Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Lack of specifics (size, type - plasma, lcd, budget) in your post means I'll just take a stab.

You cannot go wrong with Samsung

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
We have a 32" Magnavox in the living room. I think it was less than $500? (we can't afford a $1,000 one anyway :rolleyes:) We've had it for about 7 years now. Picture looks great.

I have a 16" Vizio in my room. $140 for that one. Nice picture, horrible viewing angles.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I've always liked our Samsung TVs. But really, they're all pretty good. Just see what features you want and how much you want to pay. We could've gotten more features and saved money if we went with a Vizio - they are pretty decent these days.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Sony is always very good but they cost a fortune.

Currently I have a Samsung and I find it hard to fault it. Considering how little I paid for it and what I got for the money I think it's brilliant.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Samsung have pretty much cornered the TV market because they're one of very few companies that actually make their own panels, and they make them in sizeable bulk because component manufacture is a massive part of Samsung's overall business. If you make all the main components for your consumer products it stands to reason you can deliver a quality product with fewer costs, since no third party is making an extra profit from selling you the LCD panels and other stuff, so they can sell the same quality of product for less money compared to most other TV manufacturers and still turn a profit, something competing TV makers are having a hard time doing these days.

I do think Sony TVs are awesome if only for their smart TV functionality. IMHO Sony's TV software is superior to Samsung's. But to a degree with the extra cost of a Sony? Especially considering you can just plug a cheap box into a dumb TV anyway? Not really if I'm honest.

I think we can all pretty much agree you can't go wrong with a Samsung.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Samsung have pretty much cornered the TV market
I do think Sony TVs are awesome
Back in the day, American TV makers had the best TVs (at least for us in the US). What happened?? Japanese electronic companies were able to make the same if not better quality TVs for less.

Right now, Samsung is able to do the same thing. Japanese electronic companies are struggling because their TVs are just too expensive, where as Samsung provides a great TV for less.

I love Sony TVs but I'm getting more TV for less with my Samsung.

jumpmandds

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Ohio
I used to buy Sonys all the time but a after buying my new Samsung smart led I don't think I will buy another brand they are the kings in that department to me

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Back in the day, American TV makers had the best TVs (at least for us in the US). What happened?? Japanese electronic companies were able to make the same if not better quality TVs for less.

Right now, Samsung is able to do the same thing. Japanese electronic companies are struggling because their TVs are just too expensive, where as Samsung provides a great TV for less.

I love Sony TVs but I'm getting more TV for less with my Samsung.

It's all in production. As I explained, Samsung is one of very few companies in the TV market that actually makes its own panels, that alone gives them a massive edge.

Sony is struggling in general right now, a sad sight considering they used to be the king of the electronics market, but that's just how the market works: things change. Samsung is the next big player right now and in a decade or two it'll probably be someone else.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I agree completely, but Sony's plight is mirroring those of the American TV maker. The difference between American TV makers of the past and Sony, is that Sony is more of conglomerate producing more then TVs. I hope they and the other Japanese electronic companies turn things around.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Samsung is where it's at. I'm beginning to warm up to Vizio though, partly because it's an American company, and I've heard good stuff about the TVs, even though my initial perception was that it was a Wal-Mart brand.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Since no budget is mentioned I highly recommend this:

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Sony is always very good but they cost a fortune.

Currently I have a Samsung and I find it hard to fault it. Considering how little I paid for it and what I got for the money I think it's brilliant.

Sony Bravia 3D, but as posted, they cost...Unless you get a bargain...I have a new Toshiba in the bedroom...BOth are LCD's..Nothing wrong with the Toshiba, and it won't break the bank. The Sony is 3D, but I did get a good deal..List at the time of purchase was<£1K:eek: I wouldn't have paid that much but got a deal...It really pays to shop around with TV's..Narrow it down to a couple you have seen in the store and like, then shop around..Prices vary wildly.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Sony Bravia 3D, but as posted, they cost...Unless you get a bargain...I have a new Toshiba in the bedroom...BOth are LCD's..Nothing wrong with the Toshiba, and it won't break the bank. The Sony is 3D, but I did get a good deal..List at the time of purchase was<£1K:eek: I wouldn't have paid that much but got a deal...It really pays to shop around with TV's..Narrow it down to a couple you have seen in the store and like, then shop around..Prices vary wildly.

Always buy your TVs from John Lewis! If you can find another store that sells the same model for less they will match that price and they give you a five year warranty on all TVs! So shop around, find a lower price, show it to John Lewis, and enjoy :D

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
That is quite some neat TV, though it requires 5.3 kW of power and while it claims to be a High Resolution Retina display with 725,000 LEDs, the actual resolution seems nowhere to be found.

The resolution will work out less than 720p HD! 1080p HD is over 2 million pixels and 720p is over 920,000. I guess it is waterproof but it already seems a bit dated especially for the asking price!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.