Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Are you kidding me right now?

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

How much function this option gave me. Now silently destroyed... Are we gonna act like this isnt a huge step back?

I miss the glory days when everything was about maximum user satisfaction.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

How much function this option gave me. Now silently destroyed... Are we gonna act like this isnt a huge step back?

Its not Apple's fault.. Its Googles.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Still works if you use youtube on safari, i think its some limitation with 3rd party apps.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Google removed the functionality from their end, not Apple. 3rd party apps can still play music in the background. Rhapsody and Pandora can for example.

Silverrune

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011

Use jasmine, it's a substitute to googles app. It's better in my opinion and has background playing.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

Yeah, it's google who need to update their app, something which I suspect they won't do.

Use another Youtube app, such as Jasmine or McTube, or even use Safari to listen to background audio.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012

Use Spotify if it's music you want. No issues playing that in the background. I love how you're acting like this completely kills the entire deal for you.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

They did it with all apps. Even if you try to play a video in the background from another site, it does that.

It's absolutely ridiculous, I agree. I have found only one solution and that is using the app "McTube" which circumvents this problem.

----------

Its not Apple's fault.. Its Googles.

It is Apple's, actually.

----------

Google wrote iOS and disabled background audio for Safari in iOS 6? Because it worked in iOS 5.

Yep, Apple removed the functionality for ALL apps since iOS 6.1. No more open Safari, go and play a video, click home button, continue playing video by using the multitasking tray (to listen to music, or commentary, for example).

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I'm rather certain its only youtube, seeing how I can still play background music with pandora and soundcloud and spotify.

It's funny seeing people cry over not being able to listen to a video in the background, lol.

We're not talking about background music here. We're talking here about all apps that can play video. Those videos were able to run in the background before iOS 6.1.

Why would you want this? Some people like to play music that's embedded in a video... just because you use Spotify/Pandora/SoundCloud doesn't mean others do.
Also, it is easy for news programmes - for example. Before, you could just play those videos in the background and listen to the news - now you can't.
Finally, it's also nice for the more educative programs or documentaries, so you can listen to them in the background.

Like you, I use services like Spotify - which I find absolutely fantastic - but it is ridiclous that Apple has removed this functionality, even when it is not important to you.

Compare it to News Stand on your homescreen: a lot of people don't use it so a lot of people don't care if it is removed, but some people do actually use it. As irrelevant news stand seems to the first group of people, this second group of people will actually miss it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
All 3rd party apps are "paused" when they are in the background. I assume the old build-in YouTube app were not affected by this.

there was a work around. You could start watching a video, go to the home screen, double tap to bring up multi tasking, swipe right (to go left) and hit play. The audio would continue to play and you could do anything else. Not a lot of people knew about this.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
No. The web app does not work, neither does the official YouTube app.

When I first noticed it, I couldn't even believe it. I restarted my phone twice!

The only thing that does work is McTube, but that does me little to no good considering most of the content I stumble upon I find on the web as I'm browsing. I stopped using the old outdated built in-app a long time ago and also the new official app because of iPhone 5 full-screen issues. The web was the best but that's all gone now.

What about others like Vevo or Vimeo? Neither the app nor the websites work anymore. I dock out and hit the play button at the bottom and nothing.

sauder

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
You have to wonder why they did it though. I think it was an accident.

Last edited:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Made a thread about this a few weeks ago. Was pretty annoyed with the change. Someone suggested the app McTube and I tried it (Jasmine didn't seem to work). McTube works great!

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
When I initially found out about this, that was the moment I first began to fear the post-Steve Jobs era because; what will they disable next?

----------

Made a thread about this a few weeks ago. Was pretty annoyed with the change. Someone suggested the app McTube and I tried it (Jasmine didn't seem to work). McTube works great!

What is so great about having to close out a browser, open up a new app, search for a file you could already have been looking at, and then play it in a special app every time you want to have music in your headphones?

And that's only for youtube videos. What about the rest of the formats? What about stuff that is not on youtube?

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
download app called MCTube, it plays music in the background without any problems

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Yep, Apple removed the functionality for ALL apps since iOS 6.1.

We're talking here about all apps that can play video. Those videos were able to run in the background before iOS 6.1.

The only thing that does work is McTube

Ok...so which is it? Who's right here?

EDIT: Just tried it and it works, so Bobby's right. So, no, it's not something Apple removed in iOS 6.1. My guess is that it's something Apple changed (not removed) and none of these other apps bothered to change to whatever method McTube is using.

Last edited:

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010

EDIT: Just tried it and it works, so Bobby's right. So, no, it's not something Apple removed in iOS 6.1. My guess is that it's something Apple changed (not removed) and none of these other apps bothered to change to whatever method McTube is using.

We both said the same thing.

Background playback is disabled unless an app implicitly is designed for background play like Pandora or Mctube and others like it or the Apple Music app/Podcast App. Anything on the web has been neutered from background playback.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

We're both right. McTube acts as if it is a music player. That doesn't change the fact that you can't play videos (those that actually act as videos) anymore.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
We're both right. McTube acts as if it is a music player. That doesn't change the fact that you can't play videos (those that actually act as videos) anymore.

I can't see how you can both be right. You've said opposite things.

McTube takes the audio from the video and plays it in the background. In what way is that not a video playing in the background?

We both said the same thing.

No, he said that no app can play videos in the background. You said McTube can. Those are contradictory statements. So only one of you can be right.

I tried it and it worked, so I'm saying that you were right.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I can't see how you can both be right. You've said opposite things.

McTube takes the audio from the video and plays it in the background. In what way is that not a video playing in the background?

No, he said that no app can play videos in the background. You said McTube can. Those are contradictory statements. So only one of you can be right.

I tried it and it worked, so I'm saying that you were right.

If you read back, you'll see that I also mentioned McTube. McTube acts as if it is a music player and music players can continue to play music in the background. McTube isn't playing a video with sound, no they are taking the sound of a video and play that sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.