Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Personally, I think the could get away with just making it thinner and faster. What else would a tablet user want?

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Deeeefinetly, thinner, lighter, better camera (just in case, cause i dont use it) more ram, faster graphics, faster proccesor, faster charging!
thats it!

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I feel like the new iPad with Retina Display just needs a thinner, lighter design with smaller bezel, maintain the current 10+ hour battery life, 2GB of RAM, and shorter charging time.

On the software front I think Apple could come up with a more tablet oriented experience. iOS works perfectly, but it's no different than the OS on my phone, save for a few design elements within apps.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I see no need for it to be thinner. Lighter Maybe. I'd like to see more OS and under the hood improvements more than anything. Namely apple not skimping on ram for once.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I'd like to see a better quality digitizer to make note taking more precise and easier. A handwriting to text feature would be nice.

Faster charging would be nice.

A better camera would be good. Not more pixels. I'd like to see better low light sensitivity, better lens, an option to attach an external lens.

Changes to iOS are needed, but this would be good for the hardware.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Want the iPad 5 to have the iPad Mini design. The iPad Mini 2 should have a Retina display.

But what I really want is more iPad-specific UI/features. For example a more OS X like mulitasking and notification center.

I think the large screen is also good for group FaceTime.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
1. Front facing stereo speakers facing the user. For my ears, the forward facing speakers are not loud enough.

2. Better camera is always welcomed but not forward, just facing user for FaceTime, etc.

3. If possible, longer lasting battery, but the current on is fine for most.

4. Improved SIRI, but that will come as software from Apple

5. Capable to remove some of the apps that Apple installs or a way to hide them.

yth

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
If you look at samsung galaxy note 10 (and the upcoming galaxy note 8) the ipad is lagging behind in many features. However, the design of the samsung is, um...lacking.

The ipad would be awesome if it had an active digitizer. Basically, this would recognize stylus input as fundamentally different than touch input. The fact that the ipad does not have an active digitizer is the #1 reason why writing on the ipad sucks. Throw in an active digitizer and you can take notes with a pressure-sensitive stylus that is basically as easy as writing on paper.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
I reeeeally want another GB of RAM, because my iPad lags when I'm using PS Touch, SketchBook and a few other design apps, when I'm design high resolution work. Yes I already have a computer for large projects. But the iPad has a large amount of capability, I use a lot when I travel or am not at my computer. If the next one has 2GB of ram, I will upgrade from my current iPad 3.

Theadamh123

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Thinner, bigger chip, more Ram, new material (carbon fiber would be nice) better camera, more colours, NFC and Wireless charging

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
What will probably happen:
  • Thinner
  • Lighter
  • Faster
  • Better cameras
  • More memory
What I want, which will probably never happen:
  • Front facing, stereo speakers.
  • Wireless charging so it can sit in a stand and charge from either orientation.
  • Digitizer so I can write notes without my palm simultaneously writing gibberish.
  • SD slot.
  • Lightning to USB 3.0 instead of 2.0.

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
Lightning to USB 3.0 instead of 2.0.

Outside of lighter (which it really needs to be, if you handle a mini you'd agree), thinner for some but not others.

USB 3 support is a MUST. Pic/file transfers are so slow right now, it's mind boggling why Apple updated the connector but went with 2.0 instead of 3.0 as the standard.

OSxiPro

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Outside of lighter (which it really needs to be, if you handle a mini you'd agree), thinner for some but not others.

USB 3 support is a MUST. Pic/file transfers are so slow right now, it's mind boggling why Apple updated the connector but went with 2.0 instead of 3.0 as the standard.

The reason Apple didn't go for USB3 is simply because the read/write speeds on all iOS devices is still in USB2 speed territory so making it USB3 is just plain stupid at this point.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Well, I am splitting it into sections

1. Hardware

a. Lighter, around 500-520g or else even less would be plain awesome.
b. Slightly more efficient and faster processor. (Its almost given that the A6X will be modified under a new SoC manufacturing process of 28nm, achieving that goal)
c. I think 2GB of RAM would be apt
d. Better quality cameras, especially front facing.
e. Cranking up the graphics ability
f. A 32Gb standard base device
g. Charging time is already going to reduce, as they will be using a smaller capacity battery. If we can squeeze more hours of battery life from the thinner batter, it will be amazing.
h. Better speakers & the addition of earphones in the box.

