Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinMuise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Canada, NS
I just got a MacBook Air and I didn't think it was going to be a problem because I have other things I keep my information on like external hard drive.

I was wondering if there was any website that offered cloud storage that would be a good companon to order?

Or if I'd be better off just sticking with my 1.5Tb external HDD.

I also own a iPad, iPhone, Mac Mini and iMac so if I can store any information on those wirelessly or anything like that just let me know.

I've done a lot of research on the topic and can't really find to much more solutions than a external HDD.

Thanks for any assistance.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
About SSD upgrades....

OWC make an array of options for Airs. But having said that, you can use one internal SSD with mini SATA of your choice. Samsung, Crucial and even Intel makes the most sucessful/used. Upside is the price per unit of storage still is more expensive than an external one. Pro in that option is that you can get a good chunk of the maximum speed in this interfase (6 Gb/s). More speed is meaningful because it does a smoother run in a computer. Better access/boot times. But, in a budget, is hard to beat to an external HDD. Can get even a Thundebolt one with the right time and search. (faster external theoretically)

:):apple:

AustinMuise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Canada, NS
OWC make an array of options for Airs. But having said that, you can use one internal SSD with mini SATA of your choice. Samsung, Crucial and even Intel makes the most sucessful/used. Upside is the price per unit of storage still is more expensive than an external one. Pro in that option is that you can get a good chunk of the maximum speed in this interfase (6 Gb/s). More speed is meaningful because it does a smoother run in a computer. Better access/boot times. But, in a budget, is hard to beat to an external HDD. Can get even a Thundebolt one with the right time and search. (faster external theoretically)

:):apple:

Thanks for the information, I was also looking at that option but I heard upgrading the SSD in these things can be a huge pain in the arse. Don't really want to mess with anything on the inside unless I absolutely have to.

And I'm more looking for a cheap alternative for easy gigs of storage. Is there anything I could do that would be a bit on the cheap side and accomplish that? Not looking for any lightning fast speeds.

77slevin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
Thanks for the information, I was also looking at that option but I heard upgrading the SSD in these things can be a huge pain in the arse. Don't really want to mess with anything on the inside unless I absolutely have to.

And I'm more looking for a cheap alternative for easy gigs of storage. Is there anything I could do that would be a bit on the cheap side and accomplish that? Not looking for any lightning fast speeds.

It's a mixed experience. I did last week in my 13" Air, went from 120GB to an OWC 240GB and had absolutely no problems. Other people complain that the OWC drive doesn't fit in the SSD space. When you buy the additional OWC Envoy you can keep using your original drive as external disk with USB3 speeds. (Also compatible with USB 2.0)

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It's a mixed experience. I did last week in my 13" Air, went from 120GB to an OWC 240GB and had absolutely no problems. Other people complain that the OWC drive doesn't fit in the SSD space. When you buy the additional OWC Envoy you can keep using your original drive as external disk with USB3 speeds. (Also compatible with USB 2.0)

I believe OWC have fixed that issue now.

However, OWC's support has gone downhill recently. There have been a few times they've publicly argued with customers in forums, and people have had trouble with returns.

Have you thought about using a NAS drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.