Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oyinko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
San Francisco
Hey guys, did you experience any issue with the fans of the Macbook Pro Retina?

It seems that if you have the new Sandisk SSD, there is a miscommunication with the computer that will cause the fans to spikes up for a minute or so.

Check out this topic on Apple Communities to learn more about it. https://discussions.apple.com/message/21387016

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Hey guys, did you experience any issue with the fans of the Macbook Pro Retina?

It seems that if you have the new Sandisk SSD, there is a miscommunication with the computer that will cause the fans to spikes up for a minute or so.

Check out this topic on Apple Communities to learn more about it. https://discussions.apple.com/message/21387016
Yes I have the problem, mine also has a SanDisk SSD.

Did a hardware and several other tests, all come up clear, no problems. Yet the fan spike in speed persists.

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Had the issue on two of the 15"s. Returned them both. Not beta testing with 2700$

john500y2k

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
Have been posting in the other thread linked by the OP.

I have now been through 4 exchanged machines all with the same problem all with Sandisk SSD (if that is the culprit).

To check:

About This Mac --> More Info --> System Report --> Storage

SD256 = SanDisk, SM256 = Samsung (256 dependant on size installed)

hystery

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Japan
rMBP 15 Early 2013 2.4GHz base model, mine does have the problem too. Since the first day I've been wondering. Is this all because of the SanDisk really? My retina also got SD256E. As you can see in the attatched pic, fans get maxed out when the machine's temperature is not that hot.
This happens randomly I feel. While sometimes fans go crazy for just syncing iPhone sometimes the machine keeps silent even when in under heavy use, CPU intensive work is going for like 1 hour.

I wouldn't ask for exchange just for this problem though, not comfortable definitely... Hoping 10.8.3 would fix the issues.

Attachments

• fancontrol.png
    fancontrol.png
    214.7 KB · Views: 882
  • sd256e.png
    sd256e.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 9,204
Last edited:

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Is this an issue that is worth exchanging for? I have noticed that my rMBP fans spike randomly and my HD is a SD512E. Thanks.

Jasonx82

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
Do all Early 2013 RMBP have this issue?

Just spoke with applecare, they had me do the SMC reset and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Last edited:

Veradun

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Rocking a SanDisk SSD here. Only had the fans spike up once, when I was installing Microsoft Office - which I thought was strange, because installing a program shouldn't tax the CPU enough to activate the fans at close to max RPM. I've had no issues since though. Maybe it was installing smc FanControl that helped? Just a thought.

I'm holding out in hope that issues such as these will be fixed in the next OS X update. Apart from this small issue (which I'm not too worried about) and a creaking chassis (I'll get the bottom plate refitted at the Apple Store) my laptop is perfect. No way am I returning it :D

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Do all Early 2013 RMBP have this issue?

Just spoke with applecare, they had me do the SMC reset and it seems to have fixed the issue.

After a lot of research I've come to the conclusion it's any late 2012 (mine is 2012) or 2013 MBPr with a Sandisk SSD. SMC resets rarely fix it, you are very lucky. Unless of course it returns.

Jasonx82

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
After a lot of research I've come to the conclusion it's any late 2012 (mine is 2012) or 2013 MBPr with a Sandisk SSD. SMC resets rarely fix it, you are very lucky. Unless of course it returns.

So far its been 3 hours or so since the reset and it has not come back at all hopefully it stays, I'll update you guys as I go along.

update: Hmm the fan spike just came back 5917rpm!!! Ready for takeoff!!!

Last edited:

raw8725

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
I've now done the RMA and they will be picking the laptop next week. No point complaining to the saleswoman, she knew jack. Its only a few more months till the new ones come out, I'll live. I'm certainly not willing to spend $$$ thousands to be a beta tester for 1st gen machines. I'm very glad its going back (aesthetics aside of course).

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005

This seems to affect only 15" models? I read through the link above and there wasn't a single 13" model. Could it be something between the SSD and the GPU? The GPU is the one thing a 13" model would be missing.

I haven't heard fans spinning irrationally on a early '13 13" rMBP (stock i5 2.6) I use nearly everyday. Mine arrives later next week (i7 3.0), its on a plane from Shanghai atm :)

Last edited:

cntwtfrmynwmbp

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
I have the same problem, brand new 15 inch rMBP. With Sandisk flash drive. Random fan spikes.

I hope Apple gets this fixed through a software/firmware update.

But I'm not going to return it, I'm happy enough I got a Samsung screen :)

hystery

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Japan
My friend has rMBP 15" 2012 with Samsung SSD and he says he never encountered such fan issues and it's pretty rare to hear fans roar first of all. He had no problems at all with all the situations my rMBP's fans speed risen. Only time he hears fans maxed out is when doing something he knows fan speeds would go up.
I'm starting to believe this is software based problem like people say, especially something to do with SanDisk SSD.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
I feel this must be a software issue. I have a late 2012 RMBP that also has this issue with a sandisk SSD. It can be created by just playing a song on iTunes. Surely this can be fixed by software?

canyonlight

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2011
Arizona
Saved Me Trouble

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread. You have convinced me NOT to order a new 15" rMBP.

Mr. Cook you should read this.

raw8725

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
Thanks to all who have posted in this thread. You have convinced me NOT to order a new 15" rMBP.

Mr. Cook you should read this.

I'm getting a straight full refund on mine. He should be renamed Mr Crook for taking so much cash off us and giving us an unfinished machine.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Same problem on mine. Have a MBP 15 Retina with a Sandisk SSD. Can reproduce the problem 100% of the time just by downloading any large file (say 1 gigabyte) even after a full reformat + SMC reset + PRAM reset with nothing else installed.

Machine stays cold to the touch, temperatures are cool, machine is dead silent... and then suddenly fans blast at full speed for a minute and then turn off.

I'm just holding out for Apple to fix this (hopefully through a software update) since I have a Samsung screen on mine that is gorgeous and without issues and do not want to give it up!

hystery

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Japan
Anyone tried using UltraFan or SMC Fan Control, as these apps modify the behaviour of fans?

MAN thanks for this, now I can control fans speed with UltraFan!! I havent got a chance to check if it suppress fan spikes yet though, I think it would work!
For SMC fan control with retina supported, it doesn't work well. If installed correctly it shows CPU Proximity degree and seems like to be working but no, no matter what temperature you set fans would spins faster and slower based on its own way.

UltraFan works with rMBP people.

edit: confirmed that UltraFan works with fan spikes. You can use the utility to suppress fans to roar when it's not supposed to.
Grab your copy here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1214206/

We're relieved. Now waiting for 10.8.3 is more tolerable.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
MAN thanks for this, now I can control fans speed with UltraFan!! I havent got a chance to check if it suppress fan spikes yet though, I think it would work!
For SMC fan control with retina supported, it doesn't work well. If installed correctly it shows CPU Proximity degree and seems like to be working but no, no matter what temperature you set fans would spins faster and slower based on its own way.

UltraFan works with rMBP people.

edit: confirmed that UltraFan works with fan spikes. You can use the utility to suppress fans to roar when it's not supposed to.
Grab your copy here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1214206/

We're relieved. Now waiting for 10.8.3 is more tolerable.

Your welcome, thought it would do the trick :)

Last edited:

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
My 4 days old 15" RMBP got this issue. SanDisk 512GB SSD. I hope Apple will release a firmware update to fix this sooner rather than later.

I will give UltraFan a try until then.

Edit:
Do Apple not test these things prior to launch? They should have noticed this issue during extended testing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.