2. Software

a. better file management. Ability to move files from one app to another without going through itunes.
b. Open With option for standalone files
c. Bridge the gap between phone & computer, by getting the tablet to have a unique experience & more features, not available on the phone. The iOS for the iPad should be tilted towards more content creation too. The problem is that Apple & most people believe that the iPad is a content consumption device, while in reality it should be a 60-40 split (content creation and content consumption)
d. The ability to have our own choice of default apps
e. Less dependence on the computer (itunes) and more standalone device
f. a more useful notification bar
h. Multitasking is ok but it could improve.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
An upgrade over the current Mini without raising the price too much would make me happy and a buyer.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
a. better file management. Ability to move files from one app to another without going through itunes.
b. Open With option for standalone files

Yes yes yes. I really want Apple to set up a centralized document storage system that you can work out of and save into. This feature alone would be a great improvement. Right now, I kind of use Dropbox for that, but it's clunky and doesn't work well.

c. Bridge the gap between phone & computer, by getting the tablet to have a unique experience & more features, not available on the phone. The iOS for the iPad should be tilted towards more content creation too. The problem is that Apple & most people believe that the iPad is a content consumption device, while in reality it should be a 60-40 split (content creation and content consumption)

What sort of features would this be? You basically said you want "more features that are just for a tablet", but didn't really enumerate what those would be. And, yes, the iPad is primarily a consumption device. I think it's the nature of the beast right now.

e. Less dependence on the computer (itunes) and more standalone device

You don't need to ever connect an iPad to a computer if you don't want to right now. I basically never connect mine unless I need to transfer some files or something. What exactly would you change?

f. a more useful notification bar

This is actually one of the reasons I am currently considering jailbreaking my iPad.

Retina and better processor.

Are you talking about the mini? The full sized iPad already has Retina.

----------

An upgrade over the current Mini without raising the price too much would make me happy and a buyer.

Why do you think Apple will raise the price? If they do, it will be an historic first on any iOS device price.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I don't want much.

I want the full size ipad to have the same form as the mini. Make it thinner and lighter. Which I believe they will do. Tech spec boost is always good. I want more in software than hardware (besides the weight and width). Revamped iOS 7 that makes the ipad different from just being a large iphone.

I am not that big on speed since I use it for textbooks, reading, magazines, movies, web browsing.

I don't use the camera, only front for facetime and skype.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Yes yes yes. I really want Apple to set up a centralized document storage system that you can work out of and save into. This feature alone would be a great improvement. Right now, I kind of use Dropbox for that, but it's clunky and doesn't work well.

Totally agree with you on the centralized document storage system.

What sort of features would this be? You basically said you want "more features that are just for a tablet", but didn't really enumerate what those would be. And, yes, the iPad is primarily a consumption device. I think it's the nature of the beast right now.

Well, I can think of a few that is really useful

a. Multi-user account, whereby you can use the account and if you share it with someone, they could always use a guest account, etc.
b. Dynamic backgrounds
c. Default app preference
d. I am a person who prefer's organizing my content in a systematic organized manner. Abilities like folder in folder, and more number of apps/ files limit within one folder.
e. Drag and drop files
f. The ability to download files from websites or others directly, without going through the hassle of itunes to transfer them

Consumption vs Creation is a sterotype they need to break. Making it a consumption device makes it like a large phone, like someone pointed out. Make it a purely creation device is difficult, because of its various inefficiencies like laptop speed processing, too heavy graphic intensive programs, freedom to use like a laptop, proper multitasking ( excessive typing, etc...these are all subject to individual opinions). Therefore, Apple needs to try to make it hit the sweetspot. The software itself can improve alot of things on the iPad experience and shift it to a go-to-device in place of a laptop. it will take alot of time for the ipad to reach the performance level of laptops, and until then it should stop trying to be just a big screen phone, and move to assist where the laptop is not really required.

You don't need to ever connect an iPad to a computer if you don't want to right now. I basically never connect mine unless I need to transfer some files or something. What exactly would you change?

Exactly my point. Why do we need to depend on the computer to transfer something. I download a lot of music, movies, shows, etc. Why do I need to first download them onto my computer and transfer it via itunes. Why don't they just give us the ability to download it straight from within the device. With heavy restrictions, even things like torrents which are popular on the computer, haven't made it to the app front. It's things like that have stopped ipad from the great device it can really be.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
More durable glass. Let's face it, it's been 6 years since the first iOS device dropped. Enough of this glass-breaking shenanigans. I mean really, who designs a CELL PHONE that shatters when you drop it? It's built-in obsolescence.

We shouldn't have to carry around a device that we'd be more worried about if we suddenly dropped at the same time as our children or a cup of coffee. The cell phone/mobile device should ALWAYS be okay. Even MacBooks are more susceptible to survive drops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.