Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Hello,

I'm new to the world of the "mac users" since I recently bought a Macbook Air 13" inch... In order to use it as a student, I will first need to take it with me, everyday and I just noticed that my current backpack would definitely not do.So I'm seeking for a backpack :

-Which I could, like my current one put arround my shoulder

-Where there would be enough space to fit my laptop, several books, and some other tools...

-That would make it difficult to steal the laptop (some of my classes does not require laptops, or else the teachers does not allow to use them) so I will have to put the backpack at my feets while I take notes the old way ^^.

Thank you for your help, and especially to student, don't hesitate sharing your experience ^^

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I have a NorthFace Heckler backpack. It has a computer pouch in the back with a clip to lock it in. It isn't the most solid compartment, but at least is has a "locking" feature of some kind. I am not a student, but I travel for work and the laptop always goes with me.

41xuT3B--cL.jpg

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
There is a backpack, case, sleeve super-thread somewhere here.

Can't help you with theft. How exactly would a backpack help in that regard? Have a locked compartment? So they just take the whole thing? :confused:

Some post has complained about heavy books on top of the laptop causing the screen to flex and coming in contact with keys. SOLUTION: Get a backpack with laptop pocket on front, or don't rest backpack on its back.

If you desired backpack is not well-padded, I recommend a separate THICK sleeve to protec it. I already dropped mine a couple of times onto hard pavement and I have to say my sleeve saved it. Air easy to dent when dropped on its side.

Juya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
I have an incase neoprene sleve personally... Is it good ?:/

Even if I turn the macbook around, it will be against my back, so I wouldn't recommand it...

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I have an incase neoprene sleve personally... Is it good ?:/

There are thin and thick neoprenes. If you can say your neoprene is RUBBER than yes.

I have to say am not a fan of neoprene because it's soft so one has to first remove the padded laptop from the backpack THEN remove the laptop from the sleeve. I am mister no hassle, lazy user, so naked laptop must be able to remove from backpack with a fluid motion (doesn't help with theft?) I have a WaterField, open-top, ballistic nylon (stiff) sleeve which is velcro'ed to my backpack so I just unzip backpack, use left hand to hold backpack and right hand to remove laptop. U may think this is silly but after a while it saves you lots of wasted motion, and no fumbling in front of cute coeds. :)

Juya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Actually, lot of movements doesn't bother me all that much...

And I already bought the neoprene one, so I don't think I will be able to send it back, fortunately I have placed a hard shell (bought on the apple store) on my macbook, do you think it will be enough ?

Thanks for the backpack, but I would much prefer a shoulder bag if I can find one... I'm used to those ^^"

CyrusKafaiWu

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011
Actually, lot of movements doesn't bother me all that much...

And I already bought the neoprene one, so I don't think I will be able to send it back, fortunately I have placed a hard shell (bought on the apple store) on my macbook, do you think it will be enough ?

Thanks for the backpack, but I would much prefer a shoulder bag if I can find one... I'm used to those ^^"

A bit pricey. but alot of people prefer these type of messenger bags: http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Can't help you with theft. How exactly would a backpack help in that regard? Have a locked compartment? So they just take the whole thing? :confused:

i suspect the theory is that a backpack makes it less obvious that he has a laptop than a computer bag... although i don't think that would stop library thieves...they see a backpack and they're going to swype it.

i for one cycle everywhere with my laptop so i have a briefcase-type pannier that attaches to my bike that has a laptop sleeve. i keep my laptop in a neoprene inside that.

for those of you bike people out there who are interested, it's the Arkel Briefcase. It was expensive, but it's the best bag i've ever owned and definitely the best pannier.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
If you're carrying a bunch of textbooks and things, I recommend getting a hard case as well, since pressure from the books, bumping your backpack on corners, etc, can cause more damage to your MBA. I got the BooqBag Vyper, and Wenger backpacks are good quality and easy to find with lots of variety.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.