too.... several times, and always after I get a text. My phone vibrates, and before I can swip it to read or touch the message icon it goes to the apple logo and then to my lock screen. :confused::confused::confused:

Hey everyone,

Thanks.

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
my 4s with ios 6 also reboots itself once in a while, never hapened before

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
my 4s with ios 6 also reboots itself once in a while, never hapened before

What were you doing when it happened on your 4s? Several times?

It's happened on mine twice: minutes after taking it out the box and after a restore with restore from backup from a white iPhone 5

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Hey everyone,

Thanks.

Probably because your old 3GS backup is corrupted somehow, and since you restored this backup on your iPhone 5, the problem is being transferred to it, I guess. Restoring it and setting up as a new phone should eradicate the issue.

sauldejesus19

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Iphone 5 ramdom rebooting

The same thing happens to me from time to time when I am receiving a txt it will reboot. Iphone 5 64GB

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I swear every time it's from slide up to take a photo and usually trying to open messages but today it happened with the camera thing/looking at the photo, returning to home screen without receiving a message.

Restored and set up as new on 6.0.1 a while back too.

I wonder if restrictions off has anything to do with it. Turned off location services and turned on restrictions (but didn't flip any apps off)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Vh84e86NosE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVh84e86NosE

I can reproduce that glitch on two iphone 5s (mine included). Not always but most of the time..

Drmedic

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Happened to me second day I had my iPhone 5.
I was swiping across to read a new text when the apple logo pops up for about 5 seconds.
Battery usage data was gone, however, the apps that I had open were still open =/ No idea why this happens, but it's only happened once.

sohaloh

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
London, Ontario
Dunno if this is related but after the random reboot and plus 1 on the reset counter my battery life doubled with the same amount of HEAVY usage. I attached a pic, this included constant whatsapp, 2 hours calls, 2 hours of deadzone and lots of browsing, wifi always on, everything on. Amazing, I don't notice battery much since I keep the percentage off. But more than 10 hours of usage? Wow...

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG.jpg
    IMG_0001.PNG.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 264

Confuzzeled23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Just an update.

Restored my iPhone as new last week and my iPhone just rebooted as I received a text. No idea why it happens. But it's still happening.

Thanks for all the great discussion.

Lylepalooza

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
My iPhone 5 (32GB, iOS 6.0.2) has done it twice now, crashing to the Apple logo for 5 seconds and then the lock screen.

Both times I was attempting to swipe down on the Notification Centre. No texts were received at that time.

As texts are accessed through notification centre on the lock screen, I predict that is where the bug lies.

Bram.d.S.

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
Hello everyone :)
I recently got a new iPhone 5 (my first one broke after 4 months of usage, physical button problems). Now with this new one, I have the same issue as mentioned in the discussion above. It's really annoying. My first iPhone 5 didn't do this at all. I restored my iPhone and set it up as new, haven't changed anything :(. I was just wondering, is there a solution yet? Or is it a software issue?
Kind regards :)
Bram

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hello everyone :)
I recently got a new iPhone 5 (my first one broke after 4 months of usage, physical button problems). Now with this new one, I have the same issue as mentioned in the discussion above. It's really annoying. My first iPhone 5 didn't do this at all. I restored my iPhone and set it up as new, haven't changed anything :(. I was just wondering, is there a solution yet? Or is it a software issue?
Kind regards :)
Bram
Are you running the latest version of iOS 6 (and not jailbroken)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.