Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattfab

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
I bought an iPad 4 back in December at best buy, without a warranty. I was just wondering if I can still buy AppleCare now 3 months after buying it

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Yep, within the first year.

Nope. Since they came out with Applecare+, which includes damage protection, they require purchase within the first 30 days, and even then they may require a physical inspection if it's not purchased with the device.

toille4

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Where do you live OP?

In Australia we don't have AppleCare+...just regular AppleCare. This can be purchased anytime within the first year.

mattfab

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Nope. Since they came out with Applecare+, which includes damage protection, they require purchase within the first 30 days, and even then they may require a physical inspection if it's not purchased with the device.

So if anything happened to the ipad, not physical damage but like software problems, or something happens with screen, or anything not my fault, would I be able to get another one from apple? Ora free or discounted repair?

----------

In Australia we don't have AppleCare+...just regular AppleCare. This can be purchased anytime within the first year.

Does this apply to the us as well?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
So if anything happened to the ipad, not physical damage but like software problems, or something happens with screen, or anything not my fault, would I be able to get another one from apple? Ora free or discounted repair?

----------

Does this apply to the us as well?

You have a full year warranty from date of purchase, so if any defects become apparent in that time, you're covered and can get a replacement device if that's what's necessary to remedy the problem. HOWEVER, if there's physical damage that occurs before the defect appears then you will likely not be able to get a warranty replacement and will have to pay Apple's out-of-warranty replacement cost.

mattfab

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
You have a full year warranty from date of purchase, so if any defects become apparent in that time, you're covered and can get a replacement device if that's what's necessary to remedy the problem. HOWEVER, if there's physical damage that occurs before the defect appears then you will likely not be able to get a warranty replacement and will have to pay Apple's out-of-warranty replacement cost.

And do I have to have a receipt from when I purchased it at best buy?

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
Even in India, we have only apple care and not apple care plus. So we can make the decision during the whole year from the purchase.

I mean even in the US, they have to have the regular apple care since they are selling all around the world.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I mean even in the US, they have to have the regular apple care since they are selling all around the world.
No, they do not. There are different Apple stores for different countries with different offerings. It's AppleCare+ or nothing for the iPad in the US.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
No, they do not. There are different Apple stores for different countries with different offerings. It's AppleCare+ or nothing for the iPad in the US.

That would suck as u get a window of only one month to get the extended warranty. Sometimes people don't even know I guess.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
That would suck as u get a window of only one month to get the extended warranty. Sometimes people don't even know I guess.

It's an extended warranty that begins at the end of year one combined with an insurance policy which takes effect immediately. Nothing sucks about it.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
It's an extended warranty that begins at the end of year one combined with an insurance policy which takes effect immediately. Nothing sucks about it.

I know what apple care is.

I didn't say that apple care sucks. I meant that having only one month after purchase to decide sucks. Especially when people are used to having one year to decide with all apple products.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I know what apple care is.

I didn't say that apple care sucks. I meant that having only one month after purchase to decide sucks. Especially when people are used to having one year to decide with all apple products.

I know what you meant. My response is that Apple has added damage insurance to Applecare which is a substantial benefit and needs to be implemented pretty much immediately, so reducing the purchase window to 30 days hardly sucks when you consider the added benefit.

(Just to clarify in case you're still confused - aside from phone support, there was little added benefit to the old Applecare that kicked in before the first year ended. The new Applecare+ benefit can be taken advantage of at any point during the first year.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.