Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Hi there.

Apple just made me one of there "One time exceptions", and agreed to replace my iPod Touch 1G... but the girl didn't know with which model it would be replaced. Does anyone know if they still hold inventory stock of the 1G Touch for such situations?

Also... WOW! Legendary and polite CS from Apple, as usual! A lovely girl talked to me for an hour, and most of the conversation was about her life and hobbies - interesting and SO unexpected :)

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
Highly doubt it.

Chances are they'll give you 4th gen.

Its just easier to pull out those from the back.

Its not impossible for them to still have a 1st though. When they recalled the 1st gen ipod nanos, some people got 1st gen replacements. later people got 6th gen replacements. Myself being one of those people who got 6th gen ones.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Highly doubt it.

Chances are they'll give you 4th gen.

Its just easier to pull out those from the back.

Its not impossible for them to still have a 1st though. When they recalled the 1st gen ipod nanos, some people got 1st gen replacements. later people got 6th gen replacements. Myself being one of those people who got 6th gen ones.

Maybe I should have clarified the situation; this will be an Applecare replacement by post, not from a store.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
They'll still have first gens.

I won't be accepting a 1st gen as a replacement, as every app I attempt to download says "Sorry, iOS 5.0 needed". That's silly - can't use ANY apps, which is half the point.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I won't be accepting a 1st gen as a replacement, as every app I attempt to download says "Sorry, iOS 5.0 needed". That's silly - can't use ANY apps, which is half the point.

You want to trade in your busted first generation yet won't except a refurbished first generation in exchange?

Somehow I know I must be reading that wrong.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

Forgive me if I'm wrong - but the 1G didn't ship with an app store at all, so you bought it not expecting to run apps.

Dude - Apple are offering you a free replacement of a 5 year old device. What do you expect? Jesus. If you want to run current apps, you'll need to buy a newer device. End of.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

If you don't want a 1st gen iPod touch, then buy a newer one. Apple is already doing something they almost never do by replacing it for free. You bought what you bought, and if you want something newer, you'll have to buy it.

That said... I sure hope it works out for you and Apple gives you a newer model! That would be awesome.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
If you don't want a 1st gen iPod touch, then buy a newer one. Apple is already doing something they almost never do by replacing it for free. You bought what you bought, and if you want something newer, you'll have to buy it.

That said... I sure hope it works out for you and Apple gives you a newer model! That would be awesome.

Actually I totally agree with you; I cannot "expect" so much, after all :)

thank you, have a super day! :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[mode note]
Lets keep the bickering down - I've removed some of the OT posts.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Hi there.

Apple just made me one of there "One time exceptions", and agreed to replace my iPod Touch 1G... but the girl didn't know with which model it would be replaced. Does anyone know if they still hold inventory stock of the 1G Touch for such situations?

Also... WOW! Legendary and polite CS from Apple, as usual! A lovely girl talked to me for an hour, and most of the conversation was about her life and hobbies - interesting and SO unexpected :)

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

mate what was you problem and what you told them to get it swapped for free?
I have an ipod touch 1G that has been sittting in a drawer for long with the WSOD... I wish they will swap it for a never one..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.