Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applemaps-150x150.jpg
Apple has updated its iOS Maps application with Flyover support or expanded Flyover coverage in a number of cities around the world, and updated 3D buildings and turn-by-turn navigation for a number more, reports The Loop. Apple recently pushed significant updates for Maps users in Japan.
Apple also made a number of updates in China, one of the company's newest and biggest markets. Maps in China now has a new coloring scheme that matches the vector-based Maps; new Chinese character font for improved readability; Re-prioritized locations so more relevant/interesting locations display first; Updated road network; and it now contains narrower roads.

In addition to all of these changes, Apple has updated city labels in cities worldwide and improved satellite imagery in a number of countries. Other updates include location information for Apple Stores, businesses, movie theaters, restaurants, airports and transit stops.
The Loop has the full list of cities seeing improvements, noting that Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company has been working hard on fixing the issues with Apple Maps.

Article Link: Apple Maps Gains Flyover and 3D Buildings in Many New Cities

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
As much as some people hate Apple Maps, I'm glad to see some updates rolling in.

Aside from some inaccuracy, I think main issue is lack of POI data (as well as aliases for key POI names and types). While I love Apple Maps as navigation tool (I have since ditched NAVIGON USA) it is fairly weak for POI search.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Not sure how Flyover technology is implemented, but I wonder if the lack of support for Washington, DC has to do with air space restrictions? I want to fly-over my house!

Jadzea

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
To be honest, who cares about flyover when the information in Apple maps is so woefully incorrect.

In the UK POI data is out of date by 10 years (our price records is listed in Leicester still!) and the address information is poor. We have a road nearby that is listed as being in a town 100 miles away!

Many people have spent a long time reporting these errors to Apple and it seems rather than fixing basic data errors they have spent their time on creating fly over cities which, lets be honest, are a poor alternative to street view.

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2005
After the Dvorak article I gave Apple Maps another shot. The previous poster has the same assessment as I do, for navigation it's as good as Google Maps or Waze. Just don't expect it to know where the nearest Starbucks can be found.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
To be honest, who cares about flyover when the information in Apple maps is so woefully incorrect.

In the UK POI data is out of date by 10 years (our price records is listed in Leicester still!) and the address information is poor. We have a road nearby that is listed as being in a town 100 miles away!

Many people have spent a long time reporting these errors to Apple and it seems rather than fixing basic data errors they have spent their time on creating fly over cities which, lets be honest, are a poor alternative to street view.

I guarantee in 5 years' time, Apple Maps will be the choice of the majority.

Although I'm probably wrong. Just wanted to say something ridiculous to have the merit of "I called it first!" :D

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2005

You're correct. A map problem with a simple spelling error that I reported in October hasn't been fixed. I've submitted many updates to Google Maps also. Usually within a few days I get a "You were right!" email from Google.

oldcelt

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2011
UK
Just be nice if they could put my house in the right place. Have told them quite a few times.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I love Maps when it comes to navigation. I think the UI of the turn-by-turn is second to none, and it always takes me to the right place if I drop the pin manually.

However, there are hardly any POIs in my local area... since I live in the centre of Manchester, this is pretty bad!

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Flyover is pointless unless your Spider-Man. Bring back street view.

It gives apple maps a nice distinguishing touch. But I agree.

Apple Maps has a LOOOOONNNNG way to go before catching up with google maps... if it actually does catch up at all.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
You're correct. A map problem with a simple spelling error that I reported in October hasn't been fixed. I've submitted many updates to Google Maps also. Usually within a few days I get a "You were right!" email from Google.

They're probably completely overwhelmed with the volume of corrections being sent over the past few months. It's bound to take a while to integrate them all.

Also, for those complaining that they're working on 3D flyovers but not fixing basic errors -- the programmers doing 3D renders are obviously not the same programmers who are fixing map data.

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I guarantee in 5 years' time, Apple Maps will be the choice of the majority.

Although I'm probably wrong. Just wanted to say something ridiculous to have the merit of "I called it first!" :D

You my be right. In 5 years time, Apple Maps will be the choice of the majoirty...if you have an Apple Device

I wonder if Apple will make a web version, since Google has a maps website, and a maps app

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Anyone else think the pulsating blue circle around your location changed a little. It might just be in my head.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011

Maybe in Leicester this may be the case. However in Glasgow and the surrounding towns I have tested, it's perfect and really accurate. Am impressed by Apple Maps and Flyover.

sculley

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2004
Flyover is a gee-whiz ******** technology that I've only ever used to show people how cool it looks... And then THAT'S IT! I've never used it for any other purpose. Apple should stop wasting time and resources on features that are nothing more than fancy window dressing.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Apple mapping is hopeless in New Zealand. Siri will not work on mapping and does not have street view. Siri is hopeless in most things.

I wish I could change form Apple mapping to goggle mapping for find my friends.

I don't need fly over just a map that is correct and I don't give a toss about China. If we didn't have China the western world would still be a rich place to live.:eek:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Guess I need to inform Apple that the Minnesota Twins no longer play at the Metrodome. :rolleyes:

dbjic6.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.