Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I was without a iPhone for the past year (someone stole my 3GS) and I had been on a Android phone until i got my iPhone 5 two weeks ago.

If it means getting away from ******* Android and getting a iPhone 5 NOW then I would suggest that you jump on it!

Like I said, had the iPhone 3GS for 3 years and it was awesome but....The iPhone 5 just completely blasts it out of the water performance wise and I honestly cannot see APPLE making that much more of an improvement to what is already established with the existing iPhone 5 model.

You can stand in line if you want but look at the iPhone 4 HOOPLA after the 3GS and that will tell you that the enhancement from the iPhone 5 vs the iPhone 5S will be just as insignificant as going from a 3GS to a iPhone 4 was;)

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
I'm due an upgrade at the moment. I currently have a Samsung S3 and as I've now gone all Apple throughout the house, it's logical that I go for an iPhone in my opinion.....plus I'm fed up with the unreliability of Android devices, they are good....but I'm fed up with constant tweaks and then resetting things because of buggy software....I want something that just works!

My question is whether in peoples opinion, should I wait for the next iPhone to come out?

Some rumour the next iPhone is going to be out in June...which is ideal as I have 2 contracts in the house that I get the upgrades from...both 2 year contracts and end in different years....my other contract ends in June next year, the current one just ended....that means if I wait until June, going forward, I upgrade every 12 months. However, I don't want to wait until August/September onwards for another phone........this is my problem...plus I'm impatient!

Thanks in advance...

Wait for the 5S to at least see what the improvements will be.

Statelymwhite

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2011
I've been upgrade-eligible since before the iPhone5 launch, but I'm currently holding on to my 4. Beyond all else, I want a bigger screen. The bigger iPhone5 screen is nice, but not big enough. I can't say Samsung's monster 5" is the ideal size, but I'll take it over the smaller iPhone screen.

I rarely make calls anymore. Most of my smartphone usage involves looking at the screen. I'd like some more space.

I can hold out a few more months, but if the iPhone 5S (or whatever the next Apple phone is called) is still the same size as the 5, I think I'll be moving to something else.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I just went through this, but like you decided to get the iphone 5 now. I thought about it like this; Might as start my contract over now so that by the time the iphone 6 is released (possibly redsigned) I'll be eligable to upgrade again. The 5s will be just a spec bump within the same design like always. I've never regreted missing the 's' versions.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I enjoy being on the "S" cycle - it seems to clean out many of the bugs and produce an overall better product. Hoping 5S is a more polished 5 with some added benefits.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
I was in the same boat as you, I had the GS3, and decided to sell it while the value was still high on it. Got the iP5 64GB this weekend and am very happy, although getting used to a much smaller screen is tough.

As for the iP5S this summer, well if its really something I gotta have I will sell my iP5 before the iP5S releases and just roll with my dumb phone for a couple of weeks and pre-order with the crowds. I have upgrades available this year on a couple lines so I will be ok. I should clear enough to cover my new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.