Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Can anyone using net10, please share how fast or good are data speeds and if a cap exists please post it.

Currently, I had to let go of tmobile prepaid, because the service was so shady. Inside my home my signal would drop to SOS and 3G kept rolling back to edge in many occasions (city I live is fully refarmed).

In the meantime I'm using an H2O 30 day plan with 2GB data, but after 500MB, the data speed will get throttle to very low speeds.

Please, if you are using your iPhone on Net10 share your experience as far as data speeds, data caps. I'm aware net10 runs on AT&T towers so as far as reception I'll be ok piggy bagging on the big blue.

Thx in advance. :)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Just set up NET10 on a Verizon iPhone 5 and it works great. It can seem like a bear to get it all set up- especially if you use the net to discover the new zealand site for setting up data & MMS and try to do that (custom APN settings). We went through several hours of following those directions and resetting the phone to factory before almost giving up. Someone had just posted there that they got their iphone 5 set up per those instructions but we couldn't get ours to work (meaning, we had voice but could not get both data and MMS working as desired).

Then, we read a little bit further into the NET10 sim package instructions to discover that NET10 had their own APN solution. Yes, the old "read all directions" mandate should be followed. A couple of clicks later (at the NET10 site) and we have a fully functional iPhone 5 running on AT&Ts network (yes, an unlocked Verizon iPhone 5 running on AT&Ts network) for $45/month: unlimited everything. Call quality good, data seems fast, MMS works fine. Just follow the guidance of the info within the NET10 sim package.

A few notes: we had to cut down bigger sim cards to nano size. It was scary using scissors to cut through technology (cutting bits of metal off of the sim card itself) but it worked just fine. Go online and locate the template you can print and then follow the directions. It appears various people are selling pre-cut NET10 nano sims on craigslist and ebay for not much money. That might be a better option for some.

We set out to do the Straight Talk unlimited everything plan but then we noticed that NET10 has a family plan discount of $5 month on the second phone and ready availability of sims we could cut. If you set up monthly auto pay with Net10, that would be a $45 + $40 plan for 2 iPhones with unlimited everything. Hard to beat if you want iPhones.

"Unlimited" is asterisked and there is plenty of info online about the limits of unlimited on NET10 (and Straight Talk, which is apparently the same company behind the scenes). The general perception seems to be you're good to about 2GB of data before you'll be at risk of a warning or being cut off from the service all together. There is also many perceptions of throttling beyond some ambiguous levels of bandwidth burn but we just got it so we don't know about that first hand. Our use of the phone is modest (no streaming video or music if not on wifi) and thus we expect to never burn enough data to ever get a warning.

We also ported a land line number. The NET10 website said this could take up to 2 business days. The wife called on day 2 and customer service said it could take up to 30 days. However, late on day 2, the landline went dead and the number was indeed ported. Customer service reviews online are generally unflattering so go into this expecting to be your own customer service.

Certain features of the $100/month "big 3" are not available here: no visual voicemail and no LTE is what we've noticed so far. Neither is a big deal to us (and the speed of downloading web pages, etc seems plenty fast).

So, in summary, do you feel comfortable cutting sim cards down to size? If not, do you feel comfortable buying your sim card from "some guy" on craigslist or ebay? Either way, go to the NET10 site for the APN setting step and it will save you a few hours following the instructions of other sites. We're now on the AT&T network through NET10 so we have the same reach as anyone else on AT&T. We haven't tried talk & surf yet (as touted by AT&T) but we assume that will work since it's AT&T underneath.

Jump over the setup hurdles and you can end up with pretty full iPhone 5 functionality for $45/month unlimited everything (or 2 iPhones at $85/month). Compared to the $100+/month for a single phone on the big 3, we save the cost of the iPhone 5 over 1 year and pocket the other $660+ in year 2+. Over 2 phones, the savings is much greater.

