Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An upcoming manga comic book series from Japanese artist Mari Yamazaki will feature the life story of Steve Jobs, as told by Walter Isaacson in his best selling biography of the former Apple CEO.

According to Pocket-lint, the officially licensed series will appear in a "female comic" magazine called Kiss, published by Kodansha, Japan's largest manga publisher.

stevejobsmanga.jpg
Yamazaki has been chosen to illustrate the series as she feels "sympathy for Jobs" and has a realistic and charming painting style.  We think she's captured his likeness well, without trying to be photo-realistic and retain character.
Mari Yamazaki is a renowned Manga artist best known for Thermae Romae, which has won several awards.

Article Link: Steve Jobs to be Immortalized in Japanese Manga Series

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Steve Jobs brings a company he founded back from the brink of bankruptcy into the world's most valuable company, revolutionizes multiple entire industries, and basically changes the world, but it takes a manga to immortalize him.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
We think she's captured his likeness well, without trying to be photo-realistic and retain character.
The only think she got right are the fact that SJ was mostly bald and was wearing glasses.

original.jpg

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So how many other "venues" can he be immortalized in? And wouldn't you say he's someone who is already immortalized without any books, movies, exhibits, statues, etc. ?

CReimer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Silicon Valley
"female comic". Comics now have genders?

Posted from his Male MacBook Air

Different audiences. Female readers are concern about relationships with the opposite sex and each other. Male readers are wondering why the guy living with a harem of cute girls is always a clueless schmuck. :p

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
The likeness isn't very good probably to avoid litigation with the Job's family and also
avoid paying a 30% tax to Apple after what happened with the Steverino action figure.

steve-jobs-action-figure-ebay.jpg

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I am surprised it is officially licensed with the name Kiss.

Anyway, I really mean no offence to this artist but I hope this is just a quick study and not the final product because it doesn't have much interest in the style for an award winning manga artist. Look at that beefy neck hahaha

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
You also have to consider the fact that she was drawing Jobs from a different angle.
Drawing from a different angle doesn't change the basic shape of a person's nose, lips, chin, jawline, eyes, ... and so on.
The only likeness with SJ is the receding hairline, the black turtleneck and the fact that he wears glasses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.