Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nereo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
I'm having problems with Mac Mail which I cannot seem to fix. I've tried several "fixes" I've read online (see below) but none have solved the problem.

My system: 15" MBP retina OS 10.8.2

Basic problem: Mac mail has been my mail client for several years. Last month it suddenly would not let me send emails from my home WiFi, but I could receive emails fine. Sending messages yielded "Cannot send message with server... content to the server failed" Listed outgoing servers were correct, but labeled as "offline". However, mail still worked fine at work for a while; no problems. Now I have intermittent problems sending mail with etiher of my two different email accounts via mac mail. Still receive emails fine.

Fixes I have tried: I changed ports and toggled SSL on/off, using ports 993, 25, 51, 465 and 587 as suggested. I deleted all my accounts completely, then went into Keychain access and deleted all stored passwords and secured trash, then reinstalled my two email accounts. Emails reloaded but the same problem remains. Weird thing - when I deleted my accounts and reinstalled my two current email accounts I also deleted three "inactive" email accounts from previous jobs. I did not reinstall those. However, now when I try to send an email they pop up under "Edit SMTP Server List" even though they are no longer installed on mac mail. I also get the choice to use that outgoing mail server in mac mail (even though I deleted it... or thought that I did. They do not show up when I go into "accounts)

Sending emails from work is intermittent. This mroning it worked fine. This afternoon I can't send at all.

Also, my girlfriend can send and recieve emails fine on her MPB from our same WiFi. Checked her settings against mine and they're identical.

I also followed the steps outlined in Apple's help page.
What's confusing me is how the problem is intermittent. Because I can sometimes send emails I know my SMTP info must be right.

can anyone help me fix this?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Are the email addresses that you're trying to send from all through the same provider? For example, are these all GMail addresses, or addresses that go through the same outgoing server?

Nereo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
No, they aren't - one's a MS outlook, the other an AOL address. also have a gmail account that had the same problems (wouldn't allow me to send emails from certain locations), but I deleted that one when I tried to reinstall everything.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Are you running any protection software, things like virus scanners or firewalls? Any software that integrates heavily with the OS and possibly does something with the network connection? Any possibility of malware?

Nereo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
No antivirus software other than apple updates, no firewalls besides my basic WiFi password, but that's the same for all the other computers accessing. It seems the problem is specific to something with *this* computer. not aware of any malware but that of course suggests that i should scan my system just to be sure. let you know if i find anything. for now my issue STILL IS NOT SOLVED (i'm getting frustrated, as you may be able to tell)

mikora7

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
No antivirus software other than apple updates, no firewalls besides my basic WiFi password, but that's the same for all the other computers accessing. It seems the problem is specific to something with *this* computer. not aware of any malware but that of course suggests that i should scan my system just to be sure. let you know if i find anything. for now my issue STILL IS NOT SOLVED (i'm getting frustrated, as you may be able to tell)

I wish I had an answer for you, but unfortunately, my mac is doing much the same thing. We have multiple computers, iPad, phones, all on our home network. For weeks my ability to reply to emails was intermittent on my mac desktop. Now it doesn't work at all. I have read many threads, tried resetting ports (no luck, like you) and now am wondering why my desktop computer is having the problem but my phone and iPad are not. I had not changed any settings prior to problems.

Now all of my server options say they are OFFLINE and I cannot find a way to turn them to online.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's frustrating to have to log into iCloud and att.net's servers for every email acct that I have rather than just the one mail acct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.