Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google Now, an Android-only app that aims to provide users with "the right information, at just the right time", is coming to iOS, if a leaked video is to be believed. Google reportedly posted this promotional video to YouTube accidentally. It was quickly removed, but not before an Engadget tipster snatched a copy of it.

googlenow.jpg
The video has since been pulled from YouTube and appears to feature the same voice actress as the original Now announcement (which you'll also find after the break for comparison). Supposedly, Now will be accessible in an upcoming iOS app update simply by swiping up from the main screen. Of course, there's always the chance that is an impressive fake or even a canceled project that's only being leaked now. We've reached out to Google for comment, but even if the search giant remains silent, we're confident the truth will be known soon enough.
Google Now aggregates various bits of information that users may need throughout their day, including flight notifications, weather, traffic, reservations, packages, birthdays, transit information, stocks, movie times and more.

The original Google Now launch video is available on YouTube for comparison to the leaked one above.

Article Link: 'Google Now' for iOS Promotional Video Leaks on YouTube

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
hate to admit it but those google apps look by far bettet than those native apple apps nowadays. u can tell most were made in 2007 and havent seen a ui change since

lets hope theres some cydia tweak coming that makes it a full on siri replacement like it did with chrome

Last edited:

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I'm all for options. But I'm also for simplicity. This is just more ways to get the same data you already have in other ways. Not sure what is animation and what is app, but the whole vid was quite cheesy.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Wait, so there will be a Google app AND a Google Now app?

Or would the plan be for this to replace the old one?

Why not just add these features to the Google app?

EDIT: It looks like it IS part of the old app, so why a new name? Is the regular Google search not "now" anymore? I hate pointless branding.

Aug 26, 2008

Google now IS in the Google app.

Have to admit, I thought this was a clear competitive advantage for Android. It's amazing on my Nexus 4. Of course it will still be a little better on Android because it's not all sandboxed into a goofy singular app, but interesting strategy on Google's part...

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009

EDIT: It looks like it IS part of the old app, so why a new name? Is the regular Google search not "now" anymore?

Google search is reactive, Google Now is proactive.

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Haven't used Android, but if you use voice search via the Google app on iOS, then you know what lighting fast and accurate voice-to-text feels like (i.e., not Siri).

Only problem is any time and hassle saved with Google Now over Siri will be lost by opening another app. As with maps, wish I could set my default "assistant".

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lol...

"Google now praises the ipad.".... I liked this on Android...... Now, if it DOES come to IOS, it will make sense....

However, its still true .... you just can't stop Apple fans can you..

Bring in a kitchen sink, and us Apple fans will say "ooohhh" and buy it in a heart beat.

We're soo dam predicable aren't we. :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Haven't used Android, but if you use voice search via the Google app on iOS, then you know what lighting fast and accurate voice-to-text feels like (i.e., not Siri).

Those few years Google had GOOG-411 available really gave them an advantage. Their voice recognition (at least for me) is much better than Nuance/iOS.

AppleMad98004

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2011
Cylde Hill, WA
i am really hopeful for this since more often than not Google Now works faster and better than Siri.

I agree for web searches etc.... But Siri main design is to control the device. ie text messages, reminders, voice control etc.... and not search for information.

----------

hate to admit it but those google apps look by far bettet than those native apple apps nowadays. u can tell most were made in 2007 and havent seen a ui change since

lets hope theres some cydia tweak coming that makes it a full on siri replacement like it did with chrome

Buy and Android if you like the apps and UI that google makes...... Android is their baby.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC

The Google iOS apps look better than the Android apps too. Even some Android users admit that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.