Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XPcentric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I opened Airport Utility, and I found an Airport Express, which has a name, and IP which is not mine, and a MAC address. I dont understand if that is my Airport card or is someone else's device ?

I stumbled upon this issue because I want to share my Ethernet connection using the built in WiFi, but the problem is another Windows 8 PC cant connect to my WiFi if I put a WEP password.

Nov 28, 2010
located
AirPort Utility is for managing the AirPort Express, the AirPort Extreme and the Time Capsule. If you have neither, you do not need it. If you see AirPort devices listed in there, then that is due to them being close by, but you need a password to manage them anyway.

As for sharing the Ethernet connection via WiFi, all you use is System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing and set it up. Maybe try a WPA or WPA 2 encryption, if Windows 8 cannot connect to a WEP protected wireless LAN, WEP is quite old anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.