Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As for anti-virus, I have switched to ClamXav and Bitdefender Virus Scanner.
You should never have more than one antivirus app installed, as they can conflict with each other and produce false positives. I recommend you keep ClamXAV and remove Bitdefender.

AisEv

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
You should never have more than one antivirus app installed, as they can conflict with each other and produce false positives. I recommend you keep ClamXAV and remove Bitdefender.

Thanks for the advice. Will remove Bitdefender eventually. Actually, I just installed ClamXav a few days ago. Basically to check if it affects anything. ClamXav is the only one dat fish out some PDF exploit. No biggie it doesn't affect the Mac system. Only one PDF file and it's from Apple. Anyhow, delete it already.

MacTravler

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
CA
Please read Wired article ...

Before anyone says it is not needed. I do a lot of interactions with other people who have Window's computer. I really don't want to send files or emails to them and infect them. Plus, I do want piece of mind, especially that there are more virus attacks lately on the Mac then there ever has been. But that is another discussion.

Here is what I need from and A/V.

1. Very light, like it is not there. I don't want it to bog down Firefox, Chrome, the computer itself etc.
2. I use Outlook 2011 mail, so I need mail that comes in be able to be scanned for Virus right away.
3. I would like to be protected will I am surfing on the web and installing programs, etc.

Here are some of the choices. All of these seemed to be updated for Mountain Lion.

I purchased last year VirusBarrier X6, and I believe it has slowed down the Mac a good amount. Even though I already paid for it, I am looking at other options , paid or free.

1.ClamXav (free)
2. avast! Free Antivirus for Mac (free)
3 Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition (free)
4. Intego VirusBarrier X6 (paid)
5. Kaspersky for Mac
6. Any other that I missed?

I am looking for some advice. I really don't want to install everyone of these until I find one that works.

Please let me know what you think?
Please read the WIRED article on Mr Kaspersky's continued tie in with the Russian Government and his ongoing link with the KGB before even considering his product...

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Tried installing ClamXav and it said disk image error. Oh well.
Any thoughts on NOD32?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.