Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ambify.jpg
An iOS developer has made an app to sync the Philips Hue iOS-controlled LED light bulbs with music.

The $2.99 Ambify pulls tracks from the music library on an iPhone or iPad and plays them while simultaneously controlling the colors and brightness of the Philips Hue lights, creating a rave-like atmosphere with blinking multi-colored light bulbs synced to the music.
Ambify - the Hue enabled jukebox turns music into light using Philips Hue Smart Bulbs.

Being the first of it's kind, Ambify combines the simplicity of a jukebox with the endless new possibilities offered by Philips' Hue System.

It's a s simple as starting the app, selecting your lamps and choosing a playlist.
Ambify then applies our nifty algorithms to analyse and visualise your music in real-time using the lamps you've previously selected.
Ambify for iPhone and iPad is available for $2.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Ambify for iOS Sets Philips Hue Lights to Music

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
Hopefully the first of many apps for Hue. I enjoy my lights, they are great for turning on a single bulb at low light to get dressed at night while my wife is sleeping for one of my jobs, but this helps somewhat justify the cost.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
The future is here

This future is indeed here. This reminds me a bit of Journey into Imagination at EPCOT back in 1982 where one jumped over spots on the floor that were light with different colors and made music by hopping from one place to another. But this is the opposite - the music controls the lights. Truly amazing when you think about it.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Neat!

So can apps now directly read song waveforms in realtime? I'd have thought there would be more music visualizer apps if so--I've never found one that didn't use a mic-based hack. (I'd love something iTunes-like I could send to a projector.)

I heard Philips has exited the consumer market. So no more TVs and no more hue.

I was wondering that exact thing--but fear not: Philips is getting out of SOME consumer areas, like A/V, but not out of their LED lamps:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/29/3929678/philips-exits-the-consumer-electronics-business

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I actually build a system like this myself...

http://www.andrewmunsell.com/blog/raspberry-pi-leds/

I don't mention it syncs to music in that post because I hadn't completed it at that point, but it's finished now and works great. My Mac sends the music beat and frequency data to the Raspberry Pi in real time and the lights are controlled in time with the music. The user can change the effect and colors at any time using the web console and pressing buttons on your keyboard.

Obviously, that system's only going to work if you have electronics and programming knowledge-- you have to wire up the LEDs and Raspberry Pi by yourself, and then install the software to control the LEDs. It's a DIY project, but it has pretty cool results.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
There are other apps that do this much cheaper. But what I would really like to see is this built into the official app. As well as the ability for it to adjust the built in themes when you add additional lights and to create a recipe without having to find a photo to put in colors. as well as being able to set alarms that can repeat on a schedule (very handy for those alarms to wake up in the morning).

crobi

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
This is not the first app for the Philips hue on the App Store .

Hue disco: the fun feature with this one is the strobe

Hue Go: red alert etc

Magic hue the disco effect

Hue rapide : this one I didn't try

Getitdone

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
I have been wanting to purchase the Hue light system and this pretty much seals the deal for me. Back in the early 70's as a kid I had a stereo system (turntable and 2 speakers) where the top half of the speakers had light panels of some sort that changed colors and went to the beat of the music. Seems like I will be able to use the Hue/Ambify set up to do almost the same thing. Fun!

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
This looks pretty cool. Likely, however, it will be used a few times and then forgotten.

Except on rare occasions, who the heck wants their room lights to flash colors?

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Ha! Next Christmas I will rule the block with outdoor speakers, huge ones, and giant woofers and a thousand pulsating Phillips lights. Nobody will even notice the neighbors with their unimaginative strings of lights and inflatable santas. I will need some suggestions for edgy and loud Xmas music...It is all about religion of course.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Lighting is one of the areas they are still going to focus on - no more TVs - but lighting is now a huge focus for the company

These would be useful at a party, I suppose. But I don't see myself using it in every-day-life. the flashing on and off looks kinda annoying.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
My whole apartment uses the bulbs - those kind of music sync apps are cool for when you want that, but most of the time I use Hue for automating when lights go on and off - adjusting the lights while I'm watching a movie or still in bed - there are even Mac menu bar apps so I can adjust the lights from my Mac.

It is an incredibly useful thing - and yes I'm also a happy Nest customer - the more apartment automation the better.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
UK
Can you AirPlay from your iPhone to AirPlay hifi from this app and do the lights/timing lag doing this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.