We went into this with the confidence that we could always fall back to a full Verizon plan if necessary. That took some of the worry out of trying to make it work. Now that it does work, we're really happy to have a full iPhone 5 with a half-price cellular service. Now if we could only get the Republic Wireless plan set up on an iPhone; that would really be perfect for us. Maybe someday.

Last edited:

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Great write-up!
"Unlimited" is asterisked and there is plenty of info online about the limits of unlimited on net10 (and straight talk, which is apparently the same company behind the scenes). The general perception seems to be you're good to about 2GB of data before you'll be at risk of a warning or being cut off from the service all together. There is also many perceptions of throttling beyond some ambiguous levels of bandwidth burn but we just got it so we don't know about that first hand. Our use of the phone is modest (no streaming video or music if not on wifi) and thus we expect to never burn enough data to ever get a warning.

Net10 changed their data policy this month to a 1.5GB limit. More info at http://net10data.com.

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
I got the SMS too saying if you used the AT&T SIM card they have a 1.5 gb restriction.
Not if you used tmobile but nope I ran away from tmobile so can't go there again.
Does anyone know how to check your data usage on net10? I have data counter apps but they always have difference to what your carrier calculates.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
I tried activating with them last night, but they told me that for first time I would need a air time card. I didn't know this, so I have to stop at a nearby Walmart to purchase a 30 day net10 air time card in order to activate and port.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
finally was able to activate my services with net 10. I purchased first an airtime card at walmart ($50), then called their cust. service no. 855-333-2355 and they were able to take down all my information...the porting seem to have gone succesfull because I have service on the net10 SIM right now and my number ported over to them (I was able to open an account at their website)...

I'm having difficulty accessing the web now, I dont know if the APN settings are correct for my iphone 4S, I looked them up online, this is what I have.
APN: att.mvno
for MMS
APN: att.mvno
mmsc: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33:80 (for port 80)
and MMS size: 1048576

these seem to be the same exact settings I was previously using with straight talk, can anyone confirm these are the correct settings you may have on your iphones.

mckey

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2009
chestvrg I just activated my unlocked iPhone 5 last week on net10 AT&T, I didn't have the option to manually enter in the APN settings.I opened the safari browser on my phone and went to the url http://www.net10sim.com/ and you'll see the option DATA/APN SETTINGS > AT&T >IPHONE>INSTALL PROFILE

Not sure if it will work with the iPhone4...... I found the instructions confusing on the net10 webpage the settings only apply to their brand on iPhone.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Thank you Mckey, I was able to find the profile and the APN should read out: tfdata instead of the othe stuff I had out in. Working fine now.

I don't know if mms work though.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363093175.704584.jpg

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
chestvrg I just activated my unlocked iPhone 5 last week on net10 AT&T, I didn't have the option to manually enter in the APN ...

Do you happen to know if I have the correct MMS settings?? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363097256.493854.jpg

Kimberly16

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
Net10 iPhone stopped downloading data

My iphone5 worked great on Net10 for 3 weeks and then stopped downloading data. I have been on the phone with their reps and supervisors for HOURS! Nobody can fix the problem. So now 2 weekes later and a $50 service renew, I have an iphone that will call and text but cannot use 3g. I feel helpless. I am angry. I am completely unsatisfied with the customer service.

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
Well that's aggravating but shouldn't affect us (again, not heavy data users). Interesting it's only AT&T network "unlimited" that's limited to 1.5GB.

looks like AT&T policy has been rolled back, and unlimited data is now available on all carriers for Net10.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013/08/developing-net10-reportedly-eliminates.html

http://stopthecap.com/2013/08/12/tracfones-net10-brings-back-unlimited-data-on-atts-3g-network/

BTW, to the OP thanks for posting this thread, how have you enjoyed the net10 service? I am planning on moving a Verizon iPhone4S to net10 for this very reason ($45 vs $90) plan.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Wow that is good news. And I know you asked the OP but I can offer that NET10 usage (since the iPhone 5 came out) has been great. We're about to add another iPhone onto that plan so it will be $40/month for unlimited everything (they give a $5/month discount on a second phone). Net of $85/month for unlimited everything (on the AT&T network) for 2 iPhones.

