Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyrblue35

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
help

I realize the thread was old but i didn't want to start a new one so i was hoping someone could help.

reneeann

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Internet Audio

I have a macbook that I purchased in 2010 and I have a Moshi HDMI mini adapter. I used to be able to have the audio for both internet videos and movies I have on my computer. Now, only the movies on my computer will give sound and I can't get internet sound to work.

I have tested to make sure that I can get some sound, and I do with my computer movies. It's only the internet audio that won't work. I'm hooking up my computer to an LG by the way, if that makes a difference.

Any help??? :confused:

Themegamacman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I have a macbook that I purchased in 2010 and I have a Moshi HDMI mini adapter. I used to be able to have the audio for both internet videos and movies I have on my computer. Now, only the movies on my computer will give sound and I can't get internet sound to work.

I have tested to make sure that I can get some sound, and I do with my computer movies. It's only the internet audio that won't work. I'm hooking up my computer to an LG by the way, if that makes a difference.

Any help??? :confused:

hmm.. That's very strange. Make sure the volume is up on the media player you're using on your computer, so if it's YouTube, make sure the volume is up on the web page player. Also check your computer settings again and make sure the audio is routed to the TV by going into the "sound" category and selecting the TV. Let me know what happens and I'll see if I think of anything in the mean time.

Bullitt0

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
Not Working

Hey my TV does not show up in the list the only option for me to choose is the internal speakers. Is there something I am missing the HDMI mini cable adapter that I have is a Startech.com part number MDP2HDMI. Any help at this point would be great.

Thanks

philthebucket

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Work with boot camp?

does anyone know if these adapters still work on a windows partition through boot camp? i'm running this on a 15" MacBook pro from July of this year ('12). Thanks!

Tolerj

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
I seem to be having the same problem with my Macbook as nyrblue35 is having. Mine was manufactured late 2011. CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM???????????????

miloice

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Difficulty connecting my Macbook Pro (2010 version) to my new LC-39LE440 TV

hi, for the past few evenings, I have been troubleshooting without success.

My LC-39LE440 has no issues connect through HDMI to my HP PC, Dell E6230 notebook, cable TV setup box and DVD recorder. When I connect and disconnect my Macbook Pro, it turns to blue screen for a while indicating it detects the connection and then nothing happens.

Last night, I went back to the shop that sold me the Mini display port strongly suspecting that the port is faulty. The sales person took out a monitor with HDMI input and it worked without any problem ! I went home puzzled and tried this time with my old LG TV which is HD ready. I realized I needed to bootup with the port already connected to detect with the LG. Still, it wasn't able to display correctly despite the Macbook detecting the TV and allowing me to change the resolution, set mirroring and arrangement menu settings.

I tried the same with my sharp Aquos, still nothing. I'm clueless now. The same wires, port, computer. Different screens. At the same time, all other devices worked with my Aquos.

I have also downloaded Gfxcardstatus as suggested by some sites, toggled between Discreet, Dynamic and integrated mode. NOTHING WORKS!

Anyone out there with similar problems that have a solution for it?

:mad:

Bago

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
TV Flickers

We have managed to connect our MacBook Pro (it's 4 years old) to our Samsung HDTV using the mini display port to HDMI female adaptor cable and a HDMI cable. It works fine except that the picture on the TV flickers.

Can you help please?

grtf

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Macbook Pro 10.6.8 to HDMI display

I have an older Macbook Pro with the large DVI port. When I connect it to the Samsung TV HDMI input and hit Detect Displays nothing happens. The TV also tells me that nothing is connected. Is there something else I should be doing? A certain screen resolution to set the Macbook to? Or????

Nov 28, 2010
located
I have an older Macbook Pro with the large DVI port. When I connect it to the Samsung TV HDMI input and hit Detect Displays nothing happens. The TV also tells me that nothing is connected. Is there something else I should be doing? A certain screen resolution to set the Macbook to? Or????

What exact DVI to HDMI adapter do you use, what Mac OS X version is on that Aluiminium MacBook Pro and does the System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement tab show up?

jttwm23

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
46b4c793-33a5-f7bb.jpg

woot!! Best 9 dollars I've spent this year

Fyi I bought it off eBay not amazon

I got mine going too, but I have a question though. Is it possible to view things on the HDTV at a smaller size overall, say like the size on your macbook pro? I'd like this so that I can have more windows up at one time. Let me know, thanks.

----------

What exact DVI to HDMI adapter do you use, what Mac OS X version is on that Aluiminium MacBook Pro and does the System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement tab show up?

Is it possible to view things on the HDTV at a smaller size overall, say like the size on your macbook pro? I'd like this so that I can have more windows up at one time. Let me know, thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I got mine going too, but I have a question though. Is it possible to view things on the HDTV at a smaller size overall, say like the size on your macbook pro? I'd like this so that I can have more windows up at one time. Let me know, thanks.

It depends on the MacBook Pro you have and its native resolution and also on the TV you have and its native resolution.

If MIRROR DISPLAYS is unchecked, the MBP's display will be used with its native resolution (1280 x 800, 1440 x 900, 1680 x 1050, 1920 x 1200 depending on what model you have) and the TV's display will be used with its native resolution (unless you changed that and the TV does provide a higher resolution than the MBP you have).

Themegamacman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012

----------

Is it possible to view things on the HDTV at a smaller size overall, say like the size on your macbook pro? I'd like this so that I can have more windows up at one time. Let me know, thanks.

I don't know about that, but that would be a very very cool feature. Googling now!

alexi86

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
I seem to be having the same problem with my Macbook as nyrblue35 is having. Mine was manufactured late 2011. CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM???????????????

I found this page really helpful where all Macbook and iMac models are listed according to their support for auido output over the Mini DisplayPort http://hdmiguru.hubpages.com/hub/connect-Macbook-to-TV-HDMI

If you have an older model the audio feature might not be supported :(

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2009
And if you have the new Macbook Pro Retina that has a HDMI input pn the side, all you need to use is an HDMI cable.

Works great with my Panasonic TV! Now for traveling, all I need to take is an HDMI cable and I can watch our entire movie collection on an HDTV!

Alcatrazster

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
I've been seeing this question quite a lot lately, so I thought I'd jump in with a tutorial of how to connect any Mac laptop with a Mini Displayport to an HDTV. This allows for both video and audio from one output, the Thuderbolt/Mini Displayport. It is very simple.

What you will need is a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter. I've listed a few options with links below:
(All listed will work the same, the only thing that may vary is build quality. I've listed what I found to be the best. The links are for Amazon.com because it is far cheaper than the Apple store.

And an HDMI Cable (Almost any will do since they're all essentially the same if they work, being as the signal is digital, not analog.)

Now all you have to do is plug the adapter into your MacBook Pro or Air and the HDMI cable into the adapter and into your HDTV. The MacBook should automatically detect the TV and adjust (it will go to a blue screen as it detects the new display and adjusts). If it doesn't and something's not working, see below.

If your audio isn't working: Navigate into System Preferences>Sound>Output and adjust accordingly.

If your video isn't working correctly: Navigate into System Preferences>Displays and click on Detect Displays. You can then choose the "mirroring" option and your computer screen should now be displayed on your TV. If you have any other problems, please let me know.

Hi

Tried connecting and following the procedures ....Have the APPLE DESKTOP WALLPAPER coming on the screen ...thats it ...the screen does not show anything more ..not even the icons or folders ..just does not seem to show anything more ...pls help

Themegamacman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Hi

Tried connecting and following the procedures ....Have the APPLE DESKTOP WALLPAPER coming on the screen ...thats it ...the screen does not show anything more ..not even the icons or folders ..just does not seem to show anything more ...pls help

That's strange. When I get back home I'll look into it, thanks for posting your issue. I'm sure you're not the only one with this problem.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It's set up as a second display and not mirroring.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
It's set up as a second display and not mirroring.
Meaning you just drag your windows to the new workspace as you need.
To have the Dock, menubar and full-screen apps work perfectly on second display, you will have to wait until Mavericks arrives.

Themegamacman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Hi

Did you ever figure it out?

americanGTA

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
MacBook Pro to HDTV

I have a Mini Display to HDMI adapter and HDMI chord. I connected them and plugged it in the TV, but all I got was video, but no sound. I went to the audio settings and tried everything, still nothing. What do I do?

(I have mavericks. My MacBook is 2 years old)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.