Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macion23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Heres the story:

My friend gave me a iPhone 5 which was previously with sprint. Is it possible to use it on the Verizon Network ?
Do i need to flash or unlock , or something ?

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Heres the story:

My friend gave me a iPhone 5 which was previously with sprint. Is it possible to use it on the Verizon Network ?

No flashing needs to be done. The ESN of the phone has to be entered into Verizon's system and you would need a Verizon nano SIM. The problem is that Verizon will not enter the ESN in their system. Only way I see you being able to do this is if you know someone who is higher up at Verizon. I would sell it and buy buy a Verizon iPhone.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
You see this is what should also be part of the cellphone unlocking law they are going to pass. That CDMA carriers should be required to accept your phone, its the same technology, there is no legit reason to be blocked out. Sure if it has WiMax don't expect it to work on Verizon but you can still get 3G etc.

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
You see this is what should also be part of the cellphone unlocking law they are going to pass. That CDMA carriers should be required to accept your phone, its the same technology, there is no legit reason to be blocked out. Sure if it has WiMax don't expect it to work on Verizon but you can still get 3G etc.

Umm, the iPhone 5 on Sprint doesn't have WiMax, it has LTE.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Heres the story:

It's impossible to use it on Verizon as they will not accept ESNs from other networks. Your only bet is to try and find someone who is willing to trade for a Verizon iPhone 5 or sell your Sprint one and use the money towards buying a Verizon one.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Unfortunately something like that is impossible with CDMA networks... Now if you wanted to use a GSM network (AT&T/T-Mobile/other prepaid providers), then you can if it's unlocked.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
You see this is what should also be part of the cellphone unlocking law they are going to pass.
It really has nothing to do with subsidy locks. Not that being irrelevant prevents things from being attached to bills anyway...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.