Service has been good even in some pretty remote locations (we travel a lot).

----------

Do you happen to know if I have the correct MMS settings?? View attachment 401987

I think I recognize that you are trying to use the New Zealand solution for setting up your APN settings. We tried that for hours back when we set up for NET10 (see the earlier post in this thread). Then- after much frustration of just not quite getting everything working as expected, we read the rest of the instructions that came with the NET10 sims and noticed they had a link especially for iPhone setup. Use that instead. It might be this link (I can't remember) but check the paperwork that came with your NET10 sim cards: https://www.net10.com/direct/contro...Vhx6DFGLnmzKTJbGZNH9z!392022314!1378229658175

Last edited:

mofoliar

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Nevada
so is the Net10 on att the same as GOPHONE service, meaning getting hspa, coming from a verizon iphone 5 unlocked? if thats the case i will go that route cheaper/month

matt8200

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
Does anyone know if Personal Hotspot is enabled with Net10 without it being jailbroken? I use a jailbroken iPhone 5 with Net10 and would like to upgrade to iOS7 but don't want to do so if it will cause me to lose Personal Hotspot.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I would recommend anyone thinking of Net10, go with Straight Talk, $45 mainly because NET 10 has set a "hard limit" on data at 1.5GB - if you read their notes on the SIM package...after that your data is cut off....

Straight talk on the other hand has not mentioned any "Hard limit" on data usage and having been a user of ST for years (I switched around to GoPhone etc), I can safely say that ST allows you to minimum use 2-2.5GB data without any trouble and throttling data)

Its just a bigger bang for your buck I would say...and not to mention Straight Talk brand has enabled LTE under AT&T SIM's (now available again) - while Net10 has yet to do so...Yesterday someone I know activated Net10 and LTE wasn't available.

My top recommended AT&T MVNO/Prepaid options:
1) Straight Talk $45 (uncapped LTE speeds)
2) GoPhone AT&T $60 plan (uncapped LTE Speeds)

My top recommended T-Mobile MVNO/Prepaid Options:
1) GoSmart (5GB Data @ 3G/4G Speeds + Unlimited 2G/EDGE) - $45
2) Simple Mobile (1GB Data @ 3G/4G Speeds + Unlimited 2G/EDGE) - $40

matt8200

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
I would have gone with Straight Talk if I would have known this. I just switched to Net10. I didn't realize they started selling ATT sim cards again. Does Straight Talk support Visual Voicemail yet? And does Personal Hotspot work without being jailbroken?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Not sure if it was just a typo on your part but Straight Talk does have capped LTE speeds.

I'll be able to confirm this in a matter of days as I have ordered a Straight SIM so I can switch over from GoPhone Prepaid to it, will confirm but from doing some research on google, I have seen "uncapped" data speeds of 10-30mbps much like my GoPhone is getting....averaging 10-30Mbps (depending on area tested)

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I want to know more about Net10 as well, I think Net10 has similar service as Straighttalk though
Screw T-mobile!

Can you tell me more about this? I've been with them since last fall and had nothing but a positive experience with them.

All of the MVNOs limit/ throttle your data if your regularly go over 2GB of data a month. I'd rather pay the extra $20 month and get unlimited LTE data with T-Mobile!

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
I'll be able to confirm this in a matter of days as I have ordered a Straight SIM so I can switch over from GoPhone Prepaid to it, will confirm but from doing some research on google, I have seen "uncapped" data speeds of 10-30mbps much like my GoPhone is getting....averaging 10-30Mbps (depending on area tested)

Actually, never mind. I was having a brain fart :eek:

I was thinking of AIO wireless (another AT&T mvno), which caps their LTE speeds at 8mbps.

My bad. Carry on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.