Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has updated its Gmail experience when using mobile browsers like Safari. The company is aiming to replicate the experience users have using the Gmail for iOS app, updated back in December.

NewImage2.png
Since launching the rebooted Gmail app for iPhone and iPad in December (http://goo.gl/2m7pd), we've heard from many of you that you like the redesigned UI, along with new features such as improved search and integration with Google Calendar. Today we're rolling out a similar refreshed look to the Gmail mobile web app as well as Gmail Offline (http://goo.gl/0f1ae) that includes many of these same changes. Try it out at gmail.com in the browser of your Android, iOS, Blackberry or Kindle Fire device

Article Link: Google Brings Gmail iOS App Interface to Its Mobile Web App

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Funny how even Google themselves seem to prefer the design language they have on iOS over Android's.

They literally said they did with the new Google Maps, and now this.

I wouldn't be surprised if Android started looking like this. It'd be a great improvement IMO, and it's not really a copy of Apple's UI either.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Now update Google Play site so I could listen to my uploaded music through iOS or make a app already for it.:confused:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Doesn't look like it's live for Google Apps users.

Do a lot of folks actually use the web app on mobile for Gmail as opposed through the stock mail app or any of the 3rd party Gmail compatible apps?

Last edited:

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Their IOS app is garbage. This is somewhat due to the inability to make it a native app but it's just too damn slow. Having to refresh every time i open it.

They took away the ability of push mail form the Apple IOS mail app which pushes users who want/need this feature to use the pathetic gmail app or switch to Android. I expect they see the latter being the eventual direction for these users.

Really annoys me that google and apple are in this stupid battle to push customers around which affects our experience in a bad way. How about they keep their petty playground stuff to themselves?

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
Funny how even Google themselves seem to prefer the design language they have on iOS over Android's.

I wouldn't be surprised if Android started looking like this. It'd be a great improvement IMO, and it's not really a copy of Apple's UI either.

I agree. I guess this is the advantage of designing something from ground up.

Now if only Apple would do that with some of their apps. Hopefully Jonny's new role will help with this.

lightning inc.

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
How about google will update its own music web app for the iPhone 5?

I hate when google doesn't update simple stuff.

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
How about google will update its own music web app for the iPhone 5?

I hate when google doesn't update simple stuff.

Big companies always forget to update the simple stuff. Just look at the Mac Pro! :mad:

It still surprises me that Google still try and add value to their competitors products for free!

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Their IOS app is garbage. This is somewhat due to the inability to make it a native app but it's just too damn slow. Having to refresh every time i open it.

They took away the ability of push mail form the Apple IOS mail app which pushes users who want/need this feature to use the pathetic gmail app or switch to Android. I expect they see the latter being the eventual direction for these users.

Really annoys me that google and apple are in this stupid battle to push customers around which affects our experience in a bad way. How about they keep their petty playground stuff to themselves?

I really don't think push was removed to push users to Android (pun intended). The iOS app is a Web View app, which is a generic container for a web page, which Facebook previously also did. So was Facebook in a battle with Apple back then?

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I really don't think push was removed to push users to Android (pun intended). The iOS app is a Web View app, which is a generic container for a web page, which Facebook previously also did. So was Facebook in a battle with Apple back then?

Way to miss the point. They took off that feature when it wasn't necessary. People now who need this feature need to make a switch in some way.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

It's not a Apple/Google battle so much it is a platform battle. All companies these days want to try and lock you, as best they can, into their ecosystem. Amazon wants it. Apple wants it. Google wants. Microsoft wants it. Not saying we have to like it, but its the way the industry as a whole is moving.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Mailbox App > Gmail App

I personally prefer Mailbox but I still don't know why everyone is hating the Gmail app. I thought it was great. I got rid of it only because it kept showing me unread badges even though I already viewed the email.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
They took away the ability of push mail form the Apple IOS mail app which pushes users who want/need this feature to use the pathetic gmail app or switch to Android.

or put their fetch settings to 15/30 minutes. Many of us don't feel the need to see our new email the moment it is sent and such 'slow' times are fine with us.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
or put their fetch settings to 15/30 minutes. Many of us don't feel the need to see our new email the moment it is sent and such 'slow' times are fine with us.

You did a survey did you? People had this feature and now they don't. Not sure why people would defend them for taking away something that just did not need to go, other than it being a way to get people to switch.

----------

It's not a Apple/Google battle so much it is a platform battle. All companies these days want to try and lock you, as best they can, into their ecosystem. Amazon wants it. Apple wants it. Google wants. Microsoft wants it. Not saying we have to like it, but its the way the industry as a whole is moving.

If it's a platform battle, it's between IOS and Android. ie, apple v google. Hence, my point. Not sure what your point is.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
I personally prefer Mailbox but I still don't know why everyone is hating the Gmail app. I thought it was great. I got rid of it only because it kept showing me unread badges even though I already viewed the email.

I'm not hating the Gmail app, just loving the Mailbox app. Mailbox still has bugs that are annoying, but it's so good I had to delete Gmail and use that as my main.

Asked @mailboxapp via twitter and they said new update coming soon.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

Google Maps for iOS is a usability nightmare. It looks cool but it's a real PITA.

I think Google uses iOS as a testing ground for new design ideas to see how well they catch on before bringing them to Android. If they think this design is good they'll probably bring it to Key Lime Pie. I just hope they don't make Maps on Android anything like it is on iOS, or if they do, I hope they fix it first.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
You did a survey did you? People had this feature and now they don't. Not sure why people would defend them for taking away something that just did not need to go, other than it being a way to get people to switch.

Google might have taken it away in an attempt to get folks to switch but my point is that push email isn't really that huge of a deal for most folks as they can set Fetch and be just fine. Hell they might be better off since Push can screw with your battery life pinging the servers all the dang time.

if it's a big deal for you then switch but dont assume that what is a big deal for you is for everyone.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Way to miss the point. They took off that feature when it wasn't necessary. People now who need this feature need to make a switch in some way.

I thought people who already used Exchange for Gmail were fine and it was only new devices that wouldn't get the feature? I'm still using push Gmail fine on my iPhone.

I agree it's a dick move by Google but there's no need to lie.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Google might have taken it away in an attempt to get folks to switch but my point is that push email isn't really that huge of a deal for most folks as they can set Fetch and be just fine. Hell they might be better off since Push can screw with your battery life pinging the servers all the dang time.

if it's a big deal for you then switch but dont assume that what is a big deal for you is for everyone.

Yes, switch, that's my option. Because google couldn't leave it as it was. They are pushing around their users so that they get an advantage over rivals. I understand wanting the edge, but abusing current users should not be the way to do it.

----------

I thought people who already used Exchange for Gmail were fine and it was only new devices that wouldn't get the feature? I'm still using push Gmail fine on my iPhone.

I agree it's a dick move by Google but there's no need to lie.

I didn't lie. If you restore your device, you'll have to reset up gmail and won't be able to use the exchange option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.