Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

fleksy.jpg
Syntellia, the company behind popular alternative keyboard app Fleksy, is developing software that will allow the app to work with the upcoming Leap Motion Controller. Syntellia is demoing the Fleksy and Leap Motion combo at SXSW this week.

Fleksy is a text-input system that implements advanced predictive text algorithms to allow users to type without looking at the screen of the iPhone or the iPad. Though it offers a traditional tap typing interface, it also supports simple gestures for space and delete.

In combination with the touch-free Leap Motion, Fleksy offers gesture-based typing that can be done in the air. Air typing with Fleksy functions much like the iOS app, with error correction on the fly.

Syntellia is also debuting an iOS SDK, allowing third party apps to use the Fleksy keyboard, as explained by TechCrunch.
It offers developers to use Fleky's signature foolproof typing engine, as well as customization options around theme, layout and more. Devs can even use the "invisible" Fleksy keyboard if they want to get all the chrome out of the way while still allowing for text entry. Interested developers can email Fleksy direct for more info.
Fleksy's iOS SDK will be available this week. The Leap Motion Controller is set to ship in May and is currently available for pre-order for $79.99. The Fleksy iOS app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Fleksy Demos Leap Motion Integration at SXSW, Releases New iOS SDK

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Why would they use a video where he didn't even get one word correct without autocorrect? Also, people are normally able to type three words in about a second, not 6 seconds.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Interesting concept, but the video doesn't sell it well - not to me.
I mean, I get it. They're trying to demo autocorrect, but the typing was slow and the message/persentation wasn't impactful.
Given the "intensity" of the opening sequence and soundtrack, I was expecting more than three autocorrected words that spelled out a marketing cliche'.

That said, there are some great possibilities here.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
I had the misfortune of weathering SXSW when I lived in Austin. It was all about ****** bands, tobacco, and ethanol abuse. WTF is iOS tech doing there??

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've had this on pre-order since End of July last year..... I was starting to think vapor ware until I got notification of expected shipping date if May 15th...

Only benefit pre-ordering so long ago is I got it cheaper than current price and international shipping has increased in cost too.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I had the misfortune of weathering SXSW when I lived in Austin. It was all about ****** bands, tobacco, and ethanol abuse. WTF is iOS tech doing there??

It isn't just a music festival anymore. It has involved technology for years.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Out of curiosity, what sucks about it?

You can't use it for anything outside of the app environment for starters, making it useless even if it were a good concept.

Secondly, it doesn't work as "magically" as promised. Even after giving it some time, it still was significantly slower than the normal keyboard.

Much of the problem, in my opinion, lies in the way you have to swipe for a space, instead of simply tapping the space bar. It takes waaay too long, especially since it is the most typed symbol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.