Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
As the title says...For all who are using the 13"rMBP, how do you find the screen? My choice is a totally maxed out 13" or a mid range 15" I do a lot of music work, some photo and vodeo editing also. Is the retina 13" enough to compensate for the lack of real-estate or should I go with the 15"?

Last edited:

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I think the bigger question is – “13" rMBP Is That GPU Enough”?

Obviously the answer will differ on a case by case basis, but if you are doing video editing, the 15" may be the better option.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I think the bigger question is – “13" rMBP Is That GPU Enough”?

Obviously the answer will differ on a case by case basis, but if you are doing video editing, the 15" may be the better option.

Good point. I may wait until I can afford a maxed out 15" Already have a 13" MBA which is fine for surfing, WP etc. I even do a little light stuff in Aperture with it, it's the 2011 "Ultimate" so has the I7 in it....Wouldn't really want to do anything else on that size screen though...I'm just curious to know if the retina aspect makes that much of a difference.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
It is enough. I'm using one for a few months for professional web design and the macbook is completely capable to do anything I want. The resolution is great, the fonts are incredibly smooth to a degree where you don't feel that 1280x800 is low at all. Screen estate meant so much to me before but it's a different feeling altogether on a retina display.

Speed is great as well and I even have the first 13" rMBP. In the beginning I was very picky, visiting apple stores almost on a daily basis, comparing rMBP and cMBP side by side, noticing even the tiniest fps differences (which were fine, btw).

Scaled resolutions are also great, scaled 1440 HiDPI is far better than native 1440 and the speed difference is unnoticable, if it is even existent.

In the end none of that matters at all. Once the mac was a few weeks old I stopped thinking about all these little and worthless things and after an initial "Omg it's so pixelated" when I got my iPad Mini, I start to believe that all these Retina resolutions don't matter in general.

I could've just gotten a MBA and be just as happy.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
It is enough. I'm using one for a few months for professional web design and the macbook is completely capable to do anything I want. The resolution is great, the fonts are incredibly smooth to a degree where you don't feel that 1280x800 is low at all. Screen estate meant so much to me before but it's a different feeling altogether on a retina display.

Speed is great as well and I even have the first 13" rMBP. In the beginning I was very picky, visiting apple stores almost on a daily basis, comparing rMBP and cMBP side by side, noticing even the tiniest fps differences (which were fine, btw).

Scaled resolutions are also great, scaled 1440 HiDPI is far better than native 1440 and the speed difference is unnoticable, if it is even existent.

In the end none of that matters at all. Once the mac was a few weeks old I stopped thinking about all these little and worthless things and after an initial "Omg it's so pixelated" when I got my iPad Mini, I start to believe that all these Retina resolutions don't matter in general.

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for!:)

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada

Very unbiased and good post !

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
So based on the fact that the only reason I don't do high end work on my MBA is due to lack of storage...A Maxed out 13" rMBP wthe at least 512GB preferably 720, of storage space would seem to fit the bill nicely...I guess I could then sell the MBA as size and form factor are identical.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Based on info from here and a couple of other boards, the attached is the proposed spec for the 13" Only concern I have is 8GB of RAm is the only option on the 13" range....Only way to get 16GB is to max out the 15" which I'm trying to avoid

Ideas?

Attachments

• New 13%22.png
    New 13%22.png
    177.8 KB · Views: 175

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Wrong spec...:) This is the proposed rMBP the other is a cMBP!:eek:

Same question though...Is 8GB enough for heavy lifting?

Attachments

• New Mac.png
    New Mac.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Just about to pull the trigger...I always forget about the 14 day returns option...If I do find the 13" screen too limited, I can return and buy the 15"....hopefully I won't have too!

Last edited:

jayfire124

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Just about to pull the trigger...I always forget about the 14 day returns option...If I do find the 13" screen too limited, I can return and buy the 15"....hopefully I won't have too!

I am in exactly the same boat and keep going between the 2 in my mind also. Will be watching for your views with anticipation.......

arsimoun

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013
California
13" vs. 15" screen...

I am a big fan of the 15" screen. I know a lot of people who use the 13" and they are very happy with their machines. Aesthetically, I find the 13" dimensions some, ineffably, more pleasing. That said, I use a 15" machine and I would not want to step down to the 13" model.

The decision of what screen size you like best is a personal one. Try them both out and see what you prefer. Do you normally work with more than one window open? Do you like to see the desktop background when you work? Figure out how you like to work and then go from there.

Adam Rodman

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2012
im in the same boat right now and have both machines with me.
some days I like the 15" over the 13" and other days vice verse...

need to sell one.:rolleyes:

uhhhh...:confused::confused:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
The 13" came yesterday, and all I can say is that if anybody wants a small form factor powerhouse, max out a 13" and you won't look back...Even if you have used a retina IPad you are in for a shock when you turn the rMBP on...pin sharp text, and depth of detail make this exactly what I wanted, and I can honestly say that I won't need the whole week to decide....It won't be going back for a 15". I don't like the new MagSafe cable, but nobody else seems to either...I can see why they did it...it's likely that the cable will stay straight, with less fails due to fraying.....the cooling vents are large, and I plan on a weekly brush out there...haven't yet thrown anything heavy at it, but I will today.

I guess my Apple Girl has won her bet, which means I will send chocolates! It's a really fantastic machine.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
I dont think theres a way to find out, but i could be wrong, if there is a way, please let me know.

hmmm, I thought there was a terminal command. Maybe it doesn't work anymore?

Something like this (copy and paste into terminal):
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Then the results would be:
LPXXXX = LG
LSNXXXX = Samsung

Last edited:

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2012
hmmm, I thought there was a terminal command. Maybe it doesn't work anymore?

Something like this (copy and paste into terminal):
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Then the results would be:
LPXXXX = LG
LSNXXXX = Samsung

as far as I know, that only works on the 15" RMBP

----------

I just did the IR test with the checker broad once a day for 3 days for 20mins and it passed my naked eyes each time so Im happy with that.

this is on my 13" RMBP, I checked the SSD and it was a SM so its a samsung SSD therefore I dont have to worry about the lag or crazy fan spin ive been hearing about.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Samsung SSD ( 512) there is a way of telling the 13" screen maker via the serial number I think, but I can't remember it...I might dig around later, for now, it's flawless...I don't know that it follows if you have a Samsung SSD then you have a Samsung panel...but it might make sense!

Last edited:

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2012
Samsung SSD ( 512) there is a way of telling the 13" screen maker via the serial number I think, but I can't remember it...I might dig around later, for now, it's flawless...I don't know that it follows if you have a Samsung SSD then you have a Samsung panel...but it might make sense!

let me know if theres a way to find out about the screen ;)

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
I've thought long and hard about the same problem. I mean I only really want a laptop to replace my iPad. But then the added flexibility of having the full power GPU in there is something I believe I'd miss.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the next revision to decide.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
let me know if theres a way to find out about the screen ;)

All the old tricks in terminal just give "Colour LCD" Used to give you the serial number which you could then Google....No luck I'm afraid.

----------

A word about battery life here too. I know that it comes out on top of the list for battery hours, but I've been using the newbie on battery power for 4 hours now...Nothing intensive, but I still have 50%. Very good considering the retina screen. Makes me even more confused as to why MS can only get a measly 3-4 hours out of their "Surface Pro" I'm guessing I'll get around 6-7 hours in light use. That's impressive.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.