Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today released its location discovery app Field Trip for the iPhone. Previously an Android app released in the fall, Field Trip is designed to direct users to local points of interest.

The app runs in the background and uses Bluetooth or a popup notification to alert users when there are "cool, hidden, and unique things" nearby. Field Trip offers information on landmarks and historical facts along with recommendations on the best places to eat and shop.

fieldtrip.jpg
Discover thousands of interesting places/experiences that fall under the following categories: Architecture, Historic Places & Events, Lifestyle, Offers & Deals, Food Drinks & Fun, Movie Locations, Outdoor Art and Obscure Places of Interest around you.

Choose from three different modes to set frequency of Field Trip notifications. See "Field Trip" worthy places around you on a map, by tapping on cards in map view to pull up enthralling points of interest around you

Go on a Field Trip while you drive. Field Trip can detect when you're driving and automatically "talk" about interesting places and experience around you.

Came across an amazing story or restaurant? Mark it as a favorite to easily come back to it at any point.

Capture the memory of a special place, by sharing a wondrous discovery through email and social networks such as Google+, Twitter and Facebook.

Wondering where the gem that you recently discovered is? Find your discovered field trip cards in the "recent" section.
Field Trip utilizes information from partnerships with Thrillist, the Food Network, Zagat, Arcadia, Atlas Obscura, Daily Secret and pulls in information from sites like Cool Hunting WeHeart and Remodelista to offer a wide range of recommendations and suggestions.

Field Trip for the iPhone can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Releases Location Discovery App 'Field Trip' on iOS

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
So its like having a creepy guy follow you around tracking everywhere you go and selling it to anyone who asks, for the benefit of once in a while he'll tap you on the shoulder and say "Hey, there's something cool over there!".

Downloading now.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
So its like having a creepy guy follow you around tracking everywhere you go and selling it to anyone who asks, for the benefit of once in a while he'll tap you on the shoulder and say "Hey, there's something cool over there!".

Downloading now.

That's funny stuff right there. :D

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Sounds cool. Just got back from a road trip but now I'll have it handy for next time.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Kind of neat.

I don't like the idea of Location Services being on all the time (not for privacy so much: I choose which apps to trust; but for battery life). And I don't like the Location arrow being in the bar all the time, making it meaningless. But Dark Sky got me to turn on Location Services full-time months ago, and I'm happy to say battery life has been fine. iOS is smart about it.

So, why not use it for other things like this, too? I'll probably try it some time.

lightning inc.

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Maybe instead of releasing new apps they will updated their old ones. (Such as google translate to support iPhone 5)

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I don't know if this is the case, but what Google just pushes POI or restaurants that pay them? They are an advertising firm after all.

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
Maybe instead of releasing new apps they will updated their old ones. (Such as google translate to support iPhone 5)

oh cool. someone else likes translate. i think its one of the few useful tools google makes besides search and chrome(browser)

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Google using Apple Maps!

Am I the only one to notice that this app from Google is actually using Apple Maps?

Does that count as irony?

:D

MorphMan

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013

Google Latitude seems to have been abandoned too.

I can't see this new app in Australia yet. It would be nice if Google integrated all of this mapping stuff together.

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
You must be logged into a Google account to use it = deleted.

So it's just more phishing malware from Google? Bummer. Thanks for the warning not to waste my time downloading.
Does sound like it could be fun though - hopefully somebody will make a legit version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.