Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Hi guys, i have a dilemma, i wish buying a MBA 2012 but i dont know if next Haswell version will worth it.
i was looking for a MBA 2012:

- 11 pitches
- 64 GB / 128 GB SSD
- 8 GB RAM
- i5

Macbook Air 11 has a low battery life for now, 4/5 hours around
and i heard about Haswell giving much more battery life
is that true?
which will be the best option for me?
waiting for Haswell (August - November?)?

thanks

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
The answer rests on a combo of get it if you need it now (waiting is waiting), current computer is already awesome, and finally that nobody knows exactly how much battery numbers will change with haswell. Let us know what you decide to do!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

volvik

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
Well I know Apple doesn't give much lead time on what's coming and when but I'm hoping we'll get a better time line in the next couple of months. :rolleyes:

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Hi guys, i have a dilemma, i wish buying a MBA 2012 but i dont know if next Haswell version will worth it.

- 11 pitches
- 64 GB / 128 GB SSD
- 8 GB RAM
- i5

is that true?

thanks

Wait for haswell, i think in late june or july you can buy it. It will change the battery life and that integrated HD4600 it is a nice bump for those who want to buy now a macbook. So it's March, i don't know if is there anybody who buy now a macbook and not wait for Haswell version(except for those who really need a computer right now).
I think with Haswell the 11" will have at least 7h battery usage as well.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
ty for the informations but some rumors announce that intel will only start producing haswell chip from june
new macbook air will it be release from october / november?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Always intel's new chips land on Apple products...they are always the first to upgrade them. So if on 2nd of June the intel release the chips i think then all macbook lineup get a small upgrade.

Violet1337

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013

- 11 pitches
- 64 GB / 128 GB SSD
- 8 GB RAM
- i5

is that true?

thanks

Hello!
I had the exact same dilemma for the past couple of months and it was only a a fortnight ago did I realise that with University looming I couldn't wait any longer so I went with the 13" 2012 MBA 128GB 4GB RAM and to be perfectly honest, I regret nothing. Sure, the 2013 model will be better in terms of specs but it's currently amazing as it is. Of course, with your choice of 11", the main issue will be battery power, so depending on your usage, it may/may not be enough but it definitely will be a lot more portable! Good luck with your dilemma and go with your gut!

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Hello!
I had the exact same dilemma for the past couple of months and it was only a a fortnight ago did I realise that with University looming I couldn't wait any longer so I went with the 13" 2012 MBA 128GB 4GB RAM and to be perfectly honest, I regret nothing. Sure, the 2013 model will be better in terms of specs but it's currently amazing as it is. Of course, with your choice of 11", the main issue will be battery power, so depending on your usage, it may/may not be enough but it definitely will be a lot more portable! Good luck with your dilemma and go with your gut!

i think that was a perfectly reasonable course of action. if you wait for the 2013 then you'll start wondering, hey - what about 2014!? :D

look at it this way, the sooner you get one now, the sooner you can upgrade X years from now!

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
no 2014 version will be based on haswell aswell :D
the thing is 2013 will be an huge step for battery life :)
up to 7 hours for 11 pitches
i think we got same situation before, 2010 with core duo and 2011 with i5 and i7, performances have been boosted by far
2011 - 2012 jump wast really impressive
ok not so much in comparison for 2010 - 2011
2013 maybe the right time to buy MBA

ka-spot

Suspended
May 23, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
Soon or later there will be Macbook Air Retina and iMac will have retina too. I'm waiting to see what this june-july will bring, cus I dont neet upgrade, I just want it.. :)

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
but you want a battery life, why would you want a retina? it will only makes it worse ( for the battery life, even with Haswell )
in my opinion, retina on 11'' screen would be too much
i think all 11'' owner want a better battery life than retina stuff.
1 - battery life
2 - hardware improvement such as cpu, gpu, ssd, usb...
3 - screen resolution

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
1 - battery life
3 - screen resolution

quoted for emphasis

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
1 - battery life
3 - screen resolution

I think screen real estate before number 2.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
No doubt that Apple is moving all their devices to retina screens. So will happen sooner or later. I don't think the next MBA will get retina though.

If the 13" MBA is Retina, then they might as well get rid of the 13" MBP.

Both would be, essentially, the same product with different names.

davenz

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
If the 13" MBA is Retina, then they might as well get rid of the 13" MBP.

Both would be, essentially, the same product with different names.

Quoted for truth.

Do you really notice the screen on a MBA? I own an ipad and MBA. I can't say I really notice the screen difference much due to the fact i'm usually much further away from the MBA screen anyway.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The current MBA's are very nice. I'd buy now.

Based on closely following Haswell, it seems as though it may not live up to the claims. Waiting only to find it disappointing could be quite a waste of time.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I'm in the same boat.

My MBA 11" is the original 11" 1.5Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB Memory. I've wanted to buy a new 11" MBA every since two months ago, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I'd upgrade for the faster processor (PhotoShop runs very slow on my machine now) and a slightly better screen. I could either buy now and forgot the Haswell, OR wait for the next generation MBA to launch and then buy the 2012 for cheaper.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
would be possible Apple extending RAM memory until to 16 GB?
8/16 GB
128/256/512 GB
i hope 64 GB as SSD storage will be gone :mad:

16 GB, better battery life, cpu, gpu and i will buy it for sure :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.