Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Does using your pocket rather than the holster make the silicone stretch out faster?

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Holy f--- batman, if I start a new thread every day about otterbox's silicone, will it stretch out the forum?

Your off topic comments do make the threads longer.

I haven't had any problems yet with my Defender on my 5.

Otterbox has very good customer service. Give them a call.

Last edited:

norwegian wood

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Silicon stretch on the defender for 4 and 4s
Not the 5. My 5 held up well over all.

Now the armor series is just awesome. And don't start with the bulk. I love a good handful

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Silicon stretch on the defender for 4 and 4s
Not the 5. My 5 held up well over all.

Now the armor series is just awesome. And don't start with the bulk. I love a good handful

Thanks. Did you keep your defender in your pocket?

I tried the armor but found it overkill for my lifestyle. Not worth $100 when the defender does just fine for me.

Thanks for your input btw

norwegian wood

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Thanks. Did you keep your defender in your pocket?

I tried the armor but found it overkill for my lifestyle. Not worth $100 when the defender does just fine for me.

Thanks for your input btw

yeah i kept my iphone 5 with defender in my pocket often

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
I should of added that I've had my Defender since when the 5 was first available which would be early October. I take it apart to clean at least once a week and do not use the belt clip. So far it's fine. I prefer it over the Armor for how it feels in my hand and how it doesn't slide on surfaces. I returned the Armor and kept the Defender even though its not waterproof.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I just returned the otterbox and got a simple silicone case and a screen protector. And the guy used a wet wipe to clean my screen. I was like dude it's not sealed and he said we do this all the time.

tubalores

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
Do you keep your phone in your pocket or use the holster? And numerous time being more than 10? I've removed and installed it 3 times. But while it was off I reassembled it so I suppose you could say 6 times.

The holster is still sitting in the packaging...I never use it. I always carry my phone in my pocket. Very pleased also because this case is less of a lint magnet than the Defender for iPhone 4/4S. And I'd say I have uninstalled the case roughly 10 times (maybe more). Recently uninstalled/reinstalled the case to clean it and it's still strong!

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
I have the protector still installed on my black defender but it's out on the white one. I'm considering getting a Glas.t but 28 bucks is a lot for 1 screen protector. Guess I'll just use my discount on the anti-scratch ones from Verizon...

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
My wife's had one on her 5 since release day and the back isn't as tight on the plastic as it once was, but the sides aren't stretched at all.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I've had an Otterbox Defender on my 5S since getting the phone last November. The case is fine and I like the fact that it adds a bit of bulk to the phone and is a bit less slippery. I've accidentally dropped the phone in the case at least a half dozen times, and on hard surfaces, with no breakage.

The only part of the Defender I don't like is the screen protector. It scratches fairly easily, but under most circumstances these surface scratches are not noticeable. Got an iPhone for my wife, and she wanted a Defender case, too. She tosses the phone in her pocketbook where all manner of objects live, including sharp ones, and so far, no problems.

I took the case off the phone a few weeks ago...the 5s still looks brand new.

Kjclay

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
I had my defender for my i5 and after few months it was stretched out around all the corners. I was searching for a new case when I read something about otter having warranties up to a year after purchase. I went to their site followed the instructions uploaded the two pics and got a new case no questions asked. I believe I may have caused mine to stretch bc I cleaned it a lot with alcohol wipes bc not only did it stretch out the color faded and the case felt completely different. So I wouldn't advise cleaning them with alcohol lol but otterbox was awesome and I am a happy customer!

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
My only gripe is if you don't take the phone out at least once a week you get a fair bit of dust in.

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
the silicone on these things stretch rediculously. I am very unhappy with my Otter products. Esp for the price.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
If its stretching, then contact Otterbox for a replacement.

If the stretching is very noticeable, you may have a knock off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.