Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I'm curious about how it's possible to spend "two minutes" on a tender boat and get anywhere at all.

You're going to go after my two minute guesstimate of how long they would be in the tenders while they transfer to another ship?

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Not now. But back then even the director called her "Kate Weighs-a-lot" She did diet and lost weight for the nude scene, though.

If he said that, he's a douche. And anyone who thinks she was "fat" in that movie is blind. And we wonder why there are teenagers with eating disorders committing suicide on a daily basis.

Kate-Winslet-Titanic-39631.jpg

Sorry for getting OT...but it needed to be said.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
If he said that, he's a douche. And anyone who thinks she was "fat" in that movie is blind. And we wonder why there are teenagers with eating disorders committing suicide on a daily basis.

Yeah I thought people knew that story when I posted. But not everybody is addicted to pop culture, of course. No need to apologize, what did u mean by getting OT? Wait, off topic right? That's my fault, I started it.

Last edited:

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

With every last bit of sincerity I can muster, I thank you for this post. And I don't mean the picture.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
well, it doesn't really matter what company at this point there's no WAY I'll ever consider taking a cruise after this disaster.

It's your loss. Cruises are wonderful. My family and I have been on several and have had an outstanding time on each and every one.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
well, it doesn't really matter what company at this point there's no WAY I'll ever consider taking a cruise after this disaster.

Disaster? They didn't have AC or fresh food for a week.They lived.

These ' disasters ' almost never happen, they are being given money, and another free trip with airface and hotels covered, they'll probably replace any damage luggage as well.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
it's just not for me, I don't see the appeal

7 days of getting wasted and going to random tropical islands full of cheap hookers and even cheaper booze and tons of cool stuff to do? Its fun!

Though now I'm pretty committed, so its the same, minus cheap hookers.

Last edited:

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
I aways thought I would hate cruising, but finally let my wife talk me into trying a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas. I enjoyed it quite a lot and we've been on 4 cruises in 4 years since then. I'm looking forward to the next one, although I would like some different ports of call next time.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I aways thought I would hate cruising, but finally let my wife talk me into trying a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas. I enjoyed it quite a lot and we've been on 4 cruises in 4 years since then. I'm looking forward to the next one, although I would like some different ports of call next time.

I hear this a lot from people. I have a friend who poo-pooed the whole cruise idea (hey, that pun seemed appropriate, given the thread!) until she came back... she was raving about how great it was, and they've gone on more cruises every year since then.

I'll find out for myself in a few months...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So people would rather tolerate a boat filled with feces than to spend 2 minutes in a tender while they transfer to another ship?

Plus, I doubt they would fill the tenders to 160 people to transfer people....

You don't spend two minutes on a tender. If your cruise ship is too big in a harbour for mooring and tenders are used to get people to land, you easily have a half an hour ride. If the cruise ship's engines crap out in the middle of the ocean, let's say 600 miles away from the nearest harbour, it will be 24 hours.

You need to fill the tenders to 160 people if you want to empty the ship. Otherwise you go 24 hours to the harbour with half the people, 24 hours back, then another 24 hours. You still have no luggage.

And the whole thing is not safe. It's safe enough if your ship is hit with disaster and you need to evacuate; 100 times better than the alternative (swimming away from the sinking cruise ship), but if you evacuate a ship, I would guarantee there are broken bones, possibly people killed; and they _don't_ have toilets.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
You don't spend two minutes on a tender. If your cruise ship is too big in a harbour for mooring and tenders are used to get people to land, you easily have a half an hour ride. If the cruise ship's engines crap out in the middle of the ocean, let's say 600 miles away from the nearest harbour, it will be 24 hours.

You need to fill the tenders to 160 people if you want to empty the ship. Otherwise you go 24 hours to the harbour with half the people, 24 hours back, then another 24 hours. You still have no luggage.

And the whole thing is not safe. It's safe enough if your ship is hit with disaster and you need to evacuate; 100 times better than the alternative (swimming away from the sinking cruise ship), but if you evacuate a ship, I would guarantee there are broken bones, possibly people killed; and they _don't_ have toilets.

That was transferring to another ship, not using the tender to reach port......

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
What ship?

Even assuming they had a spare ship, there's no way they would take the risk of transferring thousands of passengers to a different ship when the one they're on isn't in danger.

I also was not saying that is what they should have done. But, it was an option.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Just read that Carnival parent company also operated Costa Concordia (yes they hired Chicken of the Sea).

Oh and there's the recent problem of Carnival Dream losing power.

Seems to be a pattern of a company lacking proper cruise maintenance and crew training.

BigTroll

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
I went on the carnival triumph in 2001 it was amazing, had a daytona usa 2 machine i spent 50 bucks on, and 24/hr pizzeria, the caesar salads were great too, its a shame what happened to it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.