Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Hey, does anybody here have an advice for beginner jazz guitarist learning trumpet? My teachers and the good jazz guitarists I know all play at least a trumpet, sax, or flute. It's probably not a bad idea to understand a lead instrument to help be a backup comp instrument like drums, guitar, or bass.

What's a good student trumpet?

These horns cost so much more than guitars so I don't expect to pay many times of what I do for guitar (my jazz guitar is just a $400 street price Ibanez), so is there anything under $1,000 for a trumpet? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I also looked at sax but those things are way out of my league.

Thanks in advance. Below is similar four hundred dollar trumpet to what I want and is a student model. Many student models are far more expensive, even from same maker, but this territory is what I am thinking. Is it a waste of time and too cheap?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bras...-selmer-tr711-student-bb-trumpet?src=3WWRWXGP

...or is something like this, $1,100 dollars, the very least I should consider in a student trumpet?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/brass-instruments/yamaha-ytr-2330-standard-bb-trumpet

Where are you from? Are you still in high school? Try to get the best you're willing to pay for, but realize you may always be able to sell it and get a better one if needed later on. That Conn may be alright for just wanting to learn and play around on.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Where are you from? Are you still in high school? Try to get the best you're willing to pay for, but realize you may always be able to sell it and get a better one if needed later on. That Conn may be alright for just wanting to learn and play around on.

I am older, however, the high school kids where I am from (a rich area) do have the very expensive ones, even if they never plan to play more than a year. ;)

Remember also that these often private school kids get a lot of things handed to them on a silver platter but I assume that's the case anywhere. For me though it's about learning but doing so on budget.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I am older, however, the high school kids where I am from (a rich area) do have the very expensive ones, even if they never plan to play more than a year. ;)

Remember also that these often private school kids get a lot of things handed to them on a silver platter but I assume that's the case anywhere. For me though it's about learning but doing so on budget.

Have you talked to the band director and see what they recommend?

Personally, I'd go with the lesser expensive one. Conn's a pretty decent brand. It may not sound as great as a professional model, but your tone won't be great either, especially for a few years. Later on, if you need something better, get that. If not, pop it on eBay or something.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Have you talked to the band director and see what they recommend?

Personally, I'd go with the lesser expensive one. Conn's a pretty decent brand. It may not sound as great as a professional model, but your tone won't be great either, especially for a few years. Later on, if you need something better, get that. If not, pop it on eBay or something.

That's probably what I will do.

With guitar, I started with a no-name electric and no-name acoustic and as I got better I moved up to a much nicer set of guitars (Fender and vintage Martin). But as I advanced further than that I was able to sound as good on almost anything including most relatively cheap stuff. I am hoping that can be the case for trumpet, too. Guitar is probably different than most instruments since over about $250 or $300 dollars if you sound great due to a lot of practice and talent, you will sound as amazing on those and really no better on a $3,000 dollar guitar.

switchstance

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
(left) PRS Modern Eagle Quatro (artist package)
(right) PRS Custom 22
PRS.jpg

(left) Gibson Les Paul Standard
(right) Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson.jpg

(left) Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
(right) Fender American Select Strat
Fender.jpg

(left) Music Man Ernie Ball Sting Ray
(right) Fender American Tele (60th anniversary)
Music%20Man.jpg

Taylor 414CE
Taylor.jpg

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm surprised no one has posted just their computer yet. I used to mess around with Fruity Loops making remixes/covers of songs. Never used real instruments since I didn't have any real equipment.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
(right) PRS Custom 22

I love PRS guitars I have a old SE Standard its showing its age and the pickups are worn out but still 1 of the best guitars I have played.

If I had the money to spend I would get a 305 and a Custom 22

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal

PRS Custom 22

(left) Gibson Les Paul Standard
(right) Gibson Les Paul Traditional

(left) Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
(right) Fender American Select Strat

(left) Music Man Ernie Ball Sting Ray
(right) Fender American Tele (60th anniversary)

Taylor 414CE

That is an amazing collection!

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I hope I am GASed out haha

I had a stage from the early 80s to mid 90s where I bought and sold 60 instruments from a 1947 Martin to 1965 Telecaster to a 50s Dano and everything in between. I prefer the all wood acoustics but that didn't stop me from getting a first run Ovation nylon string. I love Ibanez but that meant I also had to get Arias and Yamahas, too. I didn't play bass that much but a Fender P-bass special was there to play and I had to get some vintage Zildjians for drum set I bought for wife who didn't play anymore. Where college takes four or five years, I took twelve because this hobby was basically an addiction. Not only did I go to vintage stores at first checking out guitars of the same makes as the Beatles, I would drive hundred of miles to a store that actually had John's and George's instruments back when they hung out in LA with sometimes Paul and Ringo. This hobby of GAS has no end and once you meet your first rock star or you buy one of their instruments or they buy one of yours, then it's an addiction that will chase away all your friends and family. ;)

At some point after that I bought a cheap but suitable pair of electrics ($500 dollar Ibanez and LTD) and decided to actually become a player (reading, playing styles outside of my ability/interest, etc) and I was only able to do that by letting GAS go.

Every now and then I think about getting a really cool pre-CBS and with http://www.rumbleseatmusic.com a few blocks away from me, it can be hard to say no. There's Eric Clapton's Gibson guitar and several 1958-60 Les Paul bursts, and a left handed Korina V from 1958 and they beg you to play the stuff when you walk in. They told the press they will pull down Eric's guitar for an eight year old learning how to play. I simply say no when tempted there. I did fool with a $50,000 dollar Les Paul black beauty and seeing that the neck of virtually any new Epi Les Paul was better, and refretting can never be an option on those all original museum pieces, I realized that I will stay with playing and never revisit the collecting. There are several art galleries nearby too which have Peter Max or Blue Dog stuff adorning the walls so a vintage store like this is more like one of those. I will let somebody who doesn't paint buy a $300,000 dollar Blue Dog entry way painting or somebody who doesn't play buy a $300,000 dollar burst and I will stick to playing. When I first walked into the store I saw quite a few pieces worth anywhere between a nice car to a good down payment on house and they had a couple of cheap guitars out for the musicians to play who wouldn't touch the rock star stuff, you know, a $8,000 dollar PRS Dragon and one of a kind PRS McCarty hollowbody with built in piezo and motherboard. :)

Last edited:

switchstance

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I had a stage from the early 80s to mid 90s where I bought and sold 60 instruments from a 1947 Martin to 1965 Telecaster to a 50s Dano and everything in between. I prefer the all wood acoustics but that didn't stop me from getting a first run Ovation nylon string. I love Ibanez but that meant I also had to get Arias and Yamahas, too. I didn't play bass that much but a Fender P-bass special was there to play and I had to get some vintage Zildjians for drum set I bought for wife who didn't play anymore. Where college takes four or five years, I took twelve because this hobby was basically an addiction. Not only did I go to vintage stores at first checking out guitars of the same makes as the Beatles, I would drive hundred of miles to a store that actually had John's and George's instruments back when they hung out in LA with sometimes Paul and Ringo. This hobby of GAS has no end and once you meet your first rock star or you buy one of their instruments or they buy one of yours, then it's an addiction that will chase away all your friends and family. ;)

At some point after that I bought a cheap but suitable pair of electrics ($500 dollar Ibanez and LTD) and decided to actually become a player (reading, playing styles outside of my ability/interest, etc) and I was only able to do that by letting GAS go.

Every now and then I think about getting a really cool pre-CBS and with http://www.rumbleseatmusic.com a few blocks away from me, it can be hard to say no. There's Eric Clapton's Gibson guitar and several 1958-60 Les Paul bursts, and a left handed Korina V from 1958 and they beg you to play the stuff when you walk in. They told the press they will pull down Eric's guitar for an eight year old learning how to play. I simply say no when tempted there. I did fool with a $50,000 dollar Les Paul black beauty and seeing that the neck of virtually any new Epi Les Paul was better, and refretting can never be an option on those all original museum pieces, I realized that I will stay with playing and never revisit the collecting. There are several art galleries nearby too which have Peter Max or Blue Dog stuff adorning the walls so a vintage store like this is more like one of those. I will let somebody who doesn't paint buy a $300,000 dollar Blue Dog entry way painting or somebody who doesn't play buy a $300,000 dollar burst and I will stick to playing. When I first walked into the store I saw quite a few pieces worth anywhere between a nice car to a good down payment on house and they had a couple of cheap guitars out for the musicians to play who wouldn't touch the rock star stuff, you know, a $8,000 dollar PRS Dragon and one of a kind PRS McCarty hollowbody with built in piezo and motherboard. :)
Quite the story, its interesting to hear stories like these, for me at least it re-assures me that I am actually done with buying guitars. I have all the ones I need, I am very happy with my collection and thats it .. I would never spend 50K on a furniture guitar.

Besides I have no more rack slots for another guitar, nor do I have any more room for cases ... my townhouse is 1000sq.f

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Quite the story, its interesting to hear stories like these, for me at least it re-assures me that I am actually done with buying guitars. I have all the ones I need, I am very happy with my collection and thats it .. I would never spend 50K on a furniture guitar.

Besides I have no more rack slots for another guitar, nor do I have any more room for cases ... my townhouse is 1000sq.f

For 1000 sq. feet you can do this and it works well for Steve Vai! For sleeping, there's the sleeping bag. For eating, well Los Angeles has a lot of fast food places. And for the bathroom, just go on the street like everybody else in the city. But if you want to reach them more quickly, Scott Grove has a groovy room.

Attachments

• Handler.jpg
    Handler.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio

And the cat says, "I'ma Chargin' Mah Lazer..." :D

Thought i'd share my keyboard (Korg Krome) (or in short Korgy as is name :p).. i've been using it for 3 months now and holy crap this machine is a beast :3..

Hey, do you use any DAWs on that Mac with your Korg? If so, how well does it work with the Korg? I've been shopping around for OS X DAWs because I find having to reboot into Windows XP on my Mac for Cakewalk rather inconvenient.

kap09

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Recent shot of my Les Paul. I'll have to post the rest of my gear when I'm on the computer...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387295298.650517.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387295298.650517.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 135

leitmotif

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
I love PRS guitars! I can't wait to see their booth at NAMM this year. I don't even play guitar!!

This one was $22,000
24692_429710804637_187817_n.jpg

These aren't mine but a pic I snapped at NAMM 2009
1374911_10152242768119638_1796944646_n.jpg

The rest of my pics are boring stuff from work like EAW speakers and Martin Audio line arrays and whatnot. But I don't own them.

My drums in 2001
60330_494339264637_4676913_n.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.