Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
As I noted earlier, WiFi is adversely affected. My data transfer speed was reduced by a factor of 100 or killed altogether...

sportster

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
Well crap...

I'm so on the fence with it, now leaning more towards just skipping it. I really like the package, has everything I'm looking for in one unit. DVD drive, SD reader (front facing), external HD.

What gets me is, people on that blog page clearly state they do not have issues with other usb 3 devices. It's only when the ministack max is powered on.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I am unsure why people seem to like slot load drives. They have a higher failure rate and also tend to be slower than their tray load counterparts. I would love to have a tray load that was the same footprint (though it will be taller) as the Mini and then in addition something like the Mini-Stack.

As for Thunderbolt - its a very expensive proposition between any Tbolt unit plus cable. USB3 is superior to FW800 and in that, it meets the needs of the majority of people (though I do love faster is better).

I have older Mini Stacks and they work as claimed. I have had zero problems and have since graduated them on to a friend of mine who finds them efficient and easy on the eyes.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
What gets me is, people on that blog page clearly state they do not have issues with other usb 3 devices. It's only when the ministack max is powered on.

Other USB 3.0 devices do cause problems; a quick Startpage search will turn up lots of reports online about USB 3.0 interference...

I agree with the previous post about slot-loading optical drives: If anything is likely to fail prematurely, it's a slot-loading drive. Apple's so-called "Super Drive" is a cheaply-built mostly plastic device in a typical purty Apple package.

I'm glad that optical drives are going the way of the Dodo bird. But if you must have one I recommend a $30 Samsung USB slot-loading drive (Newegg) or $40 LG tray-loading drive (Best Buy). When it breaks (and it will, probably sooner than later...) you can just throw it away and buy a new drive. Replacing an optical drive in a Mac or Mini Stack will cost more money and require dismantling the computer/enclosure; in some cases the repair is so complex that it is beyond most people.

itsthamessenger

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
Detroit, MI
its not a bad piece, would help if it had thunderbolt. would help if we all had thunderbolt displays lol too. i think if u arent really stacki ng your mac on it it may work. i agree with the other poster on buying your own drive though.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Can someone test if this can rip Blu-Ray discs using MakeMKV on a Mac? NewerTechs pages say that it only works in Windows, but it is unclear if it only refers to Blu-Ray playback, which currently doesn't work in Mac OS X of course.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Can someone test if this can rip Blu-Ray discs using MakeMKV on a Mac? NewerTechs pages say that it only works in Windows, but it is unclear if it only refers to Blu-Ray playback, which currently doesn't work in Mac OS X of course.

I use one of OWC's tray loading BRD to rip Blu-ray disks.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Has ANY of these docks been released yet? I keep seeing announcements of massively overpriced docks but I don't recall ever seeing one actually for sale (save the one built into Apple's monitor which STILL hasn't been updated to USB3 even).

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Thunderbolt dock

Has ANY of these docks been released yet? I keep seeing announcements of massively overpriced docks but I don't recall ever seeing one actually for sale (save the one built into Apple's monitor which STILL hasn't been updated to USB3 even).

The Australian distributor for Sonnet hopes to be able to tell me next week when the TB dock will be released here and for how much (waiting for a shock). The Sonnet online store is taking orders but is only available to North American residents.

Still no sign of the Sunix dock, 8 months after it was announced.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia

Attachments

• sonnet_TB.jpg
    sonnet_TB.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 69

helkav

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
possibly a stupid question...

...bear with me - power is not my forte.

looking at the specs for the newertech ministacks it looks like the power may not be dual voltage - i.e. compatible with UK power supply

has anyone in the UK bought one and could you possibly advise me on